Average evening LTE speeds under 1MBs

i-give-up

As my screen name implies... I-Give-Up

I give up on t-mobile.. and ONLY because of the tower that services my apartment

For almost 6 months now, evening speeds are so slow.. i cant even stream xfinity tv (need 3 Mbps minimum)

I can drive 2 minutes north, to the next closest tower.. and get over 100 Mbps

I am running a pair of T-Mobile S8+ phones, and both have same slow speeds

I even just took delivery of a new S8 Active, after being told that the tower in question would start testing 600 MHz band 71 on 12-29-17... lies.

Looking to go back to verizon as they seem to ALWAYS have at least 75 Mbps speeds.. consistently in the evenings.

My work phone is the same S8+ as the above, but Verizon version. In the same area, 2 minutes north of my apartment... where I get 100 Mbps on t-mobile.. my verizon S8+ hits over 127 Mbps

I have made over 50 calls to customer support team (the best), been given account credits (thanks but they don't fix speed issues), and also reported over a dozen tower tickets to tech support (this is the problem department)... still, 1.5 Mbps or less... EVERY evening.

Anyone out there have any solutions? I have even gone through 3 different versions of cellspots... all useless as the only boost signals... not speeds

Without the cell spot(s) I already have 4 out of 5 bars.

I-Give-Up

All replies

• snn555

Re: Average evening LTE speeds under 1MBs

WiFi cellspot. If you have home internet that's the solution. If not, and the booster and lte cellspot don't work, then your phone or sim might be at issue.

• i-give-up

Hello snn555,

I do not have and can't afford home internet.

My phone is my home internet..  as well as my cable tv.

It is not/cannot be the phone(s) or SIM card(s) as they get super fast speeds ANYWHERE ELSE in southern California... but my home apartment.

I am on top floor, three floors up with a 6' line of sight to the outside balcony. No obstructions from buildings or trees.

4 bars all of the time for signal strength.

Phone is actually a bit faster turning off LTE and using just 4g

See for yourself here... this is with LTE on

Screenshot_20180106-192900.png

Screenshot_20180106-193032.png

Any other advice?

• i-give-up

Speeds this morning...

Screenshot_20180107-100056.png

Someone at T-Mobile please explain this to me!

• tmo_mike_c

Oh boy. We certainly want you getting the fastest speeds available. You brought up an interesting point about this happening at your apartment but speeds are faster in other places. This normally results in a Service Complaint for the area in question. Has this been filed for you? If so, when was it filed?

• dragon1562

As mentioned by other users Band 12 is ment simply for coverage and does not have enough spectrum dedicated to it to allow for super fast speeds. I'm sorry that you have issues but I think we should be clear and reasonable about two things. One is the simple fact that any carrier you go to will never and I mean ever have a consistent speed of over 100+mb with the current tech that we have today. 2nd is the fact that I don't think you are being fair to T-mobile. Its always easy to look at other networks or look back to old carriers with rose tinted glasses but its not the reality. Plus no cellular network can truely replace a old school fixed broadband connection.

So here is what I suggest you do. Stop buying phones and ask for a signal booster that doesn't boost band 12. This will allow you to connect to band 2 or 4 which genrally provides better LTE speeds. I also recommend that you try to have someone else test speeds in this location. I also wanted to ask what your data usage looked like when running these test? If you are over the soft cap then depritization could be effecting speeds during times of congestation for you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • miket

My guess - at home you seem to have to connect to Band 12 as shown on your screen.   Afaik, band 12 isn't equipped to deliver loads of fast data.   If you look at your LTE screen where you get fast data - I'll bet you are on Band 4.   

• tmo_chris

dragon1562 brings up an excellent point. While our data plans are unlimited, if you are in an area that suffers from congestion due to peak usage times and have used more than 50GB in a single billing cycle, your data speeds could be slowed down only while in the congested area during the cycle you had already used 50GB. If you use your phone as your home internet as well as your source of media streaming then 50GB could easily be reached.

• i-give-up

Good evening everyone. I appreciate all of your insights but I hate to say that all of it is useless. I am definitely on band 4 I've only used 3 gigs of data as of 5 minutes ago when I ran these tests. Take a look for yourself and whoever finds out what the Hell is going on?Screenshot_20180113-172743.png

• i-give-up

Screenshot_20180113-172655.png

• i-give-up

Screenshot_20180113-172821.png

• i-give-up

Meanwhile I bet you all, that tomorrow morning I will be seeing speeds like this! look at the latitude and longtitude...it's the same spot that I'm standing at right now except it's in the morning not in the eveningScreenshot_20180113-173823.png

• i-give-up

Meanwhile... HSPA+ is faster than 4GLTE.

Would love to hear from a TM tower engineer!

Screenshot_20180113-175613.png

• i-give-up

Screenshot_20180113-175659.png

• dragon1562

So it definitely just looks like a matter of congestion. People must be very heavy users in the area and the single tower can't handle it all with the current resources available to it. What I would suggest is using the HSPA+ as a band-aid fix when LTE is slow since the 2.25mb download speed is still usable for most things only including streaming of video in 720p.

I would also attempt to ask for a booster to see if this helps in any way to provide a consistent speed or boost some frequency your not able to pick up normally. I can assure  you of one thing though and its that T-mobile will eventually improve your areas backhaul/coverage further. I had a similar instance of 5 bars of LTE with peak speeds only ever being around 1mb. It was due to a lack of backhaul mostly but one morning I woke up to no service and when it was back I would pull 75+mb down which is crazy fast for my town and market. So try and be patient and maybe look into a cheap internet provider that can provide the more consistent speeds that you need since all wireless phone networks have busy hours where speeds will drop signflity. Just come to State College, PA to see how AT&T halts to a crawl during lunch time.

Hope things get resolved though sooner rather than later for you.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    • tmo_chris

Definitely congestion. The good news is that we see this congestion happening on the network and we are constantly looking for ways to alleviate it as we know how much of a pain it causes our customers. If you have not already, please contact us so that we can get the report set up for your specific account and area.

• landonloco

I have a similar situation with speeds just like you but mine is way worse congestion in my house it starts around 11 am and stays on speeds below 1 megabit till 12 am even 4G thing is 5 min from my home I get decent 4G speeds LTE speeds are meh barely 3 towers covering a quite long area with lots of houses so a lot congestion on LTE at least in my town hope that with band 71 speeds improve a little bit btw I am Puerto Rico custumer so here we got a plain network mostly consisted of pure band 4 or 2 no carrier agrandation or any other LTE advanced tech probably due to the population but still there is areas in need of it

• i-give-up

America's fastest 4G LTE network at its best!

Screenshot_20180121-171819.png

• i-give-up

Screenshot_20180121-171840.png

• i-give-up

Greetings all,

Leaving magenta at the end of this month.

I have 3 phones for sale.

2 Samsung S8+ and 1 Samsung S8 active.

All three are like new.

The S8+'s are the buy one get one's that we got with our Note 8's (we're bringing notes over to at&t)

Package also comes with 2 new Samsung VR units (from promo)  and S8+ keyboards w/cases

$1500 for everything

• miket

Why can't you use all those phones on your new carrier?  

I am not sure of posts like this is proper on the company-sponsored forum. I would suggest you go to the long time popular website howardforums.com  which has users from every carrier in the US and Canada.

And finally, it is probably less than six months before the new Samsung models come out. They will have the new band 66 that will be used my T-Mobile.  I would suggest that T-Mobile users wait the 4 to 6 months before buying any new phone so they can take advantage of the new band 66.

While your new carrier give you credits for your phones?

• i-give-up

Hello, the s8's don't have band 17 that at&t works on... similar to our TM band 71. I bought the s8 active just for the band 71 access, but unfortunately that LTE band will not be going on line here in southern California for a long time.

It's so sad, I love my magenta... but all I ask of them is 2-3 hours every night of at least 3 mbps so I can stream some tv with.

But I can't even get 1mbps in the evenings where I live.

What's stupid is I can drive up the street and get over 100mbps downloads.

Oh well, wish they would just fix my tower.

Will miss you, magenta ☹

• dragon1562

I'm sorry that this is the option that you must go with as it is very constantly. I do want to ask before making this decision if you were ever able to try a booster in the home to see if that made in difference at all. I know you tried useing HSPA+ and I know what you are asking for is not much but just wanting to make sure we tried everything.

Also I hope AT&T provides the signal you need if that really is the last resort/ straw.

• dragon1562

also want to add that the devices you are attempting to are to expensive for the 2nd hand market. I know they are like new but they are still technically used and they are locked to T-mobile. I get that you want to recoup losses but realistically speaking you should only expect to cover about 60% of their value as phones are like cars and lose 10% off the top the moment of purchase. The adds on like the VR headsets also don't add much value to many and can be had for cheap. Selling in person or basically any site thats not Ebay would be recommended as this forum is not intended for such things as a user mentioned. I recommend also getting paid in cash. I have sold many a phone in my years and its always best to have cash in hand since people can do chargebacks with things like Paypal.