Duplicate SMS/MMS with WiFi Calling On

poolfloat

When using WiFi Calling on my device, I frequently get duplicate/triplicate messages. I also frequently get errors that messages failed to download. This happens for multiple people, and multiple carriers. I've most recently experienced it on messages received from T-Mobile and Verizon.

My current phone is an LG V30, but it has happened on my V20, S8+, Note8, and others as well. I use DIGITS on my Verizon iPhone, and it does not receive the duplicated messages.

I can provide screenshots and timestamps to T-Mobile staff, upon request via PM.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: Duplicate SMS/MMS with WiFi Calling On

Hi, poolfloat! I can totally appreciate that you want to hear from your friends... once, not two or three times.
        It sounds like you've had this trouble across multiple devices, and only while connected to WiFi, is that correct? Are you receiving these duplicate/triplicate messages through the DIGITS app?

• tidbits

poolfloat wrote:

When using WiFi Calling on my device, I frequently get duplicate/triplicate messages. I also frequently get errors that messages failed to download. This happens for multiple people, and multiple carriers. I've most recently experienced it on messages received from T-Mobile and Verizon.

My current phone is an LG V30, but it has happened on my V20, S8+, Note8, and others as well. I use DIGITS on my Verizon iPhone, and it does not receive the duplicated messages.

I can provide screenshots and timestamps to T-Mobile staff, upon request via PM.

Seems like iOS digits is the problem.  Since beta there have always been reports like these here and there, and always has something to do with digits on a iDevice.

• poolfloat

Incorrect.

I have been using DIGITS for around a year now, but the issues have been around for almost 4 years. It's something with the network and WiFi Calling, but it is denied constantly, because Engineering doesn't want to properly troubleshoot.

• tidbits

I have been using digits since beta.  For some reason something between iOS and wifi calling causes the problems.  Back then it only happened when those 2 are met.

• poolfloat

DIGITS has existed for about 1 year now, and my issue has existed for almost 4 years.

• tidbits

poolfloat wrote:

DIGITS has existed for about 1 year now, and my issue has existed for almost 4 years.

It's called basic troubleshooting and I will tell you this if it happened to you for 4 years and not people around for the last 4 years in your area it's something you have installed that's more than likely causing the problems.  A lot of people don't realize even apps can affect the device performance.

Here's one for example.  I have said this for years, and people keep saying that's not it.  Do you have a battery app? Does it modify the sleep states of radios?  That right there could cause double texts.  Also if you use clear memory apps as well can cause double texts.

Some apps like Words With Friends 2 can break the Pixel 2's 'Now Playing' music recognition

• poolfloat

I don't use any of those questionable apps on my phones. I'm very well versed in Android, having used it since 2.1 on my Droid X.

I have experienced the issue on bone stock Android (Nexus 6), Samsung versions, LG versions, and HTC versions. Some with and without root, most without root. I have also built Android ROMs and kernels from source. A simple search on Google will show that duplicate/triplicate messages on T-Mobile WiFi Calling is incredibly common.

I've even had it happen on a secondary line of mine, using a 100% stock Galaxy S8, with zero SMS changes, including no use of DIGITS.

• tidbits

poolfloat wrote:

I don't use any of those questionable apps on my phones. I'm very well versed in Android, having used it since 2.1 on my Droid X.

I have experienced the issue on bone stock Android (Nexus 6), Samsung versions, LG versions, and HTC versions. Some with and without root, most without root. I have also built Android ROMs and kernels from source. A simple search on Google will show that duplicate/triplicate messages on T-Mobile WiFi Calling is incredibly common.

I've even had it happen on a secondary line of mine, using a 100% stock Galaxy S8, with zero SMS changes, including no use of DIGITS.

All of that means nothing.  You are still installing the same apps you generally do regardless if it is stock, rooted, or what not.  Like I said it doesn't happen with everyone and sometimes its an app that is common with each users and over the years.  People rarely change their app selection even if they switch devices. 

• poolfloat

My app selection does change fairly often, but none of them are particularly special. Banking apps, social media apps, video streaming apps, etc. I don't use any apps that modify connections or their settings, and I don't use any third party SMS apps. I use whatever the stock app is on the device that I am using at that time. I also do not bounce back and forth between devices, only using one at a time, until I utilize JOD to get a different one.

• dragon1562

Have you tried disabling digits all together and re-setting it up ?

• poolfloat

Please stop blaming DIGITS.

This issue occurred long before it was available, and the problem with duplicated messages has happened for as long as I've had T-Mobile. Across 15+ devices and numerous SIM changes.

The engineers never take it seriously, and always close tickets within 48 hours. Nothing has ever been done to improve it.

• dragon1562

I and other users on the form are not attempting to blame digits. We are just trying to narrow down the reason behind this. You can also try reaching out to the T-force team since they will have more tools necessary to assist you as this forum is made up of fellow users like yourself that attempt to provide info and a few admins.

• poolfloat

I posted here because I've already been through T-Force on Twitter and on the phone. It always ends with a ticket being opened, and then Engineering closes it within 24-48 hours, saying there's no issue.

I only find out the ticket is closed when I call for a status.

It's just frustrating that no matter how detailed my posts are, they get misunderstood by the T-Mobile staff that read them. I've had to repeat information that was already provided in the OP several times.

• tidbits

poolfloat wrote:

I posted here because I've already been through T-Force on Twitter and on the phone. It always ends with a ticket being opened, and then Engineering closes it within 24-48 hours, saying there's no issue.

I only find out the ticket is closed when I call for a status.

It's just frustrating that no matter how detailed my posts are, they get misunderstood by the T-Mobile staff that read them. I've had to repeat information that was already provided in the OP several times.

I suggest you turn on your logcat through the developers menu and log everything every time you get duplicates, and see what the common problem is.  Also you at times you don't give any details and drop another detail later on expecting people to know stuff as to why you are confusing people.

• poolfloat

I have not added any additional details that change how my issue presents itself. I did have to elaborate a few times because T-Mobile staff reading my posts kept misunderstanding what I wrote, but I didn't add anything different. The first post is a perfect summary of my issues.

Logging is not an issue, since I cannot predict when it will happen. The only thing guaranteed to eventually cause it, is by turning on WiFi Calling.

• dragon1562

Although tidbits was a bit forward he has a point. If you are unwilling to go through all the possibilities you will just have to deal with the issue. I myself am also well versed in Android and IOS but it doesn't mean I can't overlook something silly that acts up. If you want the best help you will need to deal with T-force. This way you can record the conversations and get this escalated. Be kind and just cooperate one last time so you can get it done right or try to resolve it yourself with your own knowledge.

• poolfloat

I am not unwilling to work with T-Force. That's why I posted here. Because phone and Twitter has failed, I'm hoping that this thread will get some results. When I had some unrelated DIGITS issues, even after the beta concluded, I was able to get proper troubleshooting when starting here. Twitter works when your bill is messed up, but this is more than that.

However, someone dismissing my issues as unique to me, when it's quite clear that it's not, serves no purpose than to irritate me.

• tidbits

poolfloat wrote:

I have not added any additional details that change how my issue presents itself. I did have to elaborate a few times because T-Mobile staff reading my posts kept misunderstanding what I wrote, but I didn't add anything different. The first post is a perfect summary of my issues.

Logging is not an issue, since I cannot predict when it will happen. The only thing guaranteed to eventually cause it, is by turning on WiFi Calling.

Well you never said it was happening to you for 4 years and you dropped that bombshell on me after a series of back and forth between us.  So how am I supposed to know about that information.  Doing things like that does cause confusion and you may be doing the same as you are not taking to the same reps all the time when you call in or on twitter.

• poolfloat

I mentioned in a reply to Mike C, that the issue has been happening nearly the entire time I've been with T-Mobile. So yes, you are correct that it was a reply to you in which I first mentioned the 4 year number. However, from my list of devices used, it's not a stretch to conclude that I've been with T-Mobile for a long time, rather than 3-6 months.

This whole thing is blowing up now. What I want is for T-Mobile staff to reply to these messages, and to them contact me directly to get this escalated. Literally (and no I'm not exaggerating) every time I make first contact to open a ticket, it gets closed within 48 hours. So I want them to reach out, and for them to open the case. Maybe, just maybe, that will help get this resolved.

Lastly, if T-Mobile would focus a little more of their Band 12 penetration, instead of a 100% race to 600MHz, most people reliant on WiFi Calling would no longer be. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that would solve my issue. Outside my office, 100% signal. Inside, barely Edge. Yet Verizon on their 700MHz works perfectly.

• dragon1562

T-mobile only has a 5x5 block of usable band 12 in select markets. The race for deploying the 600mhz(band 71) spectrum is to alleviate the issues you are having. Also T-mobile has no control over how the signal will act when you indoors like you mentioned. Materials are just one of many factors of why you may not be getting service.

If you want this escalated your best bet is to pick up the phone and call T-mobile and when you speak to the rep explain that you need the advance technical team and from there get it escalated further. I have had to do this in the past when it came to unlocking my S8 that I bought at full retail price because the IMEI number was not found in the system. Anywho my point is that if you do the right steps your more likely to have success with this.

I'm sorry in advance for this being the case but this forum is not going to be the answer for your woes as it mainly consists of customers like yourself and a few admin who can not look at account level details. Thus, other than pointing to T-force and the like there is not much they can do. I wish you luck my friend but you must speak with T-mobile's care team or message them and record the ticket numbers, who you speak with, and other pertinent info so you can reference when you speak to the next rep. Having as consist info as possible is another step to ensuring your success.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey poolfloat  it's really important to us that this gets resolved for you and I'm sorry you've been dealing with this for so long. I do agree with dragon1562  that the best way to get this escalated is run this by our Tech Care team. Letting them know all the specifics of what you've said here and including that you've filed multiple tickets should help give you more leverage that more steps need to be taken to get this resolved. My apologies if this sounds like I'm repeating the same thing, but our Tech Care folks have the tools needed to get this sent to the right folks. If you do decide to go the T-Force route, link them to this page so they know that you've reached out to them already. They also have everything they need to look up your past tickets and get this escalated for you too.

• webtrax

I read this entire thread and had to comment...

I have 5 lines on my account

4 of the lines use wifi to make and receive calls and text messages

when using wifi , it seems that all the lines receive multiple repeated texts 2,3,4 or more at a time

this is not a device issue, because there are 3 different devices used on these 4 lines

repeating texts happens from all senders, in network and from out of network

this issue has been going on for several months - maybe close to a year now

during this time - even the wifi routers has changed - but the repeating texts continue

it seems to be getting worse, meaning the number of repetitions is increasing   - 3,4 and 5 repeating texts are now common

sometimes, texts are repeated outside of wifi usage

not a device issue... not a wifi router issue...   this only leaves the t-mobile wifi network as a possible issue