WiFi calling abroad with iPhone

peterf

Hi.

I have an iPhone X and while in Europe WiFi calling doesn’t activate anymore. It did last time I was here (beginnin of December)

Anyone having the same issue?

All replies

• snn555

Re: WiFi calling abroad with iPhone

The router or wireless network you used to connect to may have changed settings that don't work with WiFi calling protocols.

• tmo_marissa

This is the first I've heard of this, peterf, but I can definitely see how it would make your trip a very different experience than last time! Were you travelling with anyone else with an iPhone + T-Mobile SIM, and if so, did they have any WiFi calling trouble? It's super strange that this would happen in such a short time period -- can you tell me which software version your iPhone X is on?

• peterf

Hi - I’m travelinf by myself, so unfortunately I have no one to compare with.

I’m using the iOS version 11.2.1

thanx for looking into it.

• tmo_marissa

Darn, it definitely sounds like you're up to date, then! I took a look at Apple's description of the 12/13 update here: About iOS 11 Updates - Apple Support and it doesn't look like this was supposed to contain WiFi changes; although that's not to say that the issue couldn't have cropped up as a result of the update. We don't have any known issues listed for WiFi calling (or WiFi in general) for the iPhone X currently.
                  Was your WiFi calling working before you left the states? Can I confirm that you currently have your T-Mobile SIM in the device? What happens when you connect to WiFi -- you mentioned that it doesn't activate, are you seeing any error messages?
                  Sorry for the twenty questions, just trying to determine if this is a settings issue or something we'd want to have a ticket filed for! Thanks!

• peterf

Hi Marissa

yes I have the t-mobile sim in the phone

ive rebooted etc no change

this morning though - out of the blue it started working.

I have done both differently than yesterday.

Very stange. But great that it’s working again.

Best,

Peter

• peterf

Hi Again.

So this morning it’s not working again.

I just realized that I have no cell service either.

Wich is weird as I have roaming turned on.

Best, Peter

• stevetjr

Now why the wi-fi calling is not working (again) not sure since that is not a carrier specific deal although I have heard iPhones and Wi-Fi calling can be tricky sometimes since Apple doesn't give you the kind of control to use it or not use it like most Androids do.  Now I would double check what settings you do have and make sure they are as expected, I have some how on my Android got them messed up (even though didn't recall changing them) and it locked my phone out of the cell network since it was set for Wi-Fi calling only and had no Wi-Fi.

Second is and have run into this and that is some foreign carriers will boot you periodically when they feel you have been roaming to long but usually re-registering on their network or sometimes even a simple #RON# thru the dialer will resolve the roaming issue. 

• tmo_mike_c

Hi there! Were you able to try the suggestions above? Please let us know if you got the Wi-Fi calling working. Thanks!

• peterf

Hey guys

I’ve tried a little bit of everything.

Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t. There’s doesn’t seem to be a pattern to it. I haven’t changed settings and the carrier changes back and forth.

The WiFi has a very strong signal (I’m 20cm from the router).

On my way back to the U.S. so I can’t test it again until next time I go abroad.

Thanks for your efforts.

Best, pete

• tmo_mike_c

Do you get any error messages when you use Wi-Fi calling? You should test multiple Wi-Fi connections as well to see if there's a difference. I understand you can only do that when you're traveling, but it's definitely worth a shot to see if the same thing happens on another Wi-Fi connection.

• peterf

Hi

I’ve tried on several different WiFi networks. No difference.

I don’t get any error messages - it just doesn’t “turn on”. Instead of seeing “t-mobile WiFi calling” as provider, I see the local provider.

Then out of the blue it’ll turn on and off.

The WiFi signals are all at the top level and the connections “behind” the WiFi are different 50-100mB/s broadband connections.

I’ll test it again when I go to Europe again in February

Best, Peter

• tmo_mike_c

Hmm. That's so odd. I doubt it would be an issue with the device since it works in the U.S. Phones do have the ability to connect to international Wi-Fi connections so it should work, but it's not super clear why it's giving you trouble. I'm really curious if it allows you to connect when you go back so please keep us posted. Side note: I'm kinda jealous you're going to Europe, but I do hope you have a great trip.

• peterf

I’m back in the US now and it’s working just fine. So far it’s only been an issue in Europe. And it’s a strange on/off thing there. The last two days it worked seamlessly.

I’m originally from Denmark, so I go back quite often.

• tmo_chris

I am so sorry we could not get you a resolution this time around With how intermittent it was while you were roaming, I really think it had something to do with the ISPs you were connecting to while abroad. The connection could be blazing fast and you could be right next to the AP but if the QOS, packet loss, or jitter were bad, the phone would have a rough time actually registering to the Wi-Fi calling service and staying connected. Next time you are out there, if you take a laptop or something with you, we can run a few QOS tests on the ISP to see what the results are. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful