Delay receiving group text messages on iPhone 7+

kidphat

I have been having trouble delay receiving (sometimes up to 12 hours and all the messages come in at once after the 12 hours) group text for a couple months.  This has been on going and I called Apple and T-Mobile for the last couple of months.  I changed out a new sim card.  My group text only includes 2 other people, one is an android phone on T-Mobile service and the other is an iPhone 7+ with Verizon service.  I restored my phone and still having the same issue.  I called T-Mobile and they keep creating trouble tickets and escalated to their engineers.  T-Mobile also did a purge on my account and still an issue.  Still they said they don't see anything wrong.  I contacted Apple and said it is on T-Mobile's end.  I have been a T-Mobile member for at least 12 years, I would hate to go to another provider.  But, what is the use of paying for a service that does not work.

All replies

• snn555

To help isolate the issue perhaps you could turn off iMessage and see if regular green bubble MMS texts work. If you find that regular green bubble messages in group texts works then I message might be to blame and that would be apple because iMessage uses their servers.

• magenta3128589

Is this a I Message Group?

Unable To Send Group Messages

If you have created a group in iMessage which includes a user who does not own an iPhone or who has stopped using an iPhone then you may encounter problems in sending messages to that group. This is because every time a message is sent, the dot next to the message will remain green instead of blue. Since the group is not supported by iMessages you will continue to face troubles. Create a new group and delete the old one so that you can continue sending messages to a group when using iMessages.

Tip: De-register your phone number before moving to an Android phone. iPhone users who are considering moving their phone number to an Android device must make sure that they de-register their phone number from iMessages or else anyone who sends a message to them using iMessage will notice a tick confirming that the message has been delivered because your phone number is registered on iMessages. But you will never get that message. This can turn into a big problem for people expecting important messages. Click on the following link to de-register your phone number from iMessages: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • tmo_mike_c

Hi there!

Chris asked some great questions about some specifics that'll help us sort out how to fix this for you. Please give us a reply back and let us know some additional information. Thanks!

• kidphat

This is happening in all locations.  All numbers withing in the group.  Sim card was changed out, and now Tmobile sent me a new iPhone 7+.  We will see if this fixes the problem.  I will update in 2 to 3 weeks.

• kidphat

Will do, thanks!

• jg1023

Has there been any solution to this issue? My wife and I both have iPhone 7s and have been experiencing this same issue. The crazy thing is we have both reset our phones, called T-Mobile and apple support and no one can seem to help. The problem only occurs for us when we are in a group message chain which includes a non-iPhone. Also seems to happen more frequently when we are connected to WiFi. Have walked through multiple steps with T-Mobile and Apple but nothing has helped. This is getting very frustrating because we have been iPhone users for years and have only experienced this since joining T-Mobile. In this day and age group messages are crucial to business, social events, neighborhood updates....PLEASE HELP.

• kidphat

Sorry to hear about your issue similar to the issue I encountered.  Tmobile sent me another iPhone 7 and that resolved my issue.  I have not encountered the issue for 1 month.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • kidphat

Is this happening to your phone as well as your wife?

• jg1023

Yes, both mine and my wife's. Also our sons. All 3 phones are iPhone 7

• tmo_chris

With this being narrowed down to only happening in group messages with non iPhone users, our tech teams will need to open up an engineering trouble ticket to get to the bottom of this. I know you said you have spoken with our support teams before, do you know if a ticket was ever filed for you? If not, gather some examples less than 24 hours old of this issue happening and contact us again with that info. The tech you speak with will be able to pull up your account and get the ticket started for you. 

Some of the info you will need with your examples before you call.

• All numbers involved in the group message
                            • Which of those numbers you are getting delayed messages from
                            • Time / day they sent the message
                            • Time / day you actually got the message.
                              • jg1023

Anytime a group message is composed that includes a phone other than iPhone the message doesn’t send to anyone - not even iPhones. If I turn WiFi off it sends immediately to the group. In group messages with just iPhones the message sends immediately on WiFi or off.

I can send a message at 10am and not get a response until I walk away from whatever WiFi I’m on. Then sometimes messages will deliver. If I turn off my phone and back on multiple texts deliver.

Below are screen shots. This isn’t specific to any number just the fact if it’s an iPhone or not and if WiFi is on or not.

Sent from my iPhone

• dragon1562

Well if it works when you are not connected to wifi then it is not the network. I will also say for many people it is probably iMessage acting up. I want to ask if everyone this is effecting has a friend that is using Android that would have had a Iphone at any point in the past?

• tmo_chris

So just to clarify, are you having an issue sending messages, receiving messages, or both from/to non iPhone users.

Also, when it comes to WiFi, you mentioned that as soon as you turn off Wi-Fi, the message sends to the group. Are you talking about a message you sent to the group or the message that a non iPhone user sent to the group and as soon as you turn off Wi-Fi it works? I am sorry If I am making you repeat yourself but it seems like there is some confusion here about what the specific issue is.

Also, the reason I asked you for examples was not actually for posting here but rather to provide to our support teams over the phone as they will be able to access your account and open the support ticket needed to get this resolved.

• jg1023

Chris, we are having the issue both on WiFi and off. It happens more frequently when we are connected to WiFi - this can be our home network, work network, friends network etc. When we are connected we don't receive messages from groups that have a non-iPhone in them and our messages don't deliver to groups that have non-iPhones in them. This is not specific to one person or non-iPhone user but to all users not on an iPhone. When I called T-Mobile in January we walked through multiple steps to trouble shoot for almost an hour. Then they gave me the number to Apple Support and we did the same thing. Both companies point the finger at the other with no resolution. I you would like to send me a separate email for details I can pull that as well but this is getting to be very frustrating - again, multiple friends have iPhone 7s with same Version 11.2.5 on their phone and we can connect to the same WiFi and text a group that includes a non-IPhone and their message goes through instantly but doesn't deliver to us. Sometimes if we shut our phones off and start them again it will deliver a large group of messages and then go back to the same issue. 

• tmo_chris

Thank you very much for clarifying. I am confident that this specific issue can be addressed by our over the phone support teams. Please gather the example information using the info I provided earlier and contact us when you have a moment. Specific examples are going to be imperative for this issue so the engineers can see what happened on the T-Mobile network with that message.

• jg1023

One additional response, I had multiple calls on January 24th with both T-Mobile and Apple Support. Not sure what the case # was but hopefully that is recorded in my account.

Jared

Sent from my iPhone

• magenta4272017

Wow I’m so happy to know that I’m not the only one having this issue but in my case, I’m not receiving group messages from non Iphone users at all. I’ve had my iPhone 7 for almost 2 years and this problem started in January. I tried everything- restarting, resetting, rebooting but nothing worked. I was able to get it fixed within a few days after the matter was sent to an engineer.

As of last night, I’ve missed several work related Groups texts which was embarrassing because I had explain to my boss that I didn’t receive her messages. I hope a solution is found as soon as possible. Otherwise I would sadly have to consider switching to another carrier which I would hate to do since I’ve been with T-Mobile for years.

• kidphat

Hello again all, it's been a little over 2 months since TMobile sent me a iPhone 7 Plus.  As of today, the delay started back up again in my group chat.  So this tells me it is not the iPhone 7 Plus that's the issue.  But, I am leaning towards TMobile that's the issue.  The funny thing is that the group chat I am in is not that large.  Only 3 people and that includes myself.  One user is a TMobile customer himself with an Android phone and the other is a Verizon customer with an iPhone 7 Plus.  So I changed out the phone and sim card.  At this point I give up on TMobile and it's reliability and support.  Hopefully this info will help others that's encountering this issue.

• kidphat

Of course I have.  I have open at least 4 trouble tickets with TMobile and no solutions.  This has been dragging on for 6 months.

• kidphat

Apparently TMobile 2nd tier support and engineer is not able to help.  A replacement phone still did not solve the problem and changing out of the SIM card is not able to resolve the issue.  As we see, I am not the only one on the forum that has this issue.  So TMobile needs to resolve the issue.  Why we paying for a service that does not work, makes not sense.

• kidphat

Has anyone gotten a resolution on the delay receiving messages?  I opened another TMbolie trouble ticket today, ticket 19189699.  Hopefully someone from 2nd tier support can resolve the issue.  Messages was sent out to me last night about 10pm est time, until now I still have not received the messages.  Well over 12 hours.  Like I stated before, the group only includes 3 people including myself.  1 user is on TMobile with with Andriod phone and the other is Verizon with iPhone 7 plus. I gave both numbers to the support team.

• kidphat

It seems it is a TMobile issue and not an Apple issue.  I did have Apple support and we had a 3 way call with TMboile.  TMobile support did agree it is on TMobile's side since it has to do with text and not iMessage.  So we can eliminate that it is an Apple issue.  Thanks!

• tmo_chris

kidphat

I am so sorry that you are still having this issue! With the phone being replaced at the recommendation of the engineers via the trouble ticket that you had filed, since the issue is still occurring, we will need to escalate that ticket back up to the engineers letting them know the replacement did not resolve the issue. Please contact our tech support teams again when you have a moment.

• jeremyskillings

I am in the middle of this issue right now with an IPhone 7.  It happened a year ago and Apple finally told me to restore factory settings.  It worked but it's not the solution I want.  It started again last night and I called Apple but they sent me over to T Mobile.  The T Mobile phone representative went through the standard tests with me, told me she would call me back in one hour to see if it was working and I never heard from here again.  Shame on me for not getting a ticket number.  This is a very frustrating issue.

• jben72

Re: Delay receiving group text messages on iPhone 7+

So whats the solution to this problem?