Own a J7 Prime? Any reviews?

dc5fan

I am looking to replace my S5 (an unlockedAT&T). In my area I am using Bands 2 and 4. Also available are Bands 12 and 71. With the Band 12 that will give me another to use. Thanks.

All replies

• snn555

Re: Own a J7 Prime? Any reviews?

I think the prime lacks band 66. It also lacks a lot of features you will find in the LG Stylo 3 plus. Do a side by side. I speak from experience.  Battery, screen, pen, nfc, camera, processor, bands, etc. LGS3+>SJ7

• dc5fan

Thanks for the suggestion. The price will be a factor. I have read your posts concerning the LG. Does this phone have microSD card slot? The price ia about the same as the J7.

• snn555

To be completely honest I went to the store with every intention of getting the j7. However I was going based upon the 2016 specs. The 2017 model was now in stock and I had to reevaluate because the 2017 had less features than the 2016.

The LG has a removable battery and a MicroSD card slot.  I have a 64 gig in mine plus the 32 gig on board.  For the price of this phone and what it offers is going to be really hard to beat. It far outshines the S5 in my opinion.

• dc5fan

I agree. Please remember I use the phone for calls only. I also have a 64GB card in the S5 (legit card , this time) with over 1900 audio files. In June I paid $172 for the S5. In a couple of years the LG phone will be in the same state that the S5 is in now. Is there something that the LG might be lacking? I've been with T-Mobile for some months now, and believe me the horror stories I am reading about regarding phone returns, and other stories. I am on a very simple plan that costs me $3 a month. I am hoping to go to a T-Mobile store buy the LG with a nano SIM, have it set up, and out the door. I have looked at ebay and Amazon for the phone. I'm not going through the hassle of making sure the numbers are ok with T-Mobile. In the next couple of days I will try to get to a store, and get my grubby hands on one. I don't know if I can get the $9 a month for 24 months, but that won't be a problem.

• snn555

Best of luck with the decision.

• dc5fan

snn555: I did purchase the 3 plus yesterday. There were some things I didn't understand. I used a corporate T-Mobile store in Champaign. The store that got me my service was a third party. That gentleman seemed like he was "just there collecting a salary". The other was I thought I paid $225 for the phone, but it was $254. I guess maybe that was the charge for the nano SIM. I learned that I added 2 more bands, 12 and 66. I noticed an increase of bars. Yesterday I did read about 5 pages of reviews including the 2 you had wrote. I still need to do some more tweaking to get the "bloatware" apps I won't use in a third pane. Thanks for the help. Happy New Year!

• snn555

gramps28 is right about tax and upgrade charge.  Glad you found a good phone. Your service should be even better now.

• dc5fan

Your turn. Just wrote to gramps28 that I have been playing with the phone since 3 AM. Feel free to read the rest of my comments. I did find an owner's manual (pdf, 150 pgs). Already looking for an extra battery as I feel comfortable having an extra one. I haven't tried to use Poweramp for my mp3s on my FM radios. Trying to get a Dave Clark 5 song from '64 to use as a ringtone. It's being a pain. I plan on keeping the S5 as some things are still ok to use. If you don't mind I may bug you from time to time if I hit a brick wall on something. Again thanks!

• gramps28

I've been using the LG Stylo 3 plus for about 3 weeks and have no complaints and I was using a Nexus 5X running

Oreo.

• gramps28

When you buy from a store you always get hit with tax and an upgrade charge

for buying it from a store.

I bought my phone used from a seller from Swappa to avoid the charges.

If you get a chance to go to Black Dog have some wings and BBQ for me. I haven't been to Champaign

for over a year.

• dc5fan

I didn't mind the "extra charges" too much. At least I feel good I bought one out of the box. In ebay there weren't too amy 3 pluses available, except for bad IMEAs, bad ESNs, or the notorious "Parts only". I was playing with this thing about 3 AM. Trying to uninstall or disable items that I know I will not use. I disabled LOOKOUT as I already use Trend Micro and I can stop the program on the S5 and move it to the 3+. Having a little problem using "Bits And Pieces" (the Dave Clark 5) as a ringtone. Think I am getting there. Service has gone fro 1 bar to 3, and sometimes to 4. I added Bands 12 and 66.

I have been in this area since 1/1965 (dad was assigned to Chanute}. I have heard of Black Dog, but have never been there. I like going to Urban garden especially for breakfast! Best very crisp hash browns in Champaign County. Oh, when you also order the rib eye with these I don't even think about putting the strawberry jam on my toast! Wishing you and your family a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• gramps28

My wife goes to Champaign for work about twice a month.

Her home office is down by the train station and if I'm lucky she'll buy me a couple

of crowlers from Destihl but no wings.

• dc5fan

I had to do a search, and learned it is a restaurant/bar. I know about the train station as a friend of mine worked for MTD. We were in a band (GTO & the Glasspaks). Are you talking about "cruellers"? Is what you get a pastry?

I am having a ball with the Stylo 3+! I downloaded a 150 page owner manual (pdf). A lot of the phone I will not use (messaging and texting). There was a problem making a call to a friend of mine in TN.I would call, phone would ring twice, make some noises, and cut-off. I make another call to his cell that has 217 area code, and the call calls through. Will call Customer Care either tomorrow or later today. Time to play with the new toy! Happy New Year!