Samsung Gear S3 battery issue

magenta3663110

Hey everyone, I've been having battery issues with my Samsung Gear S3 watch for the past month or so. I would charge it overnight like I usually do and when I take it off the charging cradle it would show the battery at 100% but then about 1 hr later it would show 69%. It has also shown only 93% on two consecutive mornings after having charged overnight so there's something weird going on. I've already tried resetting the watch and starting fresh. The watch is connected via bluetooth to my Note8. The Tizen version is 2.3.2.3. In the past, I can go all day with the watch still having 80% or more. Anyone else have this issue?

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Samsung Gear S3 battery issue

That is super strange! I have actually never seen this issue on a watch before. Are you using the charger that came with the watch? How long ago did you get the watch and where did you buy it from?

• tmo_marissa

Hey there! Just wanted to check back in here and see how things were going with the battery on your watch. I'm with Chris -- this doesn't sound quite right. Were you able to discuss a replacement option with one of our Care teams?

• tmo_chris

Hey there! We just released Tizen V3.  Have you received the update yet? If so, has it had any impact on your battery life? 

• brash47

Hi,

I would like to chime in on this thread for a couple of reasons. I purchased my watch in December 2016 at a T-mobile store. I was told at that time I could not insure the watch and that Samsung might have an extended warranty for the watch....which they do not and did not at the time.

The store clerk who sold me the watch even checked in with his manager and they told him there was no available coverage for the watches. Keeping this in mind, how are you able to ask someone if they got the insurance if it wasn't even offered. I payed cash for my watch and did not want to set up your financing at the time. So, now that my watch is out of warranty, how do I resolve any issues I am having if your people clearly were not selling and extended warranty or insurance for the watch when it was first put into your stores?

BTW, I too am having battery issues, which have worse since your update earlier this week.

B.

• magenta3663110

You're right about the extended warranty or protection not being offered at the time. I bought my Gear S3 watch when it first became available online from T-Mobile and I never saw an option for extended warranty or protection so now I'm stuck with a watch that doesn't work and over the warranty period. Since updating the watch to Tizen 3.0.0.1, I have noticed the battery draining quicker too. Google search comes with many instances of users having the same issue with Tizen 3.0 but this was a few months back when it became available in other regions/countries and they were hoping an update would fix it. I'm guessing the ".0.0.1" is the update but the battery drain issue is still there. My new battery is coming tomorrow, Wednesday. I'll change out the old battery and hope for the best.

• tmo_chris

I am sorry for the confusion folks. Wearable devices with SIM cards listed on the Assurant deductible page are eligible for Device Protection.

brash47,

I am terrible sorry that you were told that you could not add insurance to your watch at the time you purchased it. Unfortunately, insurance is not something that we can retroactively add to the account. I know it has been a little over a year since you purchased the watch so our options are limited when it comes to an exchange but if you have a Facebook or Twitter account, you can use the links in my signature to send a private message to our T-Force team. They will be able to pull up your account and take a look at all of your available options.

• magenta3663110

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know that the battery replacement fixed my draining issue. It's working like brand new again. Woohoo!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • magenta3663110

By the way, the video in my original post has a flaw in the battery removal procedure. At about 3:25, you see the guy separating the circuit board from the case. Well this runs the risk of snapping off the flex cable at the connection on the PCB. It doesn't take much effort to do. Ask me how I know. lol You can see that cable at about 3:40. I had to buy a new cable. This cable is for the two side buttons. It was a pain to attach to the PCB.

If you plan on doing this yourself, follow this video instead. At about 1:45, the person disconnects the cable or "side key FPCB," as they call it, before removing the circuit board from the housing. This is a safer way to do it.

Disassembly and Assembly Samsung Gear S3 - YouTube

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • snehp92

I HAVE THE SAME Problem, Unable to start gear when My WATCH is not connected with charger.

WHAT IS THE BEST SOLUTION./?

Is the battery replacement done at store?

• magenta4639508

I too have the same battery issues. Samsung just put out an update that most versions got, except sim ones. TMobile of course won’t push out this update for weeks or months.

glad to hear about the insurance on the watches. I asked over a year ago when I purchased mine and was told not on smart watches. Looks like I will have to change the battery, or cancel the plan and sell the watch for a low price. 

• castle6442

I do have the insurance on this watch and think I'm going to inquire about using it. Just got the April update and this T mobile gear S3 is even worse off. After Tizen 3 it has never charged beyond 94 percent without taking it off the charger and putting it back on. Also the Bluetooth was spotty at best. With this new April update the Bluetooth seems good so far but I cannot charge beyond 84 percent without doing the on off charger thing. Also the battery.....its bad. Losing 12 percent an hour now. Yes, thats after two hard factory resets. For something I'm still making payments on I expected better.