Southwestern Pennsylvania coverage

cowbob24

I'm new here so I apologize if I do anything dumb.

Does anyone know of any plans to improve TMobile coverage in the general area between connellsville and meyersdale in southwestern Pennsylvania?

(Or the reason they haven't built out their Network in the area)

Coverage here seems to be lagging, even Sprint has their network built out in this area, but TMobile  just seems to be dropping roaming agreements without improving coverage. I visit the area two to three times a year, and as soon as you get away from the turnpike, connellsville, or seven springs resort, it seems like all coverage just disappears. Three other major carriers all havery networks and towers scattered throughout the area... not sure why TMobile hasn't put any antennas on any of them.

I know the T-Mobile coverage map is the most optimistic thing in the world, but I'm just going to put it out there that the map does have coverage in almost the entire area.

All replies

• dragon1562

Re: Southwestern Pennsylvania coverage

T-mobile has plans in 2018 to do a wide scale rollout of band 71(600mhz) across the nation. Places which have had no coverage previously will be first in the expansion as well as markets that needed densified or bolstered to handle the increasing demands of many users on the network. Another factor will be if their is any interference and how correparative people are in that market. Deploying equipment is the easiest part for the carriers. The hard part and thing that takes up all the time is dealing with all the red tape and paperwork to actually put men on a site to work on it. Ofcourse this is all just educated speculation at the end of the day and for all we know T-mobile could have 6 sites ready to flip the switch on in a matter of days(unlikely).

So basically it will be a while and by the time it does happen you will probably need a new device to experience it. Hope this info all helps out.

PS I wanted to ask what phone you were using?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • cowbob24

Thanks, I'm using a Galaxy S7 at the moment.

I'm going to switch to the moto g6 when it comes out hopefully early next year (as long as it has band 71 support)

• dragon1562

Excellent, I just wanted to make sure you had a device that supported all the T-mobile network. Just so you know I'm a fellow PA resident but I live at State College when at school and in the Pittsburgh market when off. I don't know if you ever have been out this way but T-mobiles service is truly insane. I hope they work quickly to improve things for you.

• tmo_marissa

Welcome, cowbob24! If you don't mind giving me a ZIP code I'm happy to check and see if we have any near-future improvements planned in the area. TBH, our internal map doesn't typically show scheduled work several weeks out; but at least we can get you some insight if there's something coming up soon.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • cowbob24

Thanks! 15622 and 15469 are the 2 zip codes I'm in most often, but the issue is most of Somerset and Fayette county.

• tmo_marissa

Thank you! I took a look at those areas and I see what you mean -- it looks like right now we'd expect fair coverage (outoors/in vehicles, but not likely in-building) on 700 MHz and 1900 MHz. I don't see any current modernization underway or scheduled, but that doesn't mean it's not planned for later in the new year. If you're noticing zero signal whatsoever (even outdoors), then that's something we'd want you to reach out to our Tech team to report -- that way we can look into a specific address, and a ticket can be filed to report the issue to our Engineering team if we'd project coverage there and you're not receiving any! Hopefully this will be an area that's part of the 2018 roll-out that dragon1562 mentioned!

- Marissa

• cowbob24

The issue is widespread, if you're in an area marked with fair coverage and your not on top of a mountain your going to have no service -even if you're outside.

Here are the addresses of 2 of the worst areas.

2202 Indian Head Rd, Champion pa 15622

8 Negley St, Ohiopyle, PA 15470

Also, is the tower on Alpine heights road near seven springs marked for a band 12 or 71 upgrade anytime soon?

Thanks again!

• tmo_marissa

Ah, yeah -- I definitely understand the environmental impacts of coverage in an area with mountainous terrain. I took a look at the addresses you provided -- for the Indian Head Rd address, I'm showing outdoor coverage with 700 MHz and 1900 MHz. At the Negley St address, 700 MHz would be a little stronger, but again both should be present for outdoor coverage. If you're seeing no service whatsoever outdoors at these locations, this is something we'd want you to call in and work with the Tech team to report -- it takes account access to file a service inquiry, so we're not able to do so from this user forum.

I don't see modernization scheduled for that site, *but* it does look like it's congested. Typically when we're aware of this, that means that we know that an upgrade in the area would be beneficial, so fingers crossed that we're working to remedy the congestion there soon!

- Marissa