Aggregate text messages somehow

leeirvin

Hi,

According to this discussion, Text Message via Email, the manner in which T-Mobile routes certain SMS texts will result in a cascade of new texts from different random four digit numbers.  I am in IT and I receive system messages and due to the manner in which they are sent, I get pages and pages of text messages, since every one is a new text from a "new sender" (which it's really not).

I like everything else about T-Mobile, but the texting frustrates me.  I even have one alert service from work that bounces when it tries to send an alert to ##########@tmomail.net.

We left TMO for a few months, and I was so nice to have all of my notifications in one conversation.  However, that carrier did not do well in our area, so we switched back.

I am so frustrated, I have even thought of getting a cheap phone with another prepaid service just to get SMS texts.

I have searched all through the Internet for some sort of texting service that would wind up routing messages to my phone the way they should be.  Everything I have found seems to be some sort of sham.  i.e. texting services without a phone.

Does anyone have any idea how to aggregate these messages?  I'd offer a screen shot, but there is one in the above link I posted that shows just what I am talking about.

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: Aggregate text messages somehow

I am terribly sorry for any frustrations this has caused you! If there was a way around it other than forcing the messages as MMS, srickar would have definitely mentioned it. Please know that we greatly appreciate your feedback and we understand that this is a pain point for some of our users. If there is ever an opportunity for us rework the way messages are directed through the SMSC, you can rest assured we will take advantage of it.

• srickar

leeirvin

I get the frustration.

When emailing to your mobile email address processed by MMSC, if the plain text message doesn't qualify as true MMS, the message content is redirected to SMSC for delivery.

With a plain text message, all parts of the SMTP header, subject (since SMSC cannot support subject), sender, body, etc are consolidated into the body of the message. The entire message sum is approximately 160-200 characters. Since the message is redirected to SMSC, the sender address is reformatted and displayed in plain text body.

In roughly 2012, we switched to a new SMS vendor redesign where the redundant gateway connections are round-robin, which causes messages to randomly route through a destination gateway. We had to for redundancy safeguards. In the former solution, if a dedicated gateway was down it would cause message queuing or entire failure, and that's definitely far worse issue.

Android relies on the sending address and cannot nest it as same conversation. This only impacts email because of the unique ability to introduce variable addresses that differ from a 10 digit sending address.

There are some low cost workarounds. One is to send messages in HTML format to retain MMSC processing, attach zero byte txt attachment, or insert text larger than 200 characters to retain MMS format. Or send the message to gmail/smtp entity that can auto-forward as html format or that can include some of the prior ideas mentioned above. Also, some of the newer Android devices, can receive MMS > RCS on 1st attempt which would bypass SMSC limitations.

If none of these are an option, it might require a paid shortcode service that can inject the messages through dedicated binds that would have consistent shortcode address.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • leeirvin

Hi srickar,

I get exactly what it's doing.  T-Mobile is by far one of the best mobile companies with whom I've dealt.

However, SMS/MMS texting is borderline show stopping for me.  I've gone as far as forwarding to GMail and then having GMail forward to my TMO iPhone (not Android) and still nothing.  Out of the four major carriers, this is the only one with a problem.  I work for a very large company and trying to get the alerting system modified is almost impossible.  I had hoped with TMO becoming more popular (Congrats on having 2017's best Customer Service) that either my company would be forced to make changes, or TMO would be forced to abandon this non-IT friendly gateway.

Texting my buddies works great, but getting critical system messages regarding abends, data loads, back ups, etc. is a real nightmare.  Even my Two Factor Authentication requests from popular web services get lost in the clutter.

So, getting cheap phone/texting and no data from a lesser provider seems to be the only alternative.

SImilar issue,  I have finally trapped a rejected email gateway message that is being rejected by TMO as junk mail, when it's not.  How do I send this to you in order to see what can be done to fix it?  (Not 1,000 random short codes, but one particular service not getting through)

• leeirvin

Interesting.

I placed my T-Mobile SIM into one of my Android [Oreo 8.1] devices and the duplication stopped and the messages all came in under one thread.  Or at least it appeared to as I only left the SIM in there for about two hours.  Back in my iPhone, the messages once again come in with random four digit codes.  This seems backward than what was mentioned.

I didn't mean to hijack my own thread, but sent you the header from the blocked message.  I have more if you need.

• srickar

I sent you a follow request. Mutually follow me back and that way you can PM me your mobile # and email domain. I want to take a second look at the logs to confirm this is what's occurring.