Oreo 8.0 Installed on Moto Z2

bajaboojum

Just got 8.0 pushed to one of my two T-Mobile Moto Z2 Forces.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Oreo 8.0 Installed on Moto Z2

Did you sign up for MDN?  If you did then you have a beta release as Motorola been pushing it out to T-Mobile MDN subscribers.

• bajaboojum

New to Android so I don't know what MDN is and didn't sign up for any beta programs.

So far the phone works fine and the only obvious change is the Settings menus.  Coming from Windows Phones I was impressed how fast the update installed.

• tidbits

Did you buy it from Motorola and have a Motorola account?  IF you did then it'll ask you if you want to sign up iirc.  I made my account many many years ago back when Motorola was it's own company with the Cliq. 

There may be a chance Motorola may have pushed it to you and didn't mean to and you lucked out you get to play with this with other beta testers.

• bajaboojum

Bought them at T-Mobile, no Moto account and even opted out in the Moto Notifications app. 

You may be right it was a mistake- the update notification was from Motorola.

A couple more details:

Another T-Mobile user reports getting the update on the Android Central Moto Z2 forum.

The T-Mobile Visual Voicemail app now works; it never connected on 7.1.1.

• bajaboojum

The T-Mobile Moto Z2 software update page now says "Phase: T-Mobile Testing: Version 8.0 Oreo."

• tidbits

mine works before 8.0 update.  I had issues with MMS and group messages in general.

reports saying it's the retail version, but the beta, and retail version have different version numbers.  My guess Motorola was ok with the 8.0 release, but the beta is for something else perhaps? 

• bajaboojum

The Oreo Moto is at 8.0.0, Current version OCX27 if that helps.

A nice addition is an option to display battery percentage in the status bar- no more apps needed.

• juels98

Hi,

I have the Moto z2 Force as well. I just recently, about a week ago, installed the Oreo update and I too am at 8.0.0 OCX27. The problem I've run in to is this. My mom has a Galaxy S7 and is also on T-Mobile. Any time she calls me or I call her, I can hear her talk but she can never hear me. She took her phone in to the T-Mobile store and the rep there tried to recreate the problem by calling her from one of the Moto Z2 Force phones as the shop. He was able to successfully hear her, but she couldn't hear him. I did not have this problem before the update and haven't recently changed or played with any settings, so my guess it would be the update that's causing this. Please let me know if you have any ideas how to fix this.

Thanks!

Julian

• bajaboojum

My second Moto just got Oreo and T-Mobile has officially announced it.

• azissues

I also have the same issue. After update to 8 I cannot talk to my two s7 users. I can talk to a Verizon s7 phone without issue.

I have done 2 resets and did not help.

Took phone to retailer and they ordered me new phone. Worked great until 8 update.

New twist I conference called both s7 and it worked. Then hung one s7 u and could still talk to other phone. Hung up call and called original s7. They again could not hear me.

HELP

• rattelerjtc

Anyone else confirm that the upgrade removed the option to force Mobile Data when connected to WiFi, no longer exists under 8?
                            I'm trying to use a drone with my T-Mo Z2F, but when the WiFi is connected to the Drone, and there is obviously no Internet, it doesn't connect  to my Data, which means no maps.

Hope there is an easy fix.

• bbergin76

Any reports of non T-Mobile texts not coming through on stock messaging app. I've found the only way I get non-T-Mobile texts is use a third party text app like Textra instead.

• tehfattman

My phone(mz2) will not connect to the s7 on our plan. This is extremely frustrating since we have a special needs child and have to communicate via text only now and there is usually alot to convey. Fix the problem!

• kyle_1988

Is there any way to roll back this update? I'm having extreme battery problems because the screen wakes up constantly.

• scarredtemple

Go to moto app, Moto displays, and turn on. Restart your phone, go back to moto options, Moto displays, and turn it off. Restart your phone and you should be good.

• scarredtemple

I turned off VoLTE and held my power button for 30 seconds, and so far so good.

• magenta4070481

Has there been a solution found for this problem?  I just upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (my old phone) from the Moto Z2 because of all the problems with calls and texts. Now my husband who still has the Moto Z2, cannot make calls to myself or my daughter who has the S7 Edge.  He can hear us but we cannot hear him.  We live in an area where turning off the LTE is not an option.  The Moto Z2's are worthless and I cannot believe they are not doing more to fix this issue.  I've spent about 10 hours of time with T-Mobile this week because of a phone they sold that won't work with their services.  Super frustrating.

• amarryat

You're preaching to the choir.  T-Mobile should have been far more proactive and demand that Lenovo fix this immediately.  It should have been fixed within a week of being reported.  Seems quite negligent to me on both the parts of Lenovo and T-Mobile given the amount of dependency we have on our mobile phones nowadays.

• tidbits

amarryat wrote:

You're preaching to the choir. T-Mobile should have been far more proactive and demand that Lenovo fix this immediately. It should have been fixed within a week of being reported. Seems quite negligent to me on both the parts of Lenovo and T-Mobile given the amount of dependency we have on our mobile phones nowadays.

Europe and Asia don't think this way, and why do they have better overall support than we do?  Simple enough we always put blame on carriers for everything and expect them to do the work for us.  In Europe and in Asia all blame solely rests on the OEM's and the people make the OEM's feel it.  Before you say carriers touch code and contracts and yada yada yada.  Those countries have carrier testing, and also have contracts as well.  They even have "bloatware" installed, and carrier specific features to boot.

They used to have the same behavior we did, but it changed after certain lawsuits in the states and overseas as well as projects that came out.  For example Sony and Google AOSP project we found out the biggest delay has never been carriers for updates, and turns out they didn't touch code at all.  Carrier testing took no more than a month on average, and the longest delays were governmental and licensing bodies.  This lead to the PDK Google introduced to shorten the time.  Google further shortened the time by making Android more modular in Android 8.0(newer devices not devices introduced before Android 8..0).

Within a week.  Google doesn't fix things within a week from being reported on their own controlled devices that has no carrier involvement whatsoever.

• amarryat

It has been almost a month and a half since this started being reported.

That means people with these phones on their plans cannot speak to each other and therefore are paying for service and devices they can't use properly.

I wonder how fast it will get fixed if AG's start getting involved.

• tidbits

Yes I am aware of how long.  I have been working with Motorola Engineers on some of the problem that were not fixed it.  It's their code and not T-Mobiles.  It's their product not T-Mobile as well.  Since it is not a T-Mobile specific problem and they have no control like people think they do AG will do nothing against T-Mobile.  Various lawsuits in since 2008 back this up. 

AG gets involve they won't even talk to T-Mobile.  It would go directly the Motorola and talk to them to find out what's the problem. 

• amarryat

It may be their product, and that would be the viewpoint from the end user as well if they bought it (unbranded and unlocked) from Amazon for example.  But when the customer buys from T-Mobile, a T-Mobile branded device, the customer will look to T-Mobile for the fix.  T-Mobile may defer to Lenovo, but the customer did business with T-Mobile, not Lenovo.

• tidbits

amarryat wrote:

It may be their product, and that would be the viewpoint from the end user as well if they bought it (unbranded and unlocked) from Amazon for example. But when the customer buys from T-Mobile, a T-Mobile branded device, the customer will look to T-Mobile for the fix. T-Mobile may defer to Lenovo, but the customer did business with T-Mobile, not Lenovo.

Again that's the wrong mindset in other countries where there is the same scenario like in Japan for example.  Just because they look for T-Mobile to fix it doesn't mean it's their job to get it fixed.  The only reason why there is branded and even OEM's in a lawsuit stated it is to let the consumer know it works on their network.  The only reasons carriers sell devices to make it easier for consumers to find devices that work for them.  It's the same lawsuit that brought on diminishing returns on ETF's.  Carriers would gladly stop selling devices based on that lawsuit, but the american people expect them to continue to sell devices as the reasons why they don't stop.

You want it fixed we need to start doing what the rest of the world.  The way we are doing seems to have results of that you want, but the way we've been doing things the last 10 years hasn't worked at all.  Just look all around at the support they are getting.  They have everything the same.  Carrier testing, Carrier bloatware, contracts, and you can buy devices from them.

• amarryat

As I said, for the T-Mobile customer who bought the phone from T-Mobile, they just want it fixed.  Who actually fixes it is probably not of much interest to the customer.  I was just saying, that as the vendor, T-Mobile should be as proactive as possible in getting this fixed.  Simply pointing the finger at Motorola isn't the answer.

• scarredtemple

This is the first phone that I decided to take loss on. The phone cost $750 when I bought it in October 2017. I spoke with T-Mobile several times, as well as Motorola about my phone issues, I even asked for a refund, but I was unsuccessfuI. I warranty exchanged the phone three times, but I decided to just pay for another phone (HTC U11).

• tidbits

amarryat wrote:

As I said, for the T-Mobile customer who bought the phone from T-Mobile, they just want it fixed. Who actually fixes it is probably not of much interest to the customer. I was just saying, that as the vendor, T-Mobile should be as proactive as possible in getting this fixed. Simply pointing the finger at Motorola isn't the answer.

As I said we need to change that mindset because it isn't working and the US law sides with the mindset I am pointing out is the way to go.  If people don't want to change their mindsets then we'll forever be getting threads like these while the rest of the world gets better support.  Just saying.

• screen_crusher

Screenshot_20180225-145201.png

The above update fixed the problem with voice calls between Moto Z2 Force and Samsung Galaxy S7 made on T-Mobile's network using VoLTE, where the Galaxy user couldn't hear the Moto Z user. I tested OK.

• thelimerunner

Can confirm that my Moto Z2 force received Oreo today too.

Screenshot_20180226-004224_Messages.jpg

• nycomputerguy@gmail.com

For those that have gotten the 27.1 update, has your reception taken a hit?  I took a serious hit when I updated.  I had no issues with signal at my desk at work on the Z2 Force prior to the 27.1 update.  After taking the 27.1 update, I have no T-Mobile reception, voice or data at all at my desk with the Z2 Force.  My S8+ on T-mobile, sitting right next to the Z2 Force has 4G LTE and 2-3 bars.

• screen_crusher

I installed the 27.1 update over a week ago and my Moto Z2 Force still has great reception - 4 to 5 bars almost everywhere I go in Chicago area. I haven't seen any trouble. I also ran a speed test just now and got 45Mbps down and 17.6Mbps up. If I see anything wonky, I'll post here.

• nycomputerguy@gmail.com

For me, it's not everywhere that I am having issues.  Just one particular area that I have identified.  Spoke at length with multiple T-Mobile support reps.  The decision was made to do a warranty replacement.

• screen_crusher

When I was dealing with the original problem, brought on by the Oreo upgrade, the T-Mobile support also came to the conclusion that they need to replace my handset. In the end, it turned out, I just needed to un-check one check box. I'm glad I didn't follow through with the replacement, as it would have been very time consuming to reinstall and set up everything all over again.

Try replacing the SIM card. They will likely do it for free and worst case $5. It might just save you the headache of replacing the phone. When the SIM starts crapping out, the phone usually shows weird symptoms sporadically - can't make a call, call drops, really bad call quality, can't connect to voice mail, can't set up voice mail, etc.

• thelimerunner

I was having some reception issues on mine, however a network settings reset seems to have nipped that problem in the bud.