Service issues in my

am321

So until last Monday my phone signal was working great. Then Monday evening the phone signal started acting up when I was at a friend's house. The data started going extremely slow(on LTE), and I was unable to connect to any phone calls at all. Also I was having anywhere from 3-full bars the whole time. Then later that evening I drove home approximately 36 miles/40 min away, between all 3 county's in my networks market (from Palm Beach County Florida, to Miami Dade County Florida and passing through Broward County), with majority of my driving being on Interstate 95. When I left my friend's house taking the ride home, the phone signal switched over from LTE to regular 4G before I even got on the highway. Then when I was on the highway and the signal stayed the same the whole entire trip home, including inside my house. So I was unable to get off regular 4G.

I was eventually able to get my service connected back to LTE. But since Monday evening it still seems that the LTE is kind of slow everywhere I've been. Things are just not the way they have been for a very very long time prior to Monday evening(calling and data wise).

Even at another friend's house in my same county. I don't even get 1 MB upload sometimes. I get 0. whatever(doing a speedtest.net app speed test). Which it used to be blazing fast and I can even use my hotspot for Netflix, and it loaded in an instant in HD. Now I can't even load it at all. when I do they're coming in at 240p and stays there for the whole entire movie or show. which this has been ongoing for at least about 3 weeks now. Even my friend has T-Mobile who lives at that house and he's telling me the same thing, which is an everyday occurrence for him.

I know for a fact this has nothing to do with my service throttling, as I confirmed this with my carrier T-Mobile(specifically for this). Which they told me my service is not throttling at all. Plus I have the "highspeed" package from T-Mobile that it even states as part of my plan that the internet does not throttle ever. They recommended that I get a new SIM card based on completely based on revisioning me off and then on the network.

But I've done some research and saw on T-Mobile's website forum, and the down detector website that since Monday that there's been issues, even people writing up, that it's occurring in the same area as I've been that they are having issues. It also seems to be a nationwide issue as I've seen that Hawaii, California, New York, Florida and a few other places were having issues as well. But when I called T-Mobile they claim there's no issues when they're clearly is. Even if I were to get a whole replacement phone, or a new SIM card I still believe the problem was still persist due to the fact that it's a signal issue not a phone and or SIM card issue here. As other people are having this issue as bad as me and also reported it. Plus there's been a spike of people reporting outages at least according to downdetector for T-Mobile all over the country, just in the past 24 hours. HhSo I would look into this so we can fix my service along with other people in the country. Instead of just letting this problem persist and I have service correctly.

All replies

• magenta3595653

Re: Service issues in my

I have noticed this as well and have verified that it is being throttled.

I tested using my phone (Samsung Note 8).

What I did to test 3 times:

Turned off my phone's VPN and wifi.  I then gave the phone a minute to lock on to LTE (I had full bars).  Next, I opened an app called Network Monitor (from Google Play store) and set it to floating window status of network speed of wifi and mobile (T-Mobile).  Next, I ran a speed test through OOKLA (Google play app), where I used the auto find location and the results were 48 to 56 Mbs (verified by Network Monitor app matching). Then I opened Netflix and went to downloadable shows (Mindhunters) and clicked to download Season One episode 3.  I tested for 2 minutes.  The result was 150 to 208 Kbs (Network Monitor app).

I then paused the download and closed the Netflix window.  Connected back to my wifi (Comcast) and ran OOKLA again.  I received close to my isp's speed at 66 to 80 Mbs (verified by Network Monitor app).  I then opened Netflix app again, and began to continue the download.  It was much, much faster at 5.6 to 7 Mbs.

Last, I paused the download and closed Netflix and shut off the wifi connection on my phone.  I again waited for the LTE to lock on (full bars) and repeated my first steps of opening OOKLA, testing LTE speed of close to 50Mbs (also verified with Network Monitor app) then, opening Netflix and continuing the download with the same results of 150 to 208 Kbs (results through Network Monitor app).

So, if T-Mobile stands by NOT throttling, why does my testing suggest otherwise, T-Mobile?  What could possible explain this?

• dragon1562

If you drop down and use the HSPA+(4g) network what do speeds look like? Also can you use LTE discovery to see what band you are connecting to when the network acts wonky.  If possible as well what device are you using?

• tmo_mike_c

I'm curious what device you're using as well. Since the issue is following you over such a large area, there could be something going on with the unit you're using. In the chance it does follow another device, this would normally mean that a trouble ticket would need to be filed by our Tech Care team to get engineers involved and get this resolved.

• am321

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8. I've also took the time to do some research online, and found out that other people throughout the same Market is having the same issues as well. I'm in the Miami/Fort Lauderdale/West Palm Beach market, but I just feel like in general as a whole service, the speed is slower than what I'm really supposed to be getting. Even if I have full bars, it's acting like I have very bad one bar service as far as data goes. Things have just not been as good as they were up until about a month and a half ago. Maybe it's because you're doing your modernization in deeper parts of my network area now. But I don't think you're going to take 36 miles straight worth of towers down(throughout multiple counties) all down at the exact same time, to work on them.

• am321

Also I do already have a trouble ticket entered in the system, they created a tri-county trouble ticket. Because they based it off looking in the system, saw where I traveled, and they looked at all the towers. With that being said they saw I really did travel where I said, and they said there's no issues at the towers. But they do see the towers fluctuating and going slower than supposed to, based on my results I was getting with my phone. But so far I haven't gotten a response about my trouble ticket which was put in at least over a week ago now on the 19th or 20th of December. But so far the service is still the same, at least with the data portion of it

• tmo_mike_c

Okay. Thanks for replying back. Filing the ticket was definitely the right thing to do. Usually it takes about 3 days to get a reply back from engineers. Have you tried running that ticket by our Tech Care folks to see if there were any updates? After it was filed, were you given any other steps or other info by the rep?

• am321

So I called into customer care, and was told that nothing was done about my ticket. Florencia from the Mission Texas call center(who specifically wanted me to take down her ID number and name and where she was located). She wanted me to do another ticket and start again. As she saw the ticket, but saw a no response back over a week. This time she took down the full address where I started at my friend's house, and then took down my home address where I finished the trip(which I talked about in the main post). Then the reason why she wanted me to take down all her information is because she promised she was going to call me on Friday to give me an update. She told me if not to report her with this information. As you see that in my account notes I was supposed to get a call back when I first reported this. When they wanted to do the network revision on my phone, before putting in the ticket. But I never got a call back after turning off my phone and then turning it back on again after 5-7 min, like I'm supposed to for the network revision(all which I mentioned above).

So basically I'm getting absolutely nowhere, and I'm starting from scratch all over again. I don't understand what's so hard to at least get an answer, even if the answer is that it's going take longer to fix because it's at tri-county issue. This is getting ridiculous, and I have hard evidence based off all the tower location(in that span of time, mentioned in the OP), and type of signal and speeds it was giving me to the phone, in your own systems diagnostics. So it's not like I'm making this up either(which some people do that).

Honestly at the end of the day all I just want is to get this resolved. So I can get my service back up running like the way it was before all this started randomly out of the blue for no reason. Which I think is very fair and not too much to ask, being that I pay for the service and expect it to be like this all the time, and not go out for over a week now. I've been a loyal customer for 11 years, obviously pay money for the service(and always on time). So with that being said, I think it's only right that I asked and get this result seriously.

• tmo_mike_c

Oh man. Sounds like we definitely could have done a better job getting this taken care of for you the first time and getting that ticket updated. It normally doesn't take longer than 3 days to at least get an updated on the ticket. Keep in mind, it may take some time to resolve the issue but that really depends on the response we get from our engineering folks. I am glad another rep filed a new a ticket for you and set expectations for this one. That's totally a fair ask of us and we wanna see this get resolved for you too. I know the ticket is the right route for resolution, so please keep us updated on what information that you get on Friday. You've been awesome to be such a loyal customer and it's important that we do whatever we can to get this resolved for you.