Red Dot On VoiceMail

crc

Iphone 8 plus - iOS 11.2.1 - New Phone from T-Mobile - 5 days ago

Plan is One, with One +

Problem - Blank red dot over voicemail icon indicating message but no messages. In addition, when a message does exist VTT messages me, but the red dot stays blank so no indication that there is a voice mail other than the VTT message.

Multiple Google answers to this issue.

Leaving Voice mail from other phone

Resetting Networks

Soft restart

hard restart

Resetting Siri

Resetting voice mail PIN

Taking off notifications - still there...

Turning wifi on and off

Turning airplane mode on and off

Have tried everyone of them up to a complete factory reset as of this morning. No resolution.

I understand the One + plan has VTT (Voice mail To Text) in lieu of VVM (Visual Voice Mail) - VVM does NOT show up on my phone at all - but that red dot and its failure to indicate any v-mails is not good.

Suggestions?

All replies

• snn555

Re: Red Dot On VoiceMail

Try turning in airplane mode then deleting VM or any other action then toggle AP on and resync. That made my red dot issue disappear.

• tmo_lauren

I did a bunch of searching for an resolution for this, including with iPhone users on my team, and found a whole bunch of not much. At least not anything you haven't already tried, sadly. My last ditch would be to go for the full master reset, which I know is less than ideal but I think our best shot at this point.

-Lauren

• crc

Did a factory reset. Issue is still not resolved. Pull the SIM card?

• snn555

Also making sure that after a factory reset you do not restore the iPhone from any backup and you restore it as a new phone. The SIM card should have nothing to do with apple servers because that is based upon your Apple ID not your sim card.  If you are not on Carrier 31.1 you may need an update however that should be automatic with 11.2.1.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • crc

Made sure that there was no restore. Manually re-did the entire phone. Red dot was there from the start.

I still think it has something to do with the VTT superceding VVM interactions.

Where do I escalate this to? Local shop?

• snn555

Get together with Apple Support on a PC and they will have you run a diagnostic log thru iTunes and send it to them. I reported the issue a year ago. At the time they had me exchange my iP7+. There may be new Info by now.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • crc

I will have to call Apple next week or week after. However, I removed the SIM card and the red dot went away. Replaced the SIM card and the red dot came back, so the phone is getting something from T-Mobile that causes the red dot. I have read several threads where Apple and T-Mobile point fingers at each other and nothing gets resolved.

I think I will start with T-Mobile next week...there goes a wasted week...

• crc

FIXED!

A phone call to T-mobile support and escalation to higher tech levels resulted in a reset of the VM system. I then had to call VM AND reset everything from scratch.

But here is the key - I restarted the phone and the red dot was still there - BUT after 15 minutes I went to do a complete reload of the I-phone from Itunes and wallah!!! it was fixed. Now I have both VTT and VVM.

So after a VM reset by T-Mobile - Wait at least 1 hour before doing anything drastic!