Branched to a new discussion.

"Upgrade Support Charge" wtf?

savage-axis

I bought three iPhones at your store and was charged $20 each for "Upgrade Support Charge" what is this fee for?

All replies

• barcodeable

Re: "Upgrade Support Charge" wtf?

This happened to me last year.... bought an iphone from a T-Mobile retail store and told them I already have several sim cards so please don't charge me $20 extra for a sim card I obviously do not need. The rep laughed and said we will not charge you for a sim, and iphones come preinstalled with a t-mobile sim. Walked away and saw I was charged $20 (what) for what was later explained to me by the rep 30 minutes later.... that because I'm at the store and leaving with the phone in hand... i'm being charged an "upgrade support charge". and this upcharge support fee is for them activating the phone and for the convenience of getting your device immediately as opposed to waiting to get it by mail .

When I asked not to be charged $20 for a sim card... not sure why she didn't explain this great upcharge fee at that point... that was the perfect time to do so.... and not 30 minutes later when i return asking for an explanation.

Basically this is a sneaky way of charging you a $20 gratuity fee. I was told the alternative would be ordering the device over the phone, but then i will be charged for shipping/handling and I won't receive the device in the mail until several days after the order was placed and also I was told I would then have to contact customer service to activate the line once the device was received in the mail..... so to eliminate this entire "slow process" they charge an upcharge fee of $20 bucks . and for the record... years ago there was an option to activate your sim online (on your own) via the T-mobile website. This service have been eliminated .

Maybe a future 2018 uncarrier move will be to eliminate this upcharge .

• bradgrant

Yes, I read this issue over the summer and thought it was completely ridiculous. But I do understand that they want to take time to help people out. It is meant to offset the assistance cost of getting a device sorted. However, I do believe that if you buy the phone from T-Mobile or it is T-Mobile branded there shouldn't be any charge because all it will do is make angry customers.

• barcodeable

I bought a tablet today from the T-Mobile Store and was charged the $20 uncarrier upcharge... customer service actually credited my account $20 bucks so i escaped the upcharge fee .

and the manager of the T-Mobile store let me know that the Alcatel A30 Tablet on us promotio will be ending soon, so if anyone is in the market for a tablet... I suggest they take advantage of it now while it is available. You need to already have atleast a 2GB mobile internet line or either add a new line with a minimum of 2GB to get the free offer. Taxes must be paid at time of purchase. it is supposed to take up to 2 billing cycles for the credit to go into effect.

I am sure the moment this promo ends, that will be the day everone will want the promo 

• tmo_marissa

Hey, folks. Thanks for asking this question, and for your feedback!

The Upgrade Support charge has been added for standard upgrades (not JUMP! or JOD) completed in channels with assisted service, like Care or Retail, rather than self-service options like through the web or app. If at any point the web and app's shop functions are down, and for customers in other scenarios where these upgrade types aren't an option, the fee should be waived by our Care team.

To be honest, upgrade costs are going up, and rather than pass those fees along to all customers, we're doing our best to give customers options. We have more self-service options than ever before, and those are free to all! I promise this charge is not a gratuity, nor a charge just for the SIM -- but to mitigate the overall costs of completing an upgrade in an assisted channel (which does include Care). I know it might not feel "Un-Carrier" to add a industry-standard fee to our typically low-fee roster of services, but we are trying to keep it as fair as possible by being mindful of which situations we're assessing the fee in -- ie; it would be a huge bummer to offer a program like JUMP! or JOD, the entire purpose of which is to allow you to upgrade more frequently, and then charge you a fee per upgrade.

Lastly, I want to speak to your concern about the removal of the MyTMO SIM change feature -- this change was made in an effort to keep our customer's information as secure as possible. If you order online and receive a new SIM in the mail with your new device, there isn't a fee to reach out to Care and change your SIM over the phone -- I totally know the appeal of online convenience, and I'm sure this option will make a grand return when we're confident in its security.

Thanks again for taking the time to chime in here -- we definitely want to know how you're feeling and what your thoughts are whenever we make changes.

- Marissa

• magenta3682861

I feel that when i upgraded my phones that I was deceived by the associate that took my my purchase, I was told it was a deposit for each phone when in fact it was not , it was a support upgrade charge because when I looked at each phone the amount of 20 was not placed toward my purchase. I was not explained this. if these deceptive practices continue I will inform customers of this, and will more than likely be purchasing my phones on amazon or walmart to avoid being lied to about the extra fee I was charged, and if this continues I will seek another carrier. i  have been with T-mobile for quite a  while and feel that this charged was not explained to me and instead was deceptively given to me as the attendant called it a deposit, If i had know of this i would have ordered online. or have purchased it else where, I would like to know if this will be corrected. or if i will continued to be lied to. i have never been charged this fee before and did not expect to be swindled. or treated this way i find it very disrespectful.

• bradgrant

Sometimes it isn't even about the money the the principle behind it. There are so many trust issues people have with carriers and providers. It is so easy to break the trust. Now I doubt you want to switch over to a company that is worse. But it is hard to gain trust with such huge companies.

• tmo_marissa

Yuck, magenta3682861! We definitely don't want to misrepresent the charges we're assessing at *any* turn; whether they're during the upgrade process, an exchange, or on your monthly bill. I'm sorry that you had to reference your receipt to learn about this fee instead of being provided an honest explanation up front -- that's definitely not the standard we have set for customer service; and I appreciate your feedback. While we don't have the ability to access your account or make changes from this forum; I would definitely recommend reaching out to the retail location where you completed your upgrades, or to our T-Force team on Twitter or Facebook, to see if there's anything we can offer to assist with this situation. While I can't speak to why we didn't provide a clear breakdown of the charges you paid up front for your upgrade(s), I do want to assure you that this isn't the way we aim to do business.

- Marissa

• magenta3682861

The issue was resolved online, i contacted them online and they credited my account with 40 for the charge. I just did not appreciate the blatant lie that it was a deposit if they would have been honest and said that it was a in store charge and that if i ordered online i would not have been charged that fee i would have done the order online but instead I was not informed by the agent instead i was lied to to make a profit or a sale, I was so mad when i spoke to the representative i just wanted to cancel my order, I will more than likely not be visiting that store anymore if that is how they train their employee's.