re: Use of the Content Transfer App

jk8849

I will soon be transferring content from Android to Android.

I am thinking about using this Content Transfer App

I currently save my photos to an SD card. The old phone has only 16 GB of RAM so bulky stuff goes on the SD card.

The new phone has 32 GB of RAM but I still want to save my Gallery on an SD card.

How do I make sure the new Gallery is created on the SD card and that the old photos are transferred onto the SD card and not put into the device RAM?

All replies

• snn555

Re: re: Use of the Content Transfer App

Which content transfer app? There are several.

• jk8849

Short answer: I don't know. I was just reading the site and they mentioned the "T-Mobile Content Transfer App". I thought there was only one.

I am just wondering how I make sure that when using it the photos go to a gallery on the SD card rather than filling up my device memory.

• snn555

I have never used the T Mobile Transfer app. I have used the traditional method of plugging in my phone into a PC and saving the photos and transferring them to the internal or external memory of the new phone. As far as apps are concerned those can be re downloaded from the Play Store. Typically in today's time all of your information is backed up to your Google account so that when you turn on the new phone and set it up it asks you to transfer information from your Google account. The only thing that would not be there would be photos and those would be in your Google photos if you use that app.

All of that to say that most everything is backed up to iCloud. If you check your current phones backup and reset options you should have your Google account selected.

There are many transfer apps available however some of them don't have access to an SD card to read from and write to another. A lot of them miss or skip information. So my thinking is that a PC backup and transfer is the best option.

• jk8849

Thanks again for the reply. I do have Google-sync options turned on, and I do have Google Photos activated.

I could just leave the existing photos stored on Google Photos and start the new Gallery on the new phone from scratch. Or, as you suggest, I could cable the old phone to the computer and manually copy the photos there and then later copy them to the new phone's SD locations once the phone is fully up and running.

I am mainly concerned about not having to deal with the whole photo collection being automatically dumped into the internal memory. If that happens I'll still have to cable into the phone and transfer them all over to the SD card. In this case I will be dealing with Android 6 on the old phone and Android 7 on the new one (I doubt the phone they sent me is already upgraded to v.8).

At what point does Android create the folders and file structure on a new SD card, including the DCIM folder, etc.? Does it happen immediately when the SD is initialized or does it wait until you change the camera setting to store on SD?

My spouse is an avid user of WeChat. I don't suppose T-Mobile's Content Transfer App properly transfers all of those chat logs and storage folders? Probably not. WeChat has its own chat-migration tool so I'll have to hope that works. My spouse never takes my advice about saving pictures from her chat logs to her phone. If she loses all of those pictures I will be facing a very, very cold winter.

• tmo_lauren

WeChat doesn't seem like it will have an option to backup through the app.

I would perhaps see if WeChat has their own backup options, many of the third party chat logs have solutions for when you are transferring a device!

-Lauren

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • jk8849

Yes, WeChat does have a built-in chat log-migration tool. I used it two years ago the last time I upgraded her phone, but I seem to recall it might only "migrate" the text messages and not the pictures and videos included in those messages. If you select the pictures individually and "save to phone" WeChat saves them into its device folder where Google photos can pick them up. There's the rub: she is wayyyy behind on choosing pictures to "save to phone". She's going to lose a bunch and I'm going to be blamed for it. Comes with the territory. Maybe I'll luck out and the migration tool has been upgraded :-)

• tmo_chris

How was the transfer process? Have you done it yet?

• jk8849

No, the new phone is a Christmas gift for my wife. Then I'll have to go through a week of her saying she doesn't need the new phone. Finally she will give in and let me switch her over to the new device. Later she will tell me how happy she is with the new device. We've performed this dance many times. Back when she had a flip phone she refused to even consider a smartphone upgrade. Even after her daughter gave her an unlocked smartphone she stuck with the flipper; until she dropped it one time too many :-O

• tmo_marissa

jk8849, this description of the anticipated "dance" had me rolling. I know another household where similar antics might play out with new tech, but with a slight role reversal. You're not alone!
                            I know it's only been a day post-holiday, but we still wanted to check in with you and see how things are going -- has she used the new phone yet?

• jk8849

I gave her the phone Christmas day and after a pause she said, as expected, how she didn't need it. Actually she does, she just doesn't know it. The old phone is nice but it's slower, only has 2.4 GHz WiFi, no AC WiFi, 409 ppi resolution, half the RAM and internal storage and no NFC. And it's almost 2 years old. The LG G6 beats it in every way except one: the old phone is .14 inches wider which I prefer though she has small hands and may like the narrower G6 format.

I spent the afternoon setting it up and it appears to be a great phone. Logged in to Google account and a bunch of sync magic took place along with some newer Google features and a T-Mobile software update. Not sure when Android will be updated but 7.0 is just fine. BTW, the G6 Auto-Brightness seems to darken the screen a little too much indoors at night. Is there an auto-brightness setting such as low-medium-high so you can choose which auto-levels are best for you? So far I don't see such a thing. Not a big deal, if it's a problem we can switch to manual brightness but once set I doubt she would ever bother to change it (she is very non-techie).

One hitch was the phone contacts. I couldn't get them to sync even though Google is set to sync everything. I'm guessing the reason is that the SIM card isn't installed in the new phone yet. I'm thinking it needs its number before the contacts sync. I'll prepare for a manual contacts-sync just in case. Another sync question is the pictures. They are all backed up to Google Photos but they don't want to come back onto the phone on their own. And it's looking like if I download them back onto the phone they might be double-backed up to Google photos. No biggie, she can access all the old photos on the cloud. She'll just have to get used to doing it that way. New photos are going onto the SD card as usual.

One big question: Should we use the new SIM card that came with the phone or transfer the 2-year old SIM card into the new phone? The transfer is simpler but the new SIM is, well, new after all. Her old phone is an Honor 5X and has dual SIM slots, one Nano and the other is bigger. I can't remember if the bigger SIM slot was used for the SD card or if there were actually three card slots. I'm pretty sure the old phone has the Nano card though.

Any suggestion on whether I should move WeChat to the SD card? The G6 is already taking up a lot of internal memory and her WeChat logs are pretty big. The old phone had half as much internal memory but it's almost full now. It's like pulling teeth to get her to delete old chat messages, she uses them like her private filing system.

Happy New Year!

• tmo_chris

Haha! No one ever thinks they need a new phone until they have used it for a bit and then they wonder how they ever lived with the old phone.

As for the auto brightness, I don’t think there is anything special aside from the manual brightness toggle. There is nothing that will let you set the levels for specific light conditions automatically There could be an app for that though, not too sure lol.

As for the contacts, if they are saved to her google contacts, they should sync to the phone regardless if it has a sim or not. You may want to look at the accounts and sync setting on the new to make sure contacts didn’t get accidently unchecked.

For the photos, it might be best to just leave them on the cloud, as bringing them back to the phone could result in duplicates. Frees up space on the SD card though

For the SIM card, you can use the old one and keep the new as a spare but if you start getting any network weirdness, give us a call so we can update you to the new sim.

For WeChat, that is gonna be a personal preference thing. I am not exactly sure what data is moved to the SD card or if it even supports moving to the SD card.

• jk8849

I'm stumped with the phone contacts. I have checked and re-checked sync settings in Google and in the apps themselves. I even tapped the Contacts item in the Google sync settings to trigger a manual sync and the new phone does list the Contacts as having just been synced. When I open the dialer and tap Contacts the only thing listed is the Google account holder. Her old phone has 70 phone contacts in it.

Gmail seems to remember her email contacts though there are far fewer of those. And she never bothers to save personal contacts, like a Rolodex, just for the sake of having all her friends addresses, etc. Could this have anything to do with the phone contacts currently being saved on the SIM card only or does Google sync harvest contacts from the SIM card for syncing purposes? Maybe when we swap the old SIM card to the new phone the contacts will tag along?

As for WeChat, the chat migration tool does ask if you want to migrate the text messages only so I assume the pictures and videos will come over to the new device. One thing that might still get lost for some odd reason is your custom "Stickers" which is what they call the bigger-than-emoticon gifs that can be inserted into messages. People love to share and save those but they were left behind the last time we had to migrate and I have seen other people complain about the same thing. Maybe they have improved the migration process but if not she can just text me all her favorite stickers first and I'll text them back to her afterward unless I can find the sticker file on the old phone. WeChat likes to bury things like that in the app code. Nice app but it's quirky.

• tmo_chris

I think you might be on to something with the whole SIM card contacts. The thing is that if you pop the old SIM in the new phone (if it fits) those contacts should pop up as well. If the contacts are not saved to Google, when she logs in when her gmail account, there won't be anything for the phone to sync Can you log into https://contacts.google.com/  with her account and see if you see her contacts there? That is where they need to be in order for them to sync to the new phone when she logs in.

• jk8849

I just did as you suggested and visited my own 'contacts.google.com' on my own computer. All I see are my Google/Gmail contacts. No phone contacts at all. And my Google account is also set to sync everything. I guess I'll cable her phone to her computer and see if I can find the phone contacts file and back it up manually along with some other things. Also, voice recordings she made on the phone's built-in voice recorder are not backing up to Google. I'll have to dig those out as well. I guess "sync everything" means almost everything.

• tmo_chris

That is super weird, if you see contacts on https://contacts.google.com/ , those contacts should definitely be syncing to the phone when logging in with the associated Gmail account. If you take the SIM out of her old phone, do you still see the contacts in here phone? If so, if you go to edit one of the contacts, are you able to see if they are saved to the phone memory?

• jk8849

I have checked both of my lines, hers and mine. In both cases when I go to contacts.google.com I only see the email contacts. I don't see any folder or category where phone contacts should be. It looks like I have to trigger the update-sync manually.

After checking Google Help: On the new LG phone, I find I need to go to: Settings>Google Services>Restore Contacts. From there I need to select my source device (it's her old Huawei phone that shows up as the contacts source so they were, in fact, backed up to Google account) then check/uncheck Device storage and/or SIM card then hit the "Restore" button. When I clicked on the Huawei device it shows over 70 contacts stored on the device and over 60 more on the SIM card. I decided to wait until we go live with the SIM card before I do this, it might become unnecessary at that point.

Since I have never done all that before it's possible it only needs to be done once. On her phones, the new and the old, the Google app is v.7.17.xx. On my poor old Galaxy S4 the Google app is way behind at v.6.15.xx. I stopped taking Google app updates on that phone due to unintended consequences. I think it caused my "Recent Apps" display to stop working for one thing. I uninstalled the update and things returned to normal so I stuck with it. My old version of the Google App doesn't even have that "Google Services" item. The S4 is also running Android 4.4.4. I guess I should get a new device for myself soon. Put in a good word for me with customer service. Tell them to offer me a big discount on a second new phone  :-)

Anyway, I'll update this thread once she gives me the green light to switch her over to the new device. Probably on the weekend.

• tmo_chris

That is some mighty fine detective work! Please do let me know how it goes once she is ready to make the switch

• jk8849

Good news/weird news.

Saturday afternoon I finally seized the moment and started the WeChat chat log migration. It happens over WiFi and I had to drop down to 2.4GHz-N because that's all the older phone can do. It looked like it was going to take over an hour but the job was finished between 30-45 minutes. It looks like Tencent has put a lot of work into the migration tool. Not only was it fast and smooth, it brought over all of the pictures and videos in the logs and it preserved all of the custom stickers. Two years ago the stickers were left behind and it was hit and miss on the pics and vids.

I was hoping the phone contacts would come over with the SIM card but the old card turned out to be a micro, not a nano, so I installed the SIM that came with the phone. Activating the SIM and moving the phone number was painless with a 6-1-1 call. Her WeChat is working great and the phone is making and receiving calls very well.

Now for the weird part: I went to Settings>Google Services>Restore Contacts, selected the old device with 138 contacts on it, then clicked "Restore". The good news is that the LG G6 now shows as having 138 contacts. The bad news is that those contacts are nowhere to be found. They are not listed in 'Contacts' either from within the phone app or from the Contacts app link. Not in Downloads either.

I did a restart of the phone and still no contacts listed. I'm stumped.

• jk8849

It just got weirder. I just tried sending a text message and as soon as I started entering my phone number as recipient, the auto-complete options list dropped down. The contacts appear to be saved inside the phone somewhere but they are not being displayed in 'Contacts'.

Any ideas?

• jk8849

Weirdness explained. When I went into Contacts>>Groups I found a "group" of contacts that had been synced from the old phone. I don't understand why it was done this way. Oh well.

The solution was to go to: Contacts>>Settings>>Contacts Settings>>Display. Once there I selected to "Customize" what to display and chose everything but her WeChat contacts. Voila, there are now 80 contacts showing in the regular Contacts list.

I originally chose to import all contacts from the old SIM and the old device; 138 total. I suspect the reason we now only see 80 is that the phone software automatically ignored duplicate contacts. Anyway, my spouse is happy and that is all that really matters.

I think we are all set now

Happy New Year!

1 of 1 people found this helpful