Pixel 2 50% Promo Rebate Denied

Back in October I needed to get a new phone and saw that T-Mobile was offering the 50% off Pixel 2 promo. I went into my local T-Mobile store and asked about the promotion. I was told that all I needed to do was buy a new Pixel 2 that was unlocked, bring the phone in to get a SIM card, and then follow the promotion procedure to get my rebate card.

Money is a little tight for me so I was worried about waiting a month or two for the rebate. But I took the risk and spent a bit out of my savings knowing that I would be getting the rebate. I bought the phone at full price, took the phone in and told the rep about what I was doing again. They gave me a new SIM card and ported over my contacts. I then went home and signed up for the rebate.

Well, I just received a denial due to the following reasons:

This rebate card offer requires that 1) your account have at least 2 lines of service, 2) one additional line of service activated during eligibility period and 3) at least one service line has an eligible rate plan. Our records indicate that you do not have the valid lines of service and/or rate plan required..

I don't really understand why I was denied. I assume I was denied for the second reason because I didn't add a new line of service. Even if that is the case, I was never once told that I needed to do that either time I visited the T-Mobile store.

I've been a loyal T-Mobile customer and reccomended them due to your great service, but I can't help but feel like I've really been scammed out of $325 dollars. I specifically talked about this promo with two T-Mobile reps in person. I was counting on that money especially for Christmas. I'm so angry right now. I would have never bought a new phone if I knew I wasn't eligible for this deal.

I want to stay a T-Mobile customer, but after this experience, I'm not so sure. T-Mobile really let me down.

All replies

• magenta3560131

Re: Pixel 2 50% Promo Rebate Denied

I've just spent the last hour looking through more of the posts and it seems T-Mobile has a real problem handling rebates correctly and efficiently.

This is disgraceful how many people have been tricked into spending large amounts of money only to have to wait 2-4 months for a rebate which ultimately gets denied. I joined T-Mobile because the customer service was stellar and they had a no-nonsense style of plan and billing. I wanted to get away from the fine print BS that Sprint put me through.

But, this is by far the worst experience I've had with a phone company so far.

• tmo_marissa

It's such a shame to read over your experience, magenta3560131. I double checked the promo terms for the Pixel 2 offer on our Recently expired rebates page and I think you might be correct about the applicable portion of the denial message -- the terms required adding a line of service for eligibility. Without reviewing your account it's tough to say for certain -- I know our teams with account access have a tool that they can use that will show them exactly what the issue is.

It sounds like it would be an understatement to say that the incomplete information you received in our store was inconvenient. This is no small sum of money, and I don't blame you for being let down. Since the Community is a public user forum, we don't have access to customer accounts here, but I would strongly recommend reaching out to our T-Force team on Twitter or FB. In those channels we can take a look and see if there are any opportunities to escalate this issue outside of the standard terms. I can't make any promises, but I feel like it's worth a shot; and I sincerely hope we're able to do something to help.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post about your experience here. We will absolutely pass this feedback on, as it's imperative that we're setting our customers up for success with every detail of a promotion's requirements.

- Marissa

• magenta3560131

I was able to get some resolution on this through T-Mobile's twitter support.