Will T-Mobile SELL me a signal booster?

dc5fan

Since I am on the $3 a month plan I know that I am unable to get one of these free. Will T-Mo sell one to me, and how much are they? I would try ebay, but reading some posts that might not be a wise thing to do.Thanks for any ideas. I get one bar, and there are about 2 or 3 cell towers near me.

All replies

• snn555

Re: Will T-Mobile SELL me a signal booster?

Those are not available for purchase. Only postpaid customers can lease free with only a deposit. No one can own one. I had heard of some people buying WiFi cellspots but those are no longer available. The LTE cellspots and LTE boosters are now version 2 and are also not available for purchase.

• snn555

Also keep in mind that you have an AT&T S5 which is not 100 percent compatible with the T-Mobile network and that is why even though you have three towers near you you do not have the best service possible.

• dc5fan

I can pick up, and able to use Band 2 and Band 4.

• snn555

But if coverage in your area has changed to primarily 12 or 66 which 66 is a sub band of four you’ll still get signal you just won’t get the same amount as you might’ve used to have previously. I understand that your phone works however you’re picking up one bar of band 4 where band 66 or 12 or coming soon 71 might actually be stronger.

I pose this angle of thought to you: if you were able to buy a booster for $200 and continue to use your AT&T phone at less than 100 percent would it be any different if you were to spend $200 on a new phone where you would not need to buy extra equipment and get 100 percent compatibility?

• dc5fan

I will "cross that bridge" when it happens. If the signal booster is $200 I will pass on it. There is a very knowledgeable person at the Champaign T-Mo store. I am sure that if and when there are changes I will find out. BTW I pick up Band 4 in Champaign with 4 bars (4G LTE) . Never have I dropped a call since 30 Nov. Very happy with my service!

• dragon1562

Snn555 makes a great point and also there are means to acquire a booster but as mentioned they are like 200 bucks generally speaking with the exception of Ebay which can be a bit sketchy. I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that you best course of action in the near future would be purchasing a mid range phone that supports the whole T-mobile network. Even though you can connect to band 2 and band 4 you are still missing out on band 12 and features like wifi-calling. The S5 is a great phone I bought one for my mom when it first came out for a mothers day gift. However its date in more than one way to the point that low end devices can outperform it and provide more value at times.

Its your choice to do what you like and I'm glad that you are happy with service I just strongly advise against a booster when a new device would provide much more value and flexibility.