All I Want for Xmas is Android Oreo for my S8

rsnic

Hi,

I have been patiently waiting for several months as first, Samsung Beta tested Amdroid 8.0 and then Android 8.1 was released.

Now I read that Samsung has released Oreo for their phones ( see:  https://search.app.goo.gl/CvLd).

While I got the monthly security update a few days ago , but the real question is when is T-Mobile going to push out Oreo for our Samsung Galaxy S8

Appreciate some useful insights

Thanks

All replies

• tidbits

Re: All I Want for Xmas is Android Oreo for my S8

When Samsung is done with the update.  T-Mobile doesn't write the code for the phones.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • rsnic

tidbits,

Acknowledge that T-Mobile doesn't write the code!  That is not what I am trying to find out.

When is a reasonable time frame for Us users to expect to be able to download Oreo for our S8s, considering that T-Mobile has to "package" code when received from Samsung to put it out over the air

Thank you

• tidbits

rsnic wrote:

tidbits,

Acknowledge that T-Mobile doesn't write the code! That is not what I am trying to find out.

When is a reasonable time frame for Us users to expect to be able to download Oreo for our S8s, considering that T-Mobile has to "package" code when received from Samsung to put it out over the air

Thank you

T-Mobile can't give you an answer because it's not up to them...  Think about for a minute...

T-Mobile does not package the code.  It's already done and the update comes from Samsung servers...  It's like the biggest BS lie being passed around for years.

All carriers do is test it and when it passes those test Samsung prepares it go out.

Can you tell me when the Hawaii rail is going to be completed?  You wouldn't be able to give me an estimate simply because you are not working on it.  I don't understand why people expect a date or some sort when thinking rationally.  If you expect T-Mobile to give a date, well then sometime after Samsungs date which Samsung has never given themselves.

• adamiam

Keep in mind that even after Samsung finishes it's changes T-Mobile will still have to put it's own spin on it adding more time to the process. Have patience... Better to have a polished version of Oreo.

• tidbits

That has been passed around and is utter BS. Samsung admitted in multiple occasions that they get everything in advance from carriers and they assign a team to work on said update. They even charge for it too. They are not going to hand over proprietary code to allow carriers to do as they please.

Sony and Google did an AOSP project and learned that carriers were the least of the delay problems. At most it was only a month. The problem was more with the FCC and licensing. One of the reasons Google decided to push out the HAL when they completed it to shorten the time for OEMs to push out updates.  The average time for this was cut down from an average of 6 months to 3 months or less. The average time for carrier testing or involvement was 1-2 months depending if the OEM wanted more or changes to code if that code is proprietary for capability issues.

OEMs could stop these "carrier spins" but they love charging for it. They will not because they make money before a device is ever sold, and when something happens consumers are 99% to blame the carrier instead of them.

• dharmpreet

I see frustration in your response. Let me brake it down for you from client prospective and why your clients bug you for the dates.

1.     We as T-mobile client, bought phone from T-mobile which has been branded by T-mobile and we are paying T-mobile for the phone. It is natural for people to bug T-mobile for the support and update not Samsung.

2.     The reason why user bug carrier for the update is that, Carriers are continuously failing to set the proper expectations. In other words carriers are poor in planning and communication. When new update release It is a project for Samsung and T-mobile team to run with it. Writing the project plan with estimate completion date is very normal practice and it is even followed by small businesses. The only problem here is T-mobile is not willing to share the estimated completion date with users. When Samsung start the work on update project, I don't see any reason why Samsung will not share estimated completion date with carriers and I don't see why carriers can't estimate update push windows based on that.

The real reason behind all these issues is that carrier choice to not give any update window to their users, they are firing over Samsung solders. Clearly it is not healthy for carrier business to give update window and set people expectations in any way and face their criticism later. Rather it is more healthy for business to stay silence and deliver surprise one day to all the users and there will be no one to complaint or blame T-mobile.

Not sure when carriers will understand that it is impotent pieces of information they should share with all the users on time or they just have this specific department running with no planning what so ever.

• gramps28

This is a user to user forum and tidbits is not a Tmobile employee.

• tidbits

dharmpreet wrote:

I see frustration in your response. Let me brake it down for you from client prospective and why your clients bug you for the dates.

1. We as T-mobile client, bought phone from T-mobile which has been branded by T-mobile and we are paying T-mobile for the phone. It is natural for people to bug T-mobile for the support and update not Samsung.

2. The reason why user bug carrier for the update is that, Carriers are continuously failing to set the proper expectations. In other words carriers are poor in planning and communication. When new update release It is a project for Samsung and T-mobile team to run with it. Writing the project plan with estimate completion date is very normal practice and it is even followed by small businesses. The only problem here is T-mobile is not willing to share the estimated completion date with users. When Samsung start the work on update project, I don't see any reason why Samsung will not share estimated completion date with carriers and I don't see why carriers can't estimate update push windows based on that.

The real reason behind all these issues is that carrier choice to not give any update window to their users, they are firing over Samsung solders. Clearly it is not healthy for carrier business to give update window and set people expectations in any way and face their criticism later. Rather it is more healthy for business to stay silence and deliver surprise one day to all the users and there will be no one to complaint or blame T-mobile.

Not sure when carriers will understand that it is impotent pieces of information they should share with all the users on time or they just have this specific department running with no planning what so ever.

1.  Just because it's T-Mobile branded even in a court of law even says the OEM is liable.  See LG and bootlooping phones.  Not one carrier has to do a thing and it's all on LG even if it carrier branded.  So people have the wrong way of thinking things, and it's time to change it if we want better support don't you think?  I honestly been saying this for years. Notice Europe, and Asian have better overall support?  We point to carriers and they point to OEMs.  Think about it.

2.  When am I going to get my pizza I just order?  When is the Rail in Hawaii going to be finished?  You are not going to know the answers to these questions because you don't work or have any knowledge about these.  So exactly how is T-Mobile going to communicate something they are not working on or even know.  It's unrealistic expectations.  Like I said easier Samsung doesn't even release these dates for their unlocked and unbranded.  Even Google doesn't release when they'll finish with their next major update.  So at what point you think T-Mobile will get that information?  The company I currently work for we have projects with Samsung and Sony and both have never given us a projected finished date for any of those projects.  We are almost finished with a project and we only know this because we are currently working on the project side by side with them on various aspects.  If we didn't and had to wait for them we wouldn't know.  Trust me my lazy boss has asked multiple times for a timeline and the best answer we got was...  "Soon".  Sound Familiar?

3 major manufacturers released timelines, and they all had one thing in common.  They took ownership for all of development.  Carriers didn't touch code like the online media, and people spew from those online media.  In fact Sony, and Googles AOSP project proved this as well.  One of the reasons if you noticed Google has stopped saying carrier delays in their official statements.  The real reason why dates are not given because something can happen and delay updates or large projects.  OEMs don't release dates to save face than to miss a soft date that people will treat like promises like you said.  They sure are glad though people in the states blame carriers. 

• axell321

Google play ---> search Oreo UI for Android Beta

• rsnic

Cheu Hoi!

I fully understand who controls what.  All I'm trying to get is an estimate

Have a great day

• snn555

You want an update every 2-4 weeks then get an iPhone.

• shelbyfan

February or so. Same as it has been for years.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, all! I know this is going to be the final bucket of water on the fire, but tidbits is right -- we don't have a date to share. I think that theartiszan makes a great point as someone participating in the beta -- as long as these beta trials are ongoing, it's unlikely that the update would be pushed (though I agree that it would be a rad holiday gift).

Ultimately, SW updates start with the OS, then go to the MFR, who details them for each carrier. Then the SW comes to us for testing, and goes back for final edits. When it's all done, new software is pushed to your equipment. It's precisely the number of steps involved in this process that prevents a timeline, but once our Software updates page gets its Oreo facelift, you can follow along with the process!

• tidbits

I wanted to add that link in the first thread is about the update, which is in BETA and not what is officially out.

• rsnic

Not trying to spark another heated debate, but can anyone offer anything as to veracity of this post:

Samsung releases Oreo kernel source code for the Galaxy S8/S8+

• rsnic

tidbits et al,

Got a Google Feed this morning about Android 8.0 out for testing on a device, so I just thought I'd check again for my device.  So I went to software update on my Samsung S8 (T-Mobile is my carrier) and manually checked for updates.

After about 20 minutes or so, voila, I now have Android 8.0 on my phone, fnally

Excelsior!