Mobile Data auto starts on reboot S7 Edge

sslman71

I just noticed today after rebooting each time now. Data automatically comes on each time I turn it back off or disable it. Reboot and it is enabled again. How do I stop it. I tried as many apps as possible with no data used in background on most apps turned off. I got all network searching turned off. Even got the switch between networks turned off. Everything is turned off, and still the mobile data comes back on. What to do? I also cleared partition cache. Nothing is stopping the mobile data from starting up after reboot.

All replies

• snn555

Re: Mobile Data auto starts on reboot S7 Edge

A lot of phones use this as a protection for when a phone is lost and a command is sent to it by say Google Device Locator so that as soon as it comes on it’s on a network and can be found. May not be able to disable auto data.

• sslman71

How can that be? I had it disabled before and it never done it before, and now your saying that is default? What? It should be able to disable when ever I want, not be forced to keep it on. It uses the battery about the same as if I keep the wifi on too. So no point of just keeping the mobile data on all the time. Stupid to be forced to have it on each reboot. Plus, this is the first time I had to use data to find a phone. I tested looking for phone before and data never worked or picked it up. It said wifi had to be connected to find the phone. When did they finally make it a data only to find your lost phone?

Anyways it is called "Find My Device."

Just did the find my device just only location turned on, and worked with data, but if you turn location off, it will not find it. So it will not just find it with data on only.

• sslman71

Guess, I am going to have to manually turn it off each boot. Since, there is no other way to keep it off. Not going to drain battery faster with being forced to have it on all the time.

• snn555

It should be mentioned that data is always active even if you turn it off for all things App related. Data has to be enabled in the background for certain messages to come and go as well as voice over LTE to work. This has long been the case on almost every android phone for the past several iterations of the operating system. You can turn data off but if you are still able to send and receive MMS then you know that data is still enabled its just not active in the sense that apps can use The data.

As far as date re enabling after boot if you were able to do it before and you can no longer I have not seen any operating system update change logs that indicate a change such as that.

• snn555

If I may ask why do you need data turned off? Do you have a severely limited data allotment or a very serious battery drain issue?

• sslman71

There is mobile data used for connection to use for internet, and there is background data. Maybe the same thing but who the heck leaves it on all the time? Battery drains faster with data always on more than wifi. So it makes no sense to keep it on all the freaking time. Only use when needed. Are you so dense that you can't understand that at all?

What is the point of having a phone if it is always being charged all the time when data drains it so fast?

Sorry, whoever I am supposed to or going to call, my phone is charging and I can't take it with me. How stupid is that? Rather have a phone to take than leave it charging and staying where it is being charged.

Keeping data always on just seems pointless if you are charging more than normal to keep it on all the time. Oh and don't tell it doesn't drain that much, because I can sit and watch it drain as I look at the phone.

The only drain issue is the data always on drain the battery issue. No issue while it is turned off and only used when necessary. Always on is not necessary and you did not give a good enough reason to leave data always on.

• sslman71

Until Google fixes the drain problem with wifi and data. I am not leaving it always on. No one in this world is going to persuade me to keep draining the battery faster by leaving them always on. No matter how many countless hours of trying to find a fix to it or someone tells me not a good enough reason to leave them always on. What works for one person is not always the way for another.

I rather manually turn it off each boot and use when necessary then charge my phone more often then needed because someone on here just says leave it on.

• snn555

I’ll be nice enough to say this then leave this thread as obviously im a dense idiot...... according to you.

If data being on is draining your phone that fast then you have a bigger issue Involving apps and system settings. I have heard about this issue in the past on other S7 phones and it was due to an update months ago.

Id suggest a factory reset but doubtful that would help. Since other phones don’t have that issue with the same OS version this would be a Samsung issue to resolve.

Best of luck.

• sslman71

No I do not have a battery problem because if I did it would do it even when data is off. WTH? It is normal for data to drain because it is all over the freaking internet on Google and other search engines that data always drains faster than wifi. So no matter how many hoops you make me go through it is not going to stop what is normally done with data.

If anyone should be fixing battery drain with data, it should be Google not me. I can't fix what everyone gets. Since, we are switching from the real problem into making me do pointless waste of time of something else, then there will never be a correct answer.

• sslman71

I just added the quick toggle to notification panel via adb, since T-mobile or whoever removed it. I added it back using adb. Now, I do not have to play with multiples steps to turn it off. No matter what, keeping data running 24/7 just seems pointless, but to turn it on only when you need it.

Not saying this is true but T-mobile might be trying to make more money by tricking us into keeping data on all the time.

• tmo_mike_c

I couldn't find much on the data feature automatically turning on as being a known issue. I do agree that if you were able to do this before, and it's not working now, a reset is going to be the best option to see if there's something going on with the software. It sounds like you've found a quick toggling method, but the reset is an option that could help.

• sslman71

I am going to consider the response I made the correct answer to me for my situation because one. I could do a reset that takes more than 1 hour to do even with it backed up because last time I did one took a very long time to do just from downloading all the apps. From Samsung account, and updating apps from Google play. So adding this mobile data toggle makes it an instant turning the data off now that I added it, but I do not understand how it became not available in the first place and why the carrier would take that toggle out.

It has always been on all my phones, and as soon as my brother puts me on T-mobile, that toggle is made to go all the way into the settings to enable and disable, and make me forced to add it via Google ADB. So to me, taking that toggle out makes no sense at all. Unless, this was intentional to make us the consumers not knowing of how much data is going to be used, and get over the limit. T-mobile says unlimited, but really data is limited after 35gb is used. So it is not really unlimited at all.

As for the battery drain. It is not as bad as I thought but still drains faster than the normal 1% per hour disabled, as around 2% an hour enabled. That extra 1% drained could make it half the time it normally would be two plus days to one day use. So instead of spending all that time resetting phone. I will just use that toggle tile that I added as soon as I reboot, when I reboot. I don't reboot the phone daily until I see an issue with phone, then I reboot. Not enough for a reset of phone to me. Phone gets great battery usage just doing it this way.

• sslman71

Well, I decide to do a full reset of everything. No backup from Google. Partial of Samsung backup except apps, because they took forever and quit and give an error saying could not restore. So I just restored everything except apps on Samsung account. I just installed what was available and I have installed fresh from play store. No more automatically turned on mobile data. So I corrected answer to T-mobile response. It fixed it. Have no clue what caused it, but I still readded the mobile data tile to the notification panel again for easy access. No reason for it to be removed. Rather have it there in panel, then go through steps or hoops to get to it to toggle off and on. I just thought since I have time, that I would do it. Like I said before, it did take over an hour. Many hours in fact. Anyways, it is back to the way I wanted.