Branched to a new discussion.

Add an additional line BOGO rebate denied

magenta3491282

I needed to add a third line to my account.  I went to the t mobile store to find out what kind of deals they had.  The sales associate told me add an additional line and Purchase an iPhone7 get an iPhone se free.  So on 8/8/17 I purchased an iphone7 and paid cash for the phone at the store.  I was given an iPhone se and financed the iPhone se.

A few days later, I never received any rebate information so I called Customer service.  They told me all was set and should be receiving my rebate in a few weeks.

After a few weeks, I called again and spoke to the rebate department directly.  They assured me that the rebate card was coming.  The rebate should be here 6-8 weeks after purchase to make sure I keep the additional line active.

So today I called again (third time) and was told that my rebate was Denied. It was denied because one, I never finance the iPhone7 and that I paid off the iPhone se early.

Financing the phone was never a condition getting of getting the second phone for free, only adding the additional line. I can't find anywhere the terms of the add additional line offer.   Now I am out of 425 dollars. 

Can anyone help me get my rebate?

Thanks

All replies

• magenta3491282

And yes, I spoke to about 6 people at T-Mobile including the rebate supervisor.

• magenta3491282

I was successful in getting the credit for the second phone.  I did spend almost eight hour calling customer service and driving back to the store of purchase. It should have not taken that long, but I am happy this is resolved.

I finally spoke/transferred to someone in the solutions department. They had the problem resolved in about 10 minutes.

Thank you helpful people in the solutions department.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta3491282! I'm sorry to read about this experience -- we should definitely be doing our best to clearly review promo terms with our customers when they're in a situation where they'd be a good fit to participate, as it certainly sounds like you were!

It looks like the description for this expired rebate has been archived permanently, so I understand why it wasn't easily searchable on the site -- honestly, it's valuable feedback that we may need to hang on to these promo terms a little longer in case customers are looking for them! I did look up the internal details, and from the description there it does look like EIP was a requirement for this 17Q2SEONUS promo -- "From June 2 to close of business on August 10, 2017, eligible customers who purchase a new Apple iPhone on EIP and activate at least one new Voice line on T-Mobile ONE or eligible Simple Choice with unlimited high-speed data can get an Apple iPhone SE 16GB (after $384 max. rebate) or Apple iPhone SE 32GB (after $400 max rebate) on us, or pay $49.99 for the iPhone SE 64GB (after $400 max. rebate) or $99.99 for the iPhone SE 128GB (after $400 max. rebate)."

That said, I completely appreciate that it wouldn't make sense to pay *more* out of pocket by purchasing one device outright in cash when you want to participate in a promotion like this; and so I am very glad to read your update.The SC team are fantastic at handling one-off situations like this, and while it's a huge bummer that you needed to exert so much effort reaching out for a resolution in the first place when we could have prevented that by providing accurate information up front, I'm glad that you didn't give up and that we were able to get this handled for you.

Thank you very much for taking the time to post about your experience here. We appreciate your feedback!

- Marissa

• magenta3491282

Thanks for the info about the rebate.  This is the first time that I have seen the actual rebate. Even when I went to the store yesterday there was no rebate info easily seen. My receipt did not have the rebate info on it.  The only place I saw the rebate info in the store was on one of the monitors advertising the current BOGO offer, in fine print.

Just to clarify what I did and what the rebate says, unless there is even more fine print to the offer.

" purchase a new Apple iPhone on EIP and activate at least one new Voice line on T-Mobile ONE".

This is what I did, I purchased the iPhone7 outright at the store and the iPhone se was set up on EIP.  The rebate does not specify how many phones (just says new) have to be on the EIP and it does not specify how long you have to keep paying on the EIP.  I made one payment towards the EIP and the next month I paid the balance off on the phone. Also, it doesn't mention if the new phone has to be on the new line of service as well.

So the real questions are.  Am I still not reading the terms correctly?  Why did the rebate get denied?  Why did I have to spend all day yesterday and two other times talking to t mobile to fix this?

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful (again thank you solutions department) this is resolved but, I had to put a lot of effort to fix this.  

• tmo_marissa

No, I totally understand. I copied & pasted one line in what is a *giant* document, so it might have been more harmful than helpful.
                      When the promo terms in the portion that I pasted refer to the "new phone on EIP", they would mean, in your case, the iPhone 7. That's why if you follow that sentence the "CAN" portion refers to the iPhone SE, so you purchase the new iPhone on EIP, activate a new line, have an eligible rate plan and data plan, and you CAN apply for the promo for the the iPhone SE. I see what you're saying, it would be more clear if the terms said something like this:

"From June 2 to close of business on August 10, 2017, eligible customers who purchase a new Apple iPhone on EIP and activate at least one new Voice line on T-Mobile ONE or eligible Simple Choice with unlimited high-speed data can ALSO get an Apple iPhone SE 16GB (after $384 max. rebate) or Apple iPhone SE 32GB (after $400 max rebate) on us, or pay $49.99 for the iPhone SE 64GB (after $400 max. rebate) or $99.99 for the iPhone SE 128GB (after $400 max. rebate)."

That would better help to call out that the EIP portion of the promo terms refers to the initial device purchase that would qualify you for the rebate on the second device, right?

Language, aside, I also know that typically we have some .pdf documents (fliers) made up for these promos and it's a good takeaway that we should be making sure that we maintain stock of them so that we can pass them out to customers for review, because it definitely sounds like we dropped the ball not just in describing the promo terms to you, but also in being able to provide you any documentation that would have given you a better chance to check the eligibility for yourself! Not to mention that since we're discussing that the language on the internal rebate document could have been a little more clear, that indicates a potential knowledge gap for our own employees who are responsible for helping to deliver this information.

I see a lot of opportunities here where we could have improved this experience for you, and I will definitely be passing that along. I can't say enough how glad I am that the SC team (I might have a small amount of hometeam pride here, I worked on that team before I moved to this role on our Support site) was able to iron this out, but I agree that they shouldn't have had to, nor should you have had to work so hard to get to that resolution. We have a lot of valuable takeaways from this experience and I really appreciate you letting us know how this played out.