T-Mobile & UPS - Bad combination

nunyo24

Couple of weeks ago I ordered the Iphone X,. The device was shipped next day air as promised however I missed the delivery. Requested that UPS hold the package as it was not delivered to an access point like the info notice stated...from there the rest is history. UPS says its on the shipper to start a tracer, Tmobile says its on me to start an investigation...I'm over here in the middle, $400 out of pocket with nothing to show for it. Doesn't seem like either side wants to take action. I started the investigation and notified T-mobile's handset research team...they sent me an email 6 days later basically stating to give UPS time to deliver the package -_- As if that helps me. I understand t mobile didn't lose the package but it doesn't seem like they'r doing much, if at all, to remedy my situation. After all...they have my money...I have no phone. Give a little here...

All replies

• tidbits

Re: T-Mobile & UPS - Bad combination

nunyo24 wrote:

Couple of weeks ago I ordered the Iphone X,. The device was shipped next day air as promised however I missed the delivery. Requested that UPS hold the package as it was not delivered to an access point like the info notice stated...from there the rest is history. UPS says its on the shipper to start a tracer, Tmobile says its on me to start an investigation...I'm over here in the middle, $400 out of pocket with nothing to show for it. Doesn't seem like either side wants to take action. I started the investigation and notified T-mobile's handset research team...they sent me an email 6 days later basically stating to give UPS time to deliver the package -_- As if that helps me. I understand t mobile didn't lose the package but it doesn't seem like they'r doing much, if at all, to remedy my situation. After all...they have my money...I have no phone. Give a little here...

That's on the shipping company not the carrier.  There will always be shipping mishaps.

I ordered a Pixel 2 and Google uses FedEx.  It shipped out Oct 19th, and I was supposed to get it Friday.  I didn't get it until next week Wednesday.  A whole 5 days past when I was supposed to have gotten it.  They lost the package and when they found it the package was damaged like an accordion.

Just 30 days before that Google shipped a replacement overnight and FedEx delivered it 4 days after it should have been delivered. 

I ordered something from Bestbuy it took 3 weeks for me to get another merchandise from them.  They had to wait for UPS delivery date to pass(if it's 2-3 day air it's 5 days before they investigate iirc).  Then it took them that long to find out what happened.

There's not much carriers can do, because it's out of their control once it's in the shippers hands. It sucks?  Yes. 

• kd09

UPS is notoriously famous for stealing iphone packages. . I got into the same situation before. I asked the UPS manager and they said it was the norm. iPhones got lost all the time, especially during the time of BOGO promo.

Lost 4 iphones to the hand of UPS already. So kindly ask for some more reliable shipping methods.

• tmo_mike_c

Sorry to hear your phone hasn't gotten to you. That's a little odd you'd get a response like that. I'm curious, does the UPS website show any shipping status? In addition to us investigating this, has UPS stepped in and provided any info as to how they can help find this phone for you? Please let us know.

• tmo_mike_c

Ah okay. Thanks for replying back. Please keep us updated on this. I really wanna make sure this gets taken care of for you.

• tmo_chris

Just checking in here to see how things are going. Please let us know if you still need help.

• nunyo24

So t-mobile ordered me another IPhone X. I had to pay the down payment again but this one was actually delivered. Now I just have to wait til they work things out with UPS so I can get my down payment back for the one that was never delivered. They filled out a form with the handset research team...again, but the team sent me an email saying that the phone is being held at one of UPS facilities for pickup which we have already established is not the case because I checked the UPS facility twice, the second time after they updated the tracking number stating it was being held, and the facility manager said it wasn’t there -_- So I’m assuming the handset research team is just looking at the tracking info instead of actually getting on the hook with UPS to verify the location of the device. Hopefully I get my money back for the old phone soon.

• tmo_amanda

nunyo24 , thank you for getting back to us. I'm sorry this has been a headache and you're still waiting on your refund. Sometimes it can take up to 30 days and I have my fingers crossed that it'll be sooner than that. Please keep us updated on the investigation. We want to make sure everything is 100% handled.

15yos, wow, you've been through a lot with your order. I'm so happy to hear that in the end everything ended up okay and I appreciate you sharing your story in case others have the same scenario that you did.

• tmo_marissa

Hi there, nunyo24! I know there haven't been many "business days" since your last post and today; but we wanted to check in with you and see how things are going. Was a second investigation launched after that email response you received from the handset research team? It sounds as though a handset research escalation may be in order if a second investigation isn't successful - this kind of escalation lets a member of our Care or T-Force team send an email to the handset research team along with the form that they'd file; so that they can explain what you've just described in case we're only reviewing the tracking instead of confirming with the facility manager, like you're thinking.

Amanda is right that overall the refund process can take up to 30 days; but we want to make sure we're on the right track to get your refund delivered within or *before* that timeline's complete. How are things going for you?

- Marissa

• nunyo24

The handset research team was notified twice already. The first time, they emailed me after 6 days stating for me to wait until the package was delivered. The second time was stating that the package is being held for pickup. Both responses match the status UPS had on the tracking info but both was also filed after the investigation was started. I’ve already spoke with T Mobile countless times, at this point I’m just going to wait til Jan 16th to see if anything is recovered or a claim made so I can get my refund. I really don’t want to get on the phone with T Mobile or UPS again because I’m just going around in circles. T Mobile hasn’t charged me the full amount for the down payment on the new phone they shipped. I did see about a 150$ increase in my bill so maybe they are taking into account that I already paid for a previous phone? Maybe they are charging the down payment in installments? I dunno. I’ll just wait to see what happens.

• tmo_marissa

That's totally your call. I know you've put a ton of legwork in on this already and I don't blame you one bit if you're tired of reaching out! Personally I try to recommend being proactive in situations like this, because if the last investigation was complete per the email you received, our Handset Research team won't know to escalate the issue unless they're contacted by Care or T-Force (a team with account access) using the email process I mentioned above. FWIW, if you do change your mind and want to be proactive, then to reach out to T-Force you just have to send a FB message on the T-Mobile FB page or send a DM to @tmobilehelp on Twitter -- no phone call required!

• tmo_mike_c

I agree with Marissa. Reaching out to our T-Force team is a very good suggestion. I see you've done a lot already in regard to contacting us but it's worth a shot to give our social support team a shot instead of just waiting for next month.

• 15yos

I bought V30s, and my order was questionably 'delayed' in the mail by UPS as well - twice for that matter! - and with zero explanation.  I eventually got both devices, but I'm definitely leery of using UPS ever again.

Given my particular situation, if my order- especially the second half - had gotten irrecoverably 'lost' after hanging in update limbo, I would have filed a complaint against UPS citing gross negligence in timely updates of accurate shipping status which would have then prevented me from starting an investigation sooner.

There's a reason that we, as consumers, are allowed to track our packages and given that all packages need to be scanned, there are very few legitimate reasons for scanned packages to suddenly get 'lost' in shipment limbo - especially so many related to higher end electronics like mobile phones, tablets, and laptops.

That said, here's my story and this is one of the reasons why I've been with T-Mobile for so many years:

So as we all know, the UPS Tracking feature allows you to see the shipping status and the minute I received a tracking number, I signed up for a UPS account just so I could track my packages.  Seeing my shipment progress never moving past 'In Transit' all the way up to the date of delivery, I started to worry.  Late packages are one thing, but lost packages are another and the fact that my packages totaled $1700 without tax was a very heavy thought.

In the afternoon on the date of delivery, I chatted with my friend and when they told me that late UPS packages are usually indicated in shipping status and that by now, I should have at least seen a last reasonable scanned location, the alarm bells went off.  When 11PM arrived with no shipping updates and nobody had arrived with my delivery, I immediately called T-Mobile's customer support to clue them in and to get advice.

The representative on the other end of the line was just as concerned - yeah, $1700 to get 'lost' in the mail is NOT acceptable especially since I was already making payments on them both - and bless them, they ended up putting in a call to UPS for me with the promise to call me back with some kind of update.

When they called me back, they said that UPS had informed them that the delivery would be late and that they're sorry.  When asked about the location, we discovered that the package was with the driver, still, and that they were out making the delivery!

Really?  Unscanned for so long?!  At midnight?!  With the DRIVER?  And not reporting a delivery delay?  Yeaaahhh, NO.

Anyhow, UPS promised an online update ASAP and that was that for the night.

The T-Mobile representative kindly refunded me my shipping costs and instructed me to keep them posted with the shipping updates.

Miraculously, suddenly my packages were scanned the next day bright and early and after the weekend had passed (how convenient, right?) ---

I received ONE of TWO packages.  Somehow, even though both packages were scanned at the same delivery facility, only one made it to me.

Where did the other one go?!

I activated my ONE phone and in the process, had to explain to T-Mobile that once again, a package had yet to arrive even though one of them did and I was told once again to check for any more updates.

Sure enough, shortly after, a notice appeared saying that it got SCANNED AGAIN... at a shipping facility nearly 40 MILES away with no mention of it being out for delivery!

... WHAT?!  Did I mention that the previous facility was only 10 MILES away from my house and that I live almost next door to TWO freeway exits?  Well, it is.

Shortly after THAT, UPS delivered a shipping location error and after yet MORE waiting, I finally received package number TWO and that was finally the end of my UPS nightmare.

There are a couple of things (very) questionably wrong with this story on UPS' end and because of those things, I VERY firmly believe that if T-Mobile hadn't given UPS that telephone call at midnight to investigate what was going on, my shipping statuses may never have updated and consequently, I may never have received EITHER of those packages and it would have all happened without my knowing.

I'm willing to give UPS the benefit of the doubt, but not enough to make me want to give them by business ever again for someone of higher value.

Thankfully, both devices are fine - or seem to be fine! - and so my story ultimately has a happy ending.

Moral of the story?

If on the day of delivery and it's getting late and you have a questionable shipping status, give T-Mobile a ring and see what they have to say. Let them know that you're concerned because your shipping status was never updated correctly and now that it's the date of delivery, neither the status changed nor the delivery arrived. And if this questionable shipping issue continues, keep them updated because who knows?  Maybe T-Mobile asking UPS where is the delivery will be enough to trigger some positive action.  At the very least, it will provide less incentive for the questionable behaviors to continue and give UPS a headstart into investigating and heading off a potential issue.

I can't imagine T-Mobile likes the idea of lost shipments any more than we do as customers and us being proactive lets them be proactive as well and this then trickles down the chain.  This - along with my previous customer support experience - is what I banked on when I made that phone call at midnight and I am very happy to report that I was right.

I'm sorry for all the phones lost in limbo and I'll be wishing for the best for everyone!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • magenta3613821

Similar issues here as well and this is 10 months after you went through it. Purchased new iPhone on T-mobile website on the 10th, paid for expedited/next day/UPS Next Day Air Saver. Got an e-mail that package was shipped and the tracking number from T-Mobile. Checked bank account and saw the money was taken out for the iPhone and delivery. Watched the iPhone which was marked as "Out for Delivery" on the UPS tracking site all day on the 11th. The UPS truck marked as having my package even made stops to deliver packages to neighbors. Never got the iPhone, started calls/chat with T-Mobile and UPS that night (both companies take the "it will be there, just wait until <insert random time> and if you don't have it, reach back out to us" stance). On the 12th UPS had it marked as "In Transit", T-Mobile called me that morning to say they spoke with UPS and it was being loaded on the truck for delivery as we spoke. Rep stated I would have it by 3PM according to what UPS told them. 3PM came and went, didn't get my package. Contacted T-Mobile and UPS (both companies take the "it will be there, just wait until <insert random time> and if you don't have it, reach back out to us" stance) again. I was given 7PM as the time I would have it by this time. Reach out to both companies for support again between 3PM and 7PM on the 12th. Figure it's time for a 3 way call if I can't get a resolution. Start with UPS, who states they are unable to locate the package and that it is considered lost (looks like I won't have it by 7PM on the 12th). UPS states they need the shipping party (T-Mobile) to to start the claim. I go through the initial rep to and a supervisor from UPS to get them to do a 3 way call with T-Mobile. UPS starts the call and cold transfers me to T-Mobile without saying they were dropping off the call. The guy I talk to from T-Mobile says I need to report it to UPS and start the claim/investigation process, I tell him UPS says T-Mobile needs to report it to them (Which he says he has never heard of and continues to try to get me to call UPS). I spend 30 minutes explaining to the T-Mobile rep that UPS wants them to initiate the process to investigate. He eventually speaks with a supervisor and states he will contact UPS and update me by the 15th. I hang up and the supervisor of the T-Mobile rep I just spoke with calls me. He calls UPS with me on the phone and cold transfers me to the UPS investigate department and drops off the call without informing anyone. UPS again states they need T-Mobile to initiate the process, but not until 7PM as the UPS website shows it as "In Transit" and I should have it by 7PM. I am extremely upset at this point and give up for the day. 7PM passes and I don't have any package. On the 13th, I contact T-Mobile support via chat. I type everything out before hand including the above timeline/story, the order number, the tracking number and anything else I can think to include. The T-Mobile chat rep files a handset research case and provides me the number for it. He is helpful, and finally gets the ball rolling on a resolution for the issues I've been dealing with. I ask that I be refunded for the expedited shipping and for the ability to go to a local T-Mobile store to pick up a matching iPhone for the one I ordered and has gone into a blackhole during shipping. I ask that T-Mobile deal with UPS separately from my request for the sake of customer service/satisfaction as I have already spent far too much time and money on the issue. He is unable to do this because of T-Mobile policy. He can't move my payment from the online order to an in store pickup. I will either have to:

1. Go in store, pay for another device to get the iPhone in a reasonable amount of time and wait for the case to finish to get a refund for the lost phone and shipping fees.

2. Wait for the research case to be completed for a full refund and order another iPhone online or in store after that.

3. Wait for UPS and T-Mobile to possibly find the iPhone in a UPS facility or Truck (and trust that UPS will at this point get it delivered to me).

None of these options seem to be in the interest of the customer getting what they paid for as soon as possible. T-Mobile really needs to evaluate the policy that is in place for issues like this. These policies are not in line with customer retention and need to be altered. If anything further can be done to expedite this and get the new iPhone in my hands faster, please let me know. My current phone has battery issues and is the primary reason I ordered a new one. This isn't even for the newest iPhones, the phone I bought is an iPhone 8 Plus.