new account activation fee

probear

Is there an activation fee for new accounts?

All replies

• snn555

Re: new account activation fee

It’s a SIM starter fee of $20. Not called activation but that’s what it is.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey there!

I know it's been a few days but have you gotten this taken care of? Please let us know if you need more help. Thanks!

• dc5fan

On Sept 30 (this year) I joined T-Mobile. I was charged $10 (plus state tax) for my SIM card. I am on the $3 a month Pay As You Go plan.

• nelfar212

I really can't comment about activation fees of today, it's been along time for me. Prior to my switch to T-mobile in 2007, I used Cingular wireless ,AT&T, Voice stream, and Sprint PCS back then account activation fees were pretty standard among the carriers, ranging from $25-$35. per line.

• dragon1562

There should not be a fee although I distinctly remember being charging 25 bucks when switching from prepaid to postpaid. Had I known what I do now I would of asked for the person to cut me some slack with the sim card bs. As I was already basically a customer.

• snn555

I may be mistaken but I believe T-Mobile uses separate Siems between postpaid and prepaid lines. You think it would be easy to change the Sim ID from postpaid prepaid or vice versa but I imagine they separate the Sim cards by batch and each number is identified as one plan or the other at time of activation or before activation even and much like a device ID number is in the database that Sim number is in a separate database.

• snn555

But to answer the original question there is not an activation fee by name there is a fee for the Sim card. It’s basically the same thing with a different name. You have to activate the Sim for service.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, all! It looks like the feedback on this thread has covered a bunch of different scenarios! Generally speaking, a SIM starter kit for new postpaid service (each brand new line) does have a fee, which is currently $25. This covers the SIM itself, but also authentication on the T-Mobile network, security features for wireless transmission, and SIM card lock. The fee for a SIM starter kit for paid in advance service is $10, but I do believe the fee would be $25 if switching from paid in advance to postpaid. If you're upgrading and can simply use your existing SIM on the same line with a new device, then there shouldn't be a fee to switch your SIM over to the new device -- but if you're completing that upgrade with our Care or Retail team there is an upgrade support fee of $20. Upgrading online or through the app, and in any method with JUMP! or JOD does not have an upgrade support fee.