Static/Hiss during calls

colormemagenta

Hello,

I’ve been having call quality problems on my iPhone 8 Plus since I switch from Verizon to T-Mobile. It doesn’t matter if I have one or four bars of signal strength, I continually hear static and a low volume hiss in the line ( much like you would hear if you turned the volume of a radio up with no music or voice being broadcast ). Currently, I think the issue has something to do with the service itself or maybe a setting on the phones. I say this because of the following tests that I have done:

The static/hiss occurs on each of the items listed below:

1. Calls from the new iPhone 8 Plus (This phone is only a week old from T-Mobile).

a. Occurs with the phone restored from a backup, and also on a freshly configured device (e.g. no backup was restored).

2. Calls from my old iPhone 6s Plus with the T-Mobile sim. I used this phone with Verizon, and the call quality was prefect.

3. Calls from a one year old Google Nexus 6P. Same case as item 2 above (e.g. Fine with Verizon sim, but static/hiss when using the T-Mobile sim).

Any help would be appreciated.

ColorMeMagenta

All replies

• dragon1562

Re: Static/Hiss during calls

I just wanted to ask if the phone in question is updated to the lastest version of IOS? Also when you place phone calls have you tested things like wifi calling and other voice apps to see if the hissing is still there. If so its probably the device. There is also the chance of some form of interference. Does the static sound only happen in one location i.e your house or is it everywhere.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • colormemagenta

Thanks for replying Dragon,

My answers are in BOLD below:

I just wanted to ask if the phone in question is updated to the lastest version of IOS? Yes. I have iOS 11.2 on both iPhones, and Android v8 - Oreo on the Nexus 6P.

Also when you place phone calls have you tested things like wifi calling and other voice apps to see if the hissing is still there. If so its probably the device. I haven't tried WiFi calling - i.e. good idea, but recorded a short voice recording using Apple's "Voice Memo" application. I did this on both iPhones. I didn't hear any static/hiss in my house; however, I did notice static when recording in my car. The static was noticeable form the earpiece, iPhone speaker and through the car's audio system using bluetooth.

There is also the chance of some form of interference. Does the static sound only happen in one location i.e your house or is it everywhere. I've noticed the static/hiss everywhere, but is does seem worse in the car (e.g. parked or moving with a friend making a call on the phone in the seat next to me). The static/hiss was noticeable from several locations (e.g. home, parking lot, work, mall etc.).

• dragon1562

Thanks for the info. You mentioned using voice memo and not hearing the hiss which basically accomplishes the same goal as placing a call over some other means like wifi calling( which I would still like you to try). Honestly its looking like something related to the network if its happening across so many devices. There was a thread I was looking at recently in regards to hd voice causing a similar issue on galaxy devices. So if possible could you try placing the call over 4g(HSPA+) and 2g and see if that makes any difference.

You could also just try turning off HD voice if that is a option still on any of your devices. Let me know if that helps or if the hiss persists.

• tmo_amanda

Hey, colormemagenta (love your username)!

Welcome to our Support Community. dragon1562 is a coverage guru and made a good point about the network. Have you had a chance to try the suggestions he made? If so, did you notice any difference in the call quality? You can always give this a shot, too.

• tmo_marissa

Howdy! Just wanted to check in here and see if you'd had been able to test out dragon's or Amanda's suggestions. How are things going for you?

- Marissa

• colormemagenta

Hello,

Thanks for the suggestions dragon1562 and your inputs Amanda and Marissa.

I did try a call using WiFi Calling. It seemed to have less noise (e.g. hissing sound). I didn't notice any static; however, the hiss was still present but at a lower volume. You suggested placing a call over 4g(HSPA+) and 2g. I'm not too sure how to do that. What I did, however, was make a call after setting the iPhone attribute Cellular -> Cellular Data Options -> Enable LTE to the values Off, Voice & Data and Data Only. I noticed the hiss and/or static noise after each value. I tried this with both the iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone 6s Plus. Also, I noticed the hiss/static noises are more pronounced when making a call using the bluetooth SYNC system in my car. When playing music from all phones over the SYNC system, the audio output is perfectly clear.

One other surprising test occurred with an AT&T sim.. I tried an AT&T sim in my iPhone 6s and repeated the same above test. The hiss/static seem to be about the same; however, when using a Verizon sim, the call quality is very clear. I will attempt the same test using the AT&T sim in the Nexus 6P tomorrow. If the results are the same, it is starting to make me question the call quality of the GSM technology (AT&T and T-Mobile) vs. CDMA (Verizon and Sprint). 

ColorMeMagenta

• dragon1562

If hissing was still present on AT&T network as well it makes me believe that there is some kind of issue with the device itself in regards to APN settings. I used both AT&T and T-mobile as my personal phone networks and can tell you honestly that I have never had poor call quality with AT&T. As for the specific hiss I have never encountered it with T-mobile across various phones including ones ported from other carriers.

Also by turning of VoLTE you basically accomplished what I was hoping for however if you would like to try placing a call over 2g you would do it by turning off data completely on the i phone and for the nexus you would go to Settings--> Wireless & Networks --> Cellular networks --> and change preferred network type

Network, APN, and VoLTE: Google Nexus 6

the link above is to a t-mobile doc which should allow you to verify that your APN settings are also set up correctly.

Also if possible I would see about talking to Apple and explain everything you have done thus far since I personally believe that it may be some sort of issue with the device that is causing the feedback.Your voice memo test leads me to that conclusion since that doesn't use any kind of cellular technology. As well as the fact that the issue is apparent across two different carriers.

• tmo_mike_c

Hi there!

Looks like dragon1562 gave some really good steps in the last post. Were you able to give them a shot to see if that helped the hissing sound? Please keep us updated on this. Thank you!

• tmo_amanda

Happy Friday, colormemagenta!

I'm just swinging by to see if you're still having issues with the call quality. If so, take a look at the suggestion dragon1562 made with regard to switching your phone to 2G and testing out calls again. Let me know how that goes.

• tmo_marissa

Hi hi! Just wanted to check in here and see if you'd had a chance to test call quality on 2G or with the Nexus on 2G/in general. How are things going?

• tmo_marissa

Hey there, colormemagenta! I just wanted to touch base with you once more to see if you'd been able to do a little more troubleshooting and check on your results. Please let us know how you're doing if you're still working on this! Thanks.

- Marissa