SyncUP Drive doesnt repot accurate mpg

fbautistat

I have been using syncup drive for a few months now, however it always report that my mpg average is around the 25-28mpg when my car (Jeep Wrangler) is rated in between 16 (city) and 20 (hwy) mpg, the device accurately detects the car and vin but I am surprised it is not smart enough to report an accurate mpg based on speed/gas tank levels and distance. Btw gas levels seem accurate.

does anyone know if that is fixable?

regards

All replies

• snn555

Re: SyncUP Drive doesnt repot accurate mpg

TLDR

These things are not the most accurate of devices.

I think sync up works very similar to devices like my ELM327 OBDII adapter which I use with my android and Torque Pro app. The sync up uses data and sends reports and my set up is self contained. However I know that all metrics have to be entered properly. Weight and units of measurements and engine size and tank capacity and etc.

I have read other posts regarding incorrect odometer mileage as well as MPG.

The ECM and PCM and adapter may all report slight differences. Also MPG may be instant or average. The only advantage this sync up has over the ELM is GPS tracking. Most people already have roadside assistance included with their automotive insurance.

These OBD2 adapters of any kind are a generalization of specificity.   I considered the sync up long after I had already bought the $10 ELM and $5 Torque Pro app when it was free with adding a line.  But again the info was too general and no way to add manufacture specific PIDs so specific to car generic codes can lead one astray as to the real issue.

I suppose wifi is nifty if none of your other devices can hotspot but a data plan bigger than 2GB is needed. Also the device is made by ZTE. Not a trusted name in many circles.

• tmo_chris

Wouldn't it be nice if the little SyncUP device gave you that extra MPG? We would sell a bazillion of them if they upped your MPG by 10 haha. In all seriousness though, if you are doing the math on it yourself using your odometer and how much gas you are putting in your jeep between each fill up and it is off by that much, we will need to get an escalation sent up on this. Please contact us when you have some time so we can get the ball rolling.

• snn555

Again. The adapter can’t read the engine control module with full permissions so it goes on an assumed average.

• livethisdream

I'm having the same issue - consistently getting wrong data. It claims my battery is low, but when I check through my vehicle stats, my voltage is fine. The SyncUp is claiming my Durango gets 30 mpg, even when towing a 6000 pound camper. I wish...

• snn555

I'd direct you to my previous replies.

• livethisdream

Yes, I read the entire thread before I posted. The disparity goes beyond anything I would expect from normal error sources - these numbers are way out in left field and don't provide any meaningful context. Even basic math (miles driven / gallons used) could get more accurate results than what I'm seeing. Also, the fact that it gives me critical warnings about the state of my battery, when my battery is fine, is very disconcerting. I don't really want to replace a $200 battery before I have to. Are you saying the data produced by the ECU varies that much compared to what's put out on the OBD-II port? To see this great of a difference would be very surprising.

• snn555

What I'm saying is is that a lot of these Port adapters you find on eBay are exactly the same thing T-Mobile uses for their adapter even if it's made by ZTE.

Which I don't necessarily trust because ZTE is owned by the Chinese government.

The only difference between a $20 adapter and this adapter is the fact that it uses a SIM card for data.

A lot of these adapters depend on information that can be displayed and transmitted between it and the app on the phone as well as what the adapter can actually read from the vehicle's computer.  It also depends on exactly what the app can decipher from the adapter and what it can decipher from the ECM. That just means there's a lot of moving parts of information that depend on how well the next part can interpret the previous part.

This is nowhere near as an exact science as using a manufacturer's scan tool like at a dealership that is made specifically for that model vehicle or series of Drive trains.

This all culminates in information that may or may not be generalized or specific.

I can see certain functions like GPS and location and it  picking up on various generic engine codes but I don't see it being very good with specific integers and data values such as what is sent to the instrument cluster from the engine control module.

Also keep in mind that most adapters of any kind do not read the transmission control module which is also part of the drivetrain.

Basically this is just an added piece of technology that serves to give you a graphical user interface of idiot lights.

Now in my case I have a special app that is tuned to read these cheaper adapters and compensate for their generic values. That said I'm doing pretty much the same thing this sync up drive adapter does with a $5 app and $10 adapter. With no monthly fee.