Note 3 updates

zoney

My note 3 had rebooted twice in the last few months,. I knew there was an update it wanted to install (N900TUVUCNB4) but from reading I was afraid it would kill the battery life so I kept ignoring it. The other day I decided to go into a TMobile store and ask if they could tell why it had rebooted. The first thing they did was say something about checking for updates and before I could even think to say no, they started the update. After this the battery uses about 50% in 24 hours with NO use. Before I could go 3 days with very light use and still have over 60-65% left. Leaves no doubt to me that the update is the root cause. In reading I've read the the NF1 update fixes a battery issue. Is it still possible to get this update? I found it online in a few places but they all want money to download it. I'm also not sure getting it from anyone other than Tmobile or Samsung is a smart thing to do security wise.  I'm afraid if I check for updates with the phone that I"ll get the lastest and greatest and at this point I'm not sure I want that.

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: Note 3 updates

Hey, zoney!

I've had a few updates that I didn't want to install in the past and continually put it off so I'm bummed to hear about your situation. Unfortunately, we do not have previous updates available for download. As for the battery drain, I would agree that it's related to the software update. Currently, we don't have any workaround steps but you can always give this a shot to improve battery life.

• zoney

Thanks Amanda, that's the not the answer I wanted, but was the one I expected. I seem to recall a Samsung kiosk at Best Buy, I guess I'll ask them as well, but I expect the same answer there. Yes, I've tried all the things to improve battery life, all to no avail. Another thing that irritates me is that I went to 2 Tmobil stores after this, explained it. and both times they wanted to sell me another phone! Needless to say, I'm less than impressed. A few points that I think someone at Tmobil should be aware of, and work to improve.

1. New firmware downloaded to the phone without me asking it to.

2. No option to delete that firmware, only options are to install or hit the home button, no ignore button.

3. When asking about a problem in a store, they just went ahead and installed the new firmware without asking if the customer wanted it.

4. No way to get any older version of firmware, Only options are keep what you have or get the latest and in this case it's 5.0 and 5.1 will not be offered.

5. When asking in a store about the battery life problem caused by the new firmware, 2 stores just wanted to sell a new phone.

Yes, this means that I'm not a happy customer.

• tmo_amanda

I know, zoney, and I wish I had better news for you. You're right, this is a learning opportunity. On our end, we haven't been notified that battery drainage is a known issue on the latest software update for your Note 3 or perhaps the outcome of your situation might have been a bit different. Thank you so much for your feedback. If we receive any additional steps about improving the battery life after the update, we will gladly send it your way.

• nelfar212

Too add insult to injury the NOTE III is no longer supported, I'm thinking of installing the stock firmware to see of that fixes the issue or root it, since it 4 years old now and no longer under warranty. 

• sgispanski

My Note 3 did the same thing last week. I did a factory restore and still cannot use the phone at all. I have no other apps downloaded. My phone is in pristine condition and it sucks that I will have TO BUY another phone. That seems to be the only solution.

• zoney

For others that may encounter this, this made things better than what they were. I cleared the system cache partition, the 4th time seems to have made the most difference. I know it doesn't make sense, but hey it helped. Yes, that means I cleared the system cache partition 4 times! To do so, boot into recover mode and select clear cache.