Switch from Sprint, Google Voice integration questions

secondgear

I just switched to T Mobile from Sprint. I had my Sprint number registered with Google Voice. I could use Voice to send SMS messages and listen to voicemail. I do not recall how I had it set up, it was years ago.

This was super because if I left my phone in my car, I could still send and receive SMS and even know what calls I had. Having the google voice chrome extension that notifies me when new messages arrive was superb. I often leave the phone in silent mode and having a visual notification and the ability to respond via the web was really handy.

Is anything like this possible with T Mobile? Any pointers to howtos or documentation would really be appreciated. I see stuff on porting numbers into Voice but really don't know the ramifications of doing that.

All replies

• tidbits

No it isn't integrated.  Sprint and Google have a deal for the integration to work the way it works.

The closest thing would be digits. Set up DIGITS

2 of 2 people found this helpful
        • tmo_mike_c

Hey there secondgear !

Just stopping in to say that tidbits is spot on with that reply. Our DIGITS service will be the closest feature we have to offer that'll let you use the service like you've descrbed. You should take a peek at that link and see if that fits your needs.

• secondgear

Thanks for the responses. I've been using Digits for a couple days and it's really close to what I had with Voice.

Here's a couple wishlist items I have for Digits:

• I've sent messages with Digits that were simply not delivered. I asked a friend why he didn't respond and he never got the message. I checked my phone and the message wasn't there.
            • I wish it had my full call & SMS/MMS history
            • Having a notification widget in the toolbar would be really nice
            • I've had to start from scratch more than once making me reconnect my contacts with google.
            • This is minor, but I'd really like to be able to paste an image into the text interface rather than having to use the paperclip "attach" function.

I wonder why a company would go to the trouble of writing Digits when Voice already exists. Is the cost of writing and maintaining the software less than what Google would have charged to use Voice?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • tidbits

secondgear wrote:

Thanks for the responses. I've been using Digits for a couple days and it's really close to what I had with Voice.

Here's a couple wishlist items I have for Digits:

• I've sent messages with Digits that were simply not delivered. I asked a friend why he didn't respond and he never got the message. I checked my phone and the message wasn't there.
                • I've had to start from scratch more than once making me reconnect my contacts with google.
                • This is minor, but I'd really like to be able to paste an image into the text interface rather than having to use the paperclip "attach" function.

I wonder why a company would go to the trouble of writing Digits when Voice already exists. Is the cost of writing and maintaining the software less than what Google would have charged to use Voice?

1. Not sure why this happens but it should work just fine.  It missing from your phone is because you are either using a device that doesn't have it integrated into the apps(non T-Mobile devices). 

2.  You do have full history, but it doesn't work outside of non T-Mobile phones are integration needs to happen.  Currently there are only a limited of T-Mobile devices that support Digits Integration.

3.  Notifications widget in the toolbar?  Can you give an example or you just using the wrong terms perhaps? like below on windows?

Digits.PNG

4.  That'll always happens regardless of apps until 8.0 there are some changes to make this process easier.

5.  A lot of people would like this including myself.

No I do not work for T-Mobile if you are wondering.  I have been using Digits since the first day of beta.

T-mobile can't use voice because Sprint has an exclusive deal with Google.  The only way T-mobile could use it is probably a buy out, or outbid Sprint when the contract expires.  The latter no one knows when it expires.  So it would be more beneficial to make their own if the contract is very long for Sprint.

• secondgear

I think I'm now really confused. I only used Voice on the web to be able to access & send messages/calls that were sent to my phone.

I really appreciate all the help given here. I would be lost without your help. Is there doc that explains Digits in detail?  What does the app do on my phone? What are the T-Mobile devices that support Digits Integration?

Nearly every time I go to Digits on the web at https://wrc.t-mobile.com/wrcpro/app , I get this:

Why does it say "No Lines Available"?

If I close that window and just try a few more times, I'll get here:

It looks like it's asking me to re-register. Tonight, after using the above, I'm into Digits and all my contacts are there. The android app did ask if I wanted to upload my contacts to Digits and I said yes. I think that was a mistake. Having gmail & contacts in sync is really what I want.

Since I want to use Digits on the web, the widgets I'd like to see are like the ones for my gmail notifier & voice's widget. Each is update with the number of unread items.

One other weird thing that happens every time I log into Digits is it says I have 1 new message and it's my first test message I sent when I first got the phone:

Again, thank you all for the help.

• tidbits

Digits has a standalone app and you don't have to go through the web browser.

T-Mobile DIGITS - Downloads

Keep in mind you will have to register every time you close as the kee[ me logged in thing is per session not always connected for  security reasons.

That looks like a bug and probably needs to be addressed.  Mine doesn't do it, but I do use the app instead of the browser.

The app works like the Google Voice app, but devices with integration allow you to track everything sent from the phone, and also sent from device.  It works logging from the phone the digits will see it, but if you send through the web/desktop app the phone won't show that text without integration.  T-Mobile branded phones like the G6, V20, V30, and Samsung phones like the S7, S8, Note 8 have integration.  Those are the phones I remember that is supposed to.  IF you have one from another carrier or one from unbranded then the integration will not be there.

Ok those are not widgets thanks for the screen shot.  That is either extensions or apps.  Google just removed the apps so you can't download them anymore so if you ever factory reset or uninstall chrome you will lose the apps.  Digits doesn't have either one.  You can always request it.

As far as test text staying unread every time you logged in.  Doesn't happpen with me.  You can send feedback and they'll look into it.

• secondgear

Thanks - I guess I'm confused about what the standard use case for Digits really is.

What's the purpose of the app on my phone? I already have access to my messages and phone calls.

I real need I have is to be able to use a web client to know about phone calls, voicemails, and send/receive sms/mms messages.

• tidbits

secondgear wrote:

Thanks - I guess I'm confused about what the standard use case for Digits really is.

What's the purpose of the app on my phone? I already have access to my messages and phone calls.

I real need I have is to be able to use a web client to know about phone calls, voicemails, and send/receive sms/mms messages.

The app is mainly for devices not you main device.   For example an iPad, iPod Touch, Android phone on wifi or another number, or an Android tablet.  You can also use it place of your phones apps because it doesn't integrate so you can keep an accurate record of your text conversations, or phone calls because you used the web app over the one on your phone.

The web works, but they also have a standalone app where you don't have to connect to the web(this is what I use because I don't always have my browsers running).

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                • tmo_mike_c

Hello there!

Just want to know if you got the info you needed about DIGITS. Did you still need some help clearing up any confusion? Please let us know. Thank you.

• tmo_mike_c

Thanks for giving DIGITS a shot! I'm glad to hear it's doing at least some of what you wanted.

As for your request, I have a few thoughts to share:

This is quite strange. Did you get confirmation that the message was sent, and then you see the message disappears from your inbox? Or, are you getting a sending error?

Are you talking about the history before or after you downloaded the app?

There should be a notification specifically for DIGITS at the very top of the screen where other ones appear. If you thinking of having something aside from that, I'll pass that feedback along to our devs.

If you mean you've had to resync your Google contacts after uninstalling the program, this can happen but I'll still let our devs know this is your feedback.

• This is minor, but I'd really like to be able to paste an image into the text interface rather than having to use the paperclip "attach" function

Ah yes. We've gotten this feedback before. I've heard of folks wanting to copy and paste images from the web for example and wanted to paste it into the app. If this is the case for you, the only workaround I can think of is to download the image into the phones gallery. Once it's there, you could probably tap the paperclip icon. It's a bit of an extra step, but it could help.