upper peninsula

mqtdan

I see from the coverage map that T-Mobile doesn't provide coverage to the upper peninsula of Michigan. If I travel up there will I not have service at all? Will service be provided through someone else's towers/service?

Does T-Mobile have an intention on expanding to the UP?

Just a suggestion. I know the UP is relatively small. but it has 3 major universities and several smaller colleges. This would be a great opportunity for T-Mobile to gain newer customers that are paying higher fees to At&t or Verizon.

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: upper peninsula

Hey there! I just took a look at the area and unfortunately we do not have any coverage in that area and we don't have any roaming agreements with any other carriers there. I am also not seeing any future plans, at least in the near future for plans to expand coverage there but that is not saying that it will never happen. If you plan on traveling to that area and your phone/account qualifies for it, you can contact us to have your phone unlocked so you could perhaps pick up a prepaid sim for a carrier that does have coverage there.

• victor_fox

I know this an old thread but figured I keep adding to it instead of starting a new one.  I know that coverage was basically non-existing in 2017, but now it shows that it is supported by the T-Mobile network.  Because of it, I went ahead I switched from AT&T to T-Mobile but I'm finding out that I barely get any T-Mobile service around my house in Kinross/Kincheloe (Zip Code 49788).  I am roaming 95% of the time on the AT&T towers and service it is really bad for both Data and when sending and receiving text messages.  Half the time, I am receiving text messages with a 30-45 minute delay while at home and usually unable to send. Only way to send a message is with my WiFi by data via Messenger or WhatsApp.   Now, the service it's ok/decent where we work in the Sault St. Marie area ( Zip Code 49783)..thank God... but I really wish the coverage was better in between.  Coverage seem to hit a pretty big hurdle right after the Mackinac bridge in the St. Ignace area (Zip code 49781).  Do you have any insight or able to find out within your engineer team if they are planning on building on this network?  Your map shows "Fair" coverage but it is really almost non-existing around where I live.  I am grateful that you are at least supporting my area, but I definitely feel it needs much much more improvement.  People are hurting around here for good cell service, and everyone is using services like Cricket, or Tracfone and such... I really believe that if you come to this area, you will achieve a very good costumer base.  I actually think my family is your only costumer up here .... I can't find anyone else using T-Mobile among my friends.  Please, I beg you, do not forget about the Upper Peninsula in Michigan, keep building, and build fast.... we need you.  thank you so much.  Other than that, let me just say, having said all this, I am very happy with your customer service... it has been amazing.  Every time I need something, you guys are always on point and fast.  Thank you in advance. tmo_chrisNetwork & coverage

• landonloco

Well they will improve but as times goes you see t mobile doesn't have a lot of money to build towers as fast as Verizon or AT&T right now their focus is expand the coverage as much as possible so that they can say that they reached Verizon in coverage of course it wouldn't be a signal as strong as Verizon since Verizon is densifing heavily while t mobile it's more expanding coverage than densifing trough in urban areas they are quite densified compared to AT&T still in a lot of rural areas they have really few towers and that's why you see a lot of fair coverage since t mobile just adds a tower and extends the signal as far as possible so things as simple as going inside a building could make your phone go no service

• tmo_chris

Thanks for your post victor_fox. I was just looking at that 49788 zip and the coverage is pretty sparse and there are still some roaming blotches. I am glad to hear that your coverage at work is okay but I know how important it is to have coverage at your home where you spend a majority of your time. What kind of phones do you all have and do you have a high-speed Wi-Fi connection in your home?

• victor_fox

Our phones are: Moto G6, Moto G5, Honor 7x, Nexus 6, and iPhone7.  Yes sir, we have high-speed Wi-Fi at home.

• victor_fox

tmo_chrisNetwork & coverage I think I will do that, thanks! I will be calling them next week.