prepaid wifi calling no longer works

magenta3349354

I have a prepaid account and had been using wifi calling for years.   A few months ago, it stopped working.   I use wifi at home because of the weak mobile signal at my house.   Have meant to go to the local store to inquire but ended up on this forum after searching and seeing something has changed with other types of phones as well (recent discussions on I-Phones for example with wifi calling breaking)

I have an older Android phone and thought it might be related to that.   When I turn on wifi calling, I now get a popup saying "Not Registered".  You are currently not registered with the T-Mobile network.  Would you like to register to enable Wi-Fi Caling?"   I hit register and see things saying "Enabling..."   Please wait while connecting to T-Mobile Network.   It then fails with a message "W006.15 ISP or T-Mobile Network Error."   Not sure what this not registered thing is, I'm able to make mobile calls just fine.

Nothing has changed in my home network or on the phone.  This just started happening a few months ago.  Note this is a T-Mobile branded phone and NOT unlocked.

Interesting thing is that over Thanksgiving, I was on my mom's network (same scenario happened before and that also never used to happen).   My sister's boyfriend recently upgraded his t-mobile account  and has a prepaid SIM and a postpaid SIM card as he got a new phone number for the new service.   With the postpaid "unlimited" SIM in his phone, he enabled Wifi calling and everything was fine and he was able to make wifi calls.  He then turned off the phone, put the prepaid SIM in the EXACT SAME PHONE, tried enabling Wifi Caling and got an error "ER: ER05 "invalid SIM"".   His prepaid account is still in good standing and was immediately able to make a mobile phone call.   His is also an android t-mobile branded phone with a later android version than mine.

So it apparently is NOT just me.  His prepaid account won't let him make WIFI calls nor will my prepaid account either.  But he can make it on the exact same phone if it's not a prepaid sim card in it.

What's up with this T-Mobile???

All replies

• tmo_chris

Re: prepaid wifi calling no longer works

Wi-Fi calling is definitely still available to pay in advance accounts. With these specific errors you are getting, we are going to need to take a closer look at the account to make sure everything is provisioned correctly and possible open up a service ticket if the issues persist. Please contact us when you have a moment so we can get the ball rolling on this.

• beej

T-Mobile shut down its UMA (proprietary Wi-Fi) calling in March of this year.  Is your phone on this list?  I had an older Nokia Astound that was impacted too.

UMA Wi-Fi calling shutdown

• tmo_amanda

Hey, magenta3349354!

I just wanted to swing by to see if the WiFi calling is still not working. I think beej is onto something as far as WiFi calling not being available on specific phones anymore. Have you had the chance to Contact Us yet as Chris recommended?

• magenta3349354

My phone is on the list but I was NEVER contacted by text, email, voice mail, or other.  My t-mobile profile clearly lists my phone as the one I'm using.

On the other hand, my sister's boyfriends phone is NOT on the list so that's a different problem and as I noted, wifi calling works with that phone only with his non prepaid SIM.

I will call support but short of them giving me a new phone, not sure what they'll do.   I don't really buy the thing about the effort to support this.  Not like they've made a new phone image for this phone in years so the manufacturer isn't doing any effort.   It's t-mobile that simply dropped current code that did work with these phones.

On Friday, December 1, 2017, 7:03:52 PM EST, tmo_amanda <no-reply@t-mobile.com> wrote: 

|

T-Mobile Support

|

prepaid wifi calling no longer works

reply from tmo_amanda in Account & services - View the full discussion

Hey, magenta3349354!

I just wanted to swing by to see if the WiFi calling is still not working. I think beej is onto something as far as WiFi calling not being available on specific phones anymore. Have you had the chance to Contact Us yet as Chris recommended?

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on T-Mobile Support

Start a new discussion in Account & services by email or at T-Mobile Support

Following prepaid wifi calling no longer works in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by T-Mobile Support because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from T-Mobile Support, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• magenta3349354

His phone is an Alcatel Evolve.   Not on the list and is weird problem because wifi calling DOES work with a regular sim but not with his prepaid SIM.

My phone as I noted IS on list so am guessing t-mobile dropping support is the problem even though wifi calling worked fine with it for years and even worked long after the supposed date in the "drop support article".      Had even expected to see an alert in the "My Account" but nothing there either.  Will people at a phone store be able to deal with what can be done better or will they be in the dark about it?   Any specific reference to support should I make as to what can be done and reference--given I have no confidence they'll do anything except say sorry.