Bars but no data in Pittsburgh

ericwells

is there something going on with T-Mobile towers in downtown Pittsburgh today? Waiting for my bus on Liberty and 6th (I can even see the T-Mobile store a block away). I can’t get iTunes or I Heart Radio to work. I had 1 to 2 bars. Tried running a speed test with nPerf and it kept failing to connect. After a few tries it started to download at a rate less than .3 mbps for A couple of seconds but then failed. other days the connection is slow on Liberty but music will still load.

All replies

• ericwells

Re: Bars but no data in Pittsburgh

Today now I’m having issues at the office. It’s near the corner of Liberty and 6th. Never had great coverage in the building but today calls continue to drop. Normally the data is slow, but calls would still connect. Not sure why the sudden problems. It’s very frustrating

• ericwells

Another update... after some advice I found elsewhere on the internets, I disabled LTE on my phone while at work. Now I’m connected via 4G with three bars, rather than LTE with one bar. So far calls have not been dropping, and when I run a speed test, I’m getting a little over 1 mbps up and down, rather than 0.1 or less mbps. This is definitely not ideal, but I guess for now if I expect to use T-Mobile service in this area of down Pittsburgh, this is what I have to do.

• ericwells

Disabling LTE was ok for a couple of hours. I had a 4G connection... but suddenly it switched to E and I couldn’t get any data signal. I’m back to LTE now with an abysmal download rate of 0.02 mbps, when the speed test actually works. This sucks having a cell service at won’t work

• tmo_amanda

Hey, ericwells!

I'm sorry it has taken us a few days to get back to you about coverage near your office in Pittsburgh. While I'm glad there was a slight improvement by disabling LTE, that still doesn't solve the problem. I checked out the area and I see the tower that services your office (near 6th and Liberty) and it's currently being upgraded. The projected completion date is the end of the year. I know that means another month without a reliable signal but it'll be worth the wait once the upgrade is completed. In the meantime, the only suggestion we can make is to utilize WiFi calling where available.

• magenta2418637

I agree, when I switched in August downtown was getting good coverage.  Now from December until now, it's pretty bad.  It will show three LTE bars, but nothing can connect.  Is this upgrade still going to happen? I'm in the Grant and Third Ave area.

• dragon1562

Hey I'm a fellow Pittsburgh-er and its rare to see others on the forum. I wanted to ask if things have improved since when I was last home things were still pretty solid and fast with speeds between 15-80mb respectively. I also just wanted to ask what device you were using since Pittsburgh has seen a lot of improvements in the past 3 years.

• magenta2418637

Coverage so far in and around Pittsburgh is great...better than Verizon. My

only thing is now downtown just blinks out, usually in the weekday

afternoons. Overloaded network? Bad weather in the winter? A lot of people

have switched in recent years. I have a iPhone 7 Plus. I live two miles

away from downtown in a hill...Verizon barely had voice coverage and

tmobile has speeds around 20/20 on average. Wouldn’t go back. Just

irritated about the downtown situation.