REVVL Plus

tek

Anybody have a REVVL Plus? Surprised to not see any discussions about it. I purchased one the day after launch and the phone is amazing. I highly recommend it.

Anybody else get one?

All replies

• snn555

Re: REVVL Plus

Given it is a carrier branded phone most stayed away from it due to lack of ongoing updates and low tier specs. A proper LG Stylo 3 Plus with support and many more features can be had for $200.

• magenta3469579

I received it the same day it came out and I am sooooo frustrated with this phone. It is so slow and it keeps freezing, it freezes when I try to text, it freezes when I search the internet. My camera at times says it needs to close unexpectedly as well as other applications. I thought maybe its just my phone but NO my daughters got the same phone and they are also complaining about the same issues. AND Now for the past couple of days I keep hearing this weird staticy noise, like glitches, I thought I was going crazy, but they are coming form my phone. So now I am terrified this thing is going to explode or catch fire or something. HELP!!!!

• tristanheathe

I also have the REVVL+ and can't be more dissatisfied, disgruntled, disappointed, frustrated, aggravated, dumbfounded and regret the day I purchased it especially with no insurance.  I feel as though I have seriously DOWNGRADED from my Nexus 6, which is several years old now but even with bugs and all (worst cases) still outperforms this piece of junk.  I'm poor and although I had a great run with my N6 I'm having to come to terms with the fact that I'm going to have to deal with paying this thing out and use a crap phone with not near enough memory as it needs and be sad, mad, stressed, anxious and pissed for the remainder.  Starting to wish I'd stayed at Verizon a couple of years ago... Went over a decade with great phones and great service!

This"economy" phone manufactured by TMobile is an insult and slap in customers' faces.

• snn555

You had 14 days to return it or do research on other more capable devices at or near the same cost.

• darkblue006

14 days to return it turned into I don't want to spend 50 to take it back and get a few features I can do without. I mean if I can get this damn thing to play custom ringtones I'll be a bit happier.

• magenta3131926

Hey darkblue...........   I agree 50 to take it back, when it is so woefully inadequate is unthinkable.  And speaking of unthinkable, "features you can do without".  Like for example, the proximity sensor does not engage when using visual voicemail.  It is always entertaining when you put the phone to your ear for a visual voicemail message and it calls them back because your ear touched the screen.  Or even better, the shade pulls down and engages quiet hours. Or even better, the shade goes down and the flashlight is on.  What a great device (sarcasm), I have never seen a phone that did not have the proximity sensor turn on for visual voicemail.  I guess I have to live without that.

• magenta4073467

REVVL + PLUS by Coolpad is $75 to return within 14 Days. The Revvl by Alcatel was lower.

• magenta3131926

Yeah, that is not tremendously helpful when the device seems to get progressively worse over time.  The replacement I got worked reasonably well for about 12 days or so and in the past two days has gotten progressively worse.  It is now running  just like the other.  This is definitely software problem that coolpad totally screwed up.  What a pity.  When you look at the hundreds of highly negative comments on t-mobile's website for the revvl plus, you can see that there are hundreds of very upset and angry customers all who have the same problem.  This phone needs to be recalled. 

• dragon1562

Have you tried booting the device into safe mode to see if performance is better. If it is then you have apps that are causing the slow down on this hardware limited device.

• moditpc

I had the phone for 3 weeks and i hate it. I didn't know about the 14 day return. It is the slowest phone i have ever had. I know its inexpensive but ive had cheaper phomes that where much faster like the zte blade pro etc. This phome is so sluggish. It take littery 2 to 3 seconds for each letter when i type a text message. Sometimes i cant even answer a call because the ui is so slow toalide down to answer. I hate that i have to keep paying for this garbage phone. Tmobile needs to do a recall on this Tmobile revvl plus. There are other phones with the same specs and run normal. What gives. Dont evem try to change the launcher or add apps because it just gets worse.

• landonloco

Well it was made by coolpad which isn't a very trust worthy manufacturer probably why even with similar specs it sucks compared  than other phone I suggest contacting coolpad to see if they can help or wait for a software update trough looking how some people like it I say that the phone just wasn't built right

• magenta3131926

I would not recommend this revvl plus to my worst enemy.  Answering this phone is almost impossible.  This phone lags like an Android running the donut build from 2009. It will ring and when you pick it up it goes straight to voicemail. Or it won't ring, despite having good signal and go to voicemail. Or better yet, it will ring and the screen will be black with no way to answer and then the screen will finally light up when it stops ringing and the call went to voicemail. But my favorite (sarcasm) is when you go to answer and it displays in small letters across the top the callers name as if it was a text with no way to answer and you have to unlock the phone, pull the shade down and touch the tiny phone icon. What IDIOT approved this device for release? I have never hated an inanimate object before, but I HATE this revvl plus.  Between apps crashing all the time, not being able to answer it, the intolerable lag, and bottlenecks because the memory is inadequate,this device is unusable and should never have made it through quality control to be sold. Shame on t-mobile for selling this device, shame on them for putting their name on it. Shame that I wasted my hard earned money on a phone that doesn't work as advertised. And before anyone suggests factory resetting, I have already played that game multiple times, I have removed the sd card and run it without the card to rule that out, I have run it without loading any apps to ensure it was not a rogue app. This is not an isolated experience I have, the comments on the phones page at t-mo.com are similar. It is unfortunately that t-mobile sold me a phone that cannot be used as advertised with their name on it. I have switched back to my Windows phone because at least that works and I can actually answer the phone. Honestly. If there was a way that I could sue to recover the money I spent on this I would do so.

• landonloco

How much have you been with the phone you might try and change it if you area within the buyer reimburse which I doubt  you can also see if you can do warranty exchange maybe they could give you other similar phone

• magenta4073467

I have 2. I considered the Stylo 3, but wanted a larger 6" screen. I tried 2 Stylo 1 phones a few years ago and the GPS radios were so weak, my GPS navigation would go in circles, so I've used an older ZTE android 4.4, for the past few years. I have noticed that the REVVL PLUS camera can take a while to launch or freeze completely, as other users have reported. I am happy so far learning the features of Android 7 after using 4.4 for so long. External SD card use has changed a lot and requires much research to determine the best format for your needs. Best study it fully before using a lot and loading lots of media, as you may not be able to access or see it as you wish. So far I can't find drivers that allow my Windows 10 computer to see data on the SD card. Doesn't matter if the card is formatted as Internal (ext4 or f2fs) or Portable (Fat32, exFAT).

The phone is larger and lighter than my GF's iPhone X, plus I've got lots of money left over to buy her things.

• magenta3131926

If you allowed the phone to format the SD card as Internal storage, it is very difficult to get the data off.  The  Android OS  formats the card in a linux ext4 format and then encrypts it.  The encryption key is stored on the phone.  You can eject the card, and take it out, but then if any apps are stored on it they will be missing or not work.  Once the SD card is formatted internal as a general rule, even if you load it on a linux machine, it will not see the data.  I ran across the following information on an Ubuntu website and saved it.  I will copy and paste it here for you.  I cannot say if it works, but the author stated it did.  Good luck!  I hope this is of use for you!

Remove the  corrupted SD card from the phone and plug it into a Linux machine. After finding what device was representing it (commonly /dev/mmcblk*), use dd to extract its contents:

$ sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=/tmp/sdcard.dump bs=4M 

sdcard.dump will be absolutely useless as it is encrypted and you don't have the encryption key, but it doesn't matter. Eject that SD card and insert the new, probe the SD card device (say /dev/mmcblk1) then run:

$ sudo dd if=/tmp/sdcard.dump of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=4M $ sync; sync 

Eject the new SD card and plug it in your phone. In my case the phone was tricked into using that new card as its existing storage, thus mounting it and allowing me to gain access to its contents.

If you get errors while reading the corrupted SD card, try using ddrescue instead of dd when creating the initial image. Chances are that despite the errors you will still get access to a large portion of the data on the card.

• tek

Few updates on the REVVL Plus. An OS update was released that corrected most of the lag. In addition, install Google Now Launcher to replace the stock launcher. Second install Android Messages to replace stock message app.

If you reboot once a week then you will be fine. Very limited lag if at all now.

• magenta3131926

When was that OS update pushed? The last one I received was in late January and it fixed nothing of significance. Answering the phone remained difficult to impossible. The caller would hear lots of rings while I might get one if I was lucky. Many times the dialer would not load and I would get a black screen while the phone was ringing. This was with my original device as well as the replacement. I am happy that it improved for

you but that was not my experience. And if the comments on the tmo website are any indication,it was not the experience of more than 400 others there as well.

As for replacing the launcher, I tried Nova, Evey, Microsoft Launcher, Smart Launcher, Action Launcher, Apex, ADW, and none made any perceivable difference.

Just out of curiosity,what do you have running on the device; e.g. facebook, twitter, email, fitbit, etc. My experience was that if anything was running at all, one more thing would crash the phone. So if the phone was updating the play store and a call came in,you could not answer the phone. If you were using maps and anything else tries to run, the device will crash. For me the lag remained and not being able to answer the phone was a severe problem.

I am using amoto e4 plus that I just bought on sale at best buy for 75 less that this device cost. It has a snapdragon 400 series processor rather than the 600 series that the revvl plus has. It also has 2GB ram.  The Android os takes about 500mb of internal memory while running, unlike the revvl plus that often had android os using 1gb to 1.2 gb. The moto e4 plus is buttery smooth, fast, no lag, despite having a lesser processor. The  revvl plus is unoptimized, marred by a horrid implementation by coolpad.

• tek

I have never had an issue answering phone calls. Also, I run tons of apps.

Have you tried specifically Google Now Launcher?

• magenta3131926

Answering phone calls was the biggest problem I had with my original revvl plus and the replacement. It was beyond frustrating to have a ringing phone with a black screen and no dialer on it.You could try to hit power and then unlock the device and hope you got to the call before it got to voice mail. That behavior was consistent on both the original device I had and the replacement and the software update did not correct it.

I never tried the google now launcher because I personally don't like it. I usually use the Microsoft Launcher, followed by Action Launcher. But I tried lots of others including old standby ADW, and none seemed to make any difference. I even tried a 3rd party dialer to see if that mattered.

Based on our experiences,it almost seems like we have two completely different devices. Or there was a very bad batch made. Hard to say, but my experience with this phone was maddening. I have had a lot of smart phones, going back to the tmo G1, and have never had a worse or more frustrating experience than I had with the revvl plus.

• magenta4556977

Has anyone found the fastboot drivers for this phone? Adb works fine but the fastboot drivers don't automatically load.

• magenta4631534

I have only had this phone for 2 weeks and I have the same issue it freezes and I constantly have to reboot it.

It's so frustrating since I have had 2 other phones that I have had to send back because of issues.

I love TMobile Service and reps but I have never had so many issues with phones. I'm exhausted with it

• timebandit4169

I got a revvl plus through the jump on demand program, and I am impressed with its performance. I am not impressed with the T-Mobile apps because they have too many bugs, however, I uninstalled those Via ADB interface. With it's 2 gigahertz octa-core processor, and it's 32 gig Rom, its a great phone considering that it's a branded phone.