I purchased a phone with the understanding I could jump to upgrade

edwinmonzon

I have been a T-mobile customer for about 4 years now and in that time I have upgraded devices a lot of times. A little over a year ago I was looking at the iPhone 7 plus and was shortly convinced to upgrade to the phone. I did not see a huge difference between that phone and the phone I had at the time (iPhone 6) so I expressed an interest in keeping the device that I had already paid off instead of upgrading at the time. I told the sales person that I didn't mind waiting for the new iPhone 8 to come out for me to get (possibly) better features. The sales person said that I could do an upgrade now and be on a jump insurance plan, and that would allow me to upgrade to a new phone when the new iPhone is out. I went ahead and agreed to that. It's a little over a year later, and I am looking to upgrade to the iPhone X so I call 611 and ask what my options are and what would the cost be. To my surprise they informed me that I was not on a jump plan, but a premium protection plan. The cost of the premium protection plan is the same, and the insurance benefits are the same, the difference being I can't upgrade to a new phone until this device is paid off. I explained to the associate that this was upsetting to me because this wasn't was I was told I was paying for. I wanted the ability to upgrade my phone when this one was more than half paid off. I escalated the matter and was transferred to a loyalty member. He explained to me that there was nothing he could do for me, that the associate did not get me on the insurance plan that he promised. I asked if there was anything he could do to get me on a jump plan, he said there was no other option except for head over to the T-mobile website@@@ and express my concern with corporate. I got off the phone with the associate with the intention of doing just that, there is no option for corporate on the T-mobile website. So here I am, in a community forum. I'm annoyed that I can't upgrade my iPhone and give this company two more years of my business. I'm pissed that the associate who talked me into upgrading screwed me over with a seemingly useless insurance plan. Apparently this is a last resort for me, wish me luck

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Ouch, edwinmonzon, this is a huge bummer to read. If we dropped the ball and added the wrong protection plan -- regular PDP instead of JUMP! -- to your account, then that's a huge mistake, and catching it now one year later is a giant let-down. It sounds like you've gone through exhaustive effort to try to reach out and get this resolved. I'm sorry to say that I don't see any exceptions or escalation processes for switching protection plans beyond the 14 day period after an upgrade is completed. I truly wish I had better news to offer here.

It sounds like your iPhone is 50% paid off; and I know those devices retain value pretty well -- would it be an option to pay that device off and unlock it, then resell it on your own to recoup the cost? That way you could get the iPhone X and switch to JUMP! at the time of your upgrade so you'd be on the correct plan going forward? I know this is a crazy suggestion, and not the answer you were hoping for, but I would rather offer *any* solution I can think of. I also apologize wholeheartedly that you were directed to our user forum when seeking additional review of your account -- that's not the right way to do things. We are here to help our customers out when they're answering questions for each other and come up against things that might require a little extra technical or policy expertise, but our team here doesn't have a secure method to verify accounts, and as such, when it comes to account specific issues, we're at a loss.

That said, our T-Force team on Twitter or Facebook do have a way to look at your account and see if there's anything additional that can be offered to make this right -- if you're still game for reaching out, I'd strongly recommend connecting with them through DM on Twitter or private message on Facebook. Maybe we can work something out with you that will help get past this point so that we can correct the issue going forward. We've heard great feedback from users who've worked with them in the past, even in unusual circumstances or situations. I also think that if the last one of us you spoke with referred you out to our website instead of passing your request up to management, that's feedback that we'd want reported directly to that team so that we can make sure it doesn't happen again. If you have the opportunity to reach out to them, please let us know how it goes!

Thank you again for taking the time to join the community and provide your feedback here -- while I wish this experience had been totally different, we appreciate knowing how it went.

- Marissa