Can't keep S8+ "locked" while in pocket

smokindog

This is not my first android phone.  It IS the most problematic for doing "random things" while carried in my pocket.

Today was VERY problematic in that the MyQ app was triggered and my garages doors were going up and down all day.  We arrived home with all the doors open.  I have the "Keep screen turned off" when in a dark place but it obviously doesn't work.

This is a VERY serious issue.

It looks like some have complained on the Samsung forum as well.

S8+ unlocks in my pocket... - Page 8 - Samsung Community - 93792

Let's sjip the first couple questions of settings and software versions.

Screenshot_20171121-162626[1].pngScreenshot_20171121-161836[1].png

All replies

• snn555

Re: Can't keep S8+ "locked" while in pocket

Do you have Smart Lock on that phone?  That can keep it from locking while on-body detection is active.

• smokindog

What is Smart Lock?

• smokindog

OK,  found smart lock, and it was on for motion, car blue tooth, "hello google".....  Must be the defaults.

That said, why doesn't keep screen off while in dark still prevent the "ghost activity".  In reviewing the smart lock features, it seems likely that at least one of them will be true in the normal course of use.  Seems like a useful feature and a shame to have to disable it because the device can't keep the screen off to prevent unintentional "ghost activity".

As I said, lots of complaints in the Samsung forum linked above.  I'm getting more and more un-impressed with this phone daily.  I'm hoping we get Android 8 real soon and the problems get resolved.

• snn555

I can't speak to your particular situation however I have had display problems with brightness and screen on and off time on other phones when I brought over a backup of another phone in advertently to the new phone. Case in point I brought over the profile that was saved to my Google account from another phone when I setup my new phone and the brightness was always wrong and the display had unexpected activity coming on staying on not coming on not turning off. It could even possibly be an app that is causing an issue.

• smokindog

I built the phone up from scratch when I bought it.  Don't trust the bulk migration tools here or with Windows or elsewhere.  Again, LOTS of similar complaints in other forums.  I know there a a lot of ways other apps can cause issues but it's getting to be the default thing in almost every support arena, THE OTHER APP DID IT.  Microsoft really soiled the garden for support over the years.

It seems like there is a legitimate stream of reported issues that seem to relate to Smart lock features (BT activity, motion, ...) and the Keep screen off when dark features that needs to be researched and addressed.  Let's find some thread of proof that it's a 3rd party app, if it is......

• smokindog

Brand new, installed apps from the store, imported contacts from vCards. started with no SMS conversations, no pictures, .........

From scratch.

Have you reviewed the Samsung thread I included in the original post????  It also links to a Android forum about the issue.

• snn555

Which post?  They are all similar.  I haven't seen any post like this on tmo community yet.

• smokindog

Are you a support person?  Did you read the initial post?  That's where the link and related information is.

Are you T-Mobile support?????

• tmo_marissa

Hey, smokindog! Thanks for posting.
                              I wanted to step in and make it clear that snn555 is a highly active, super knowledgeable member of our Support Community, who we refer to as a Pillar. He doesn't work for T-Mobile, but he is doing his best to help suggest options and ask questions that might help get to the root of an issue.

To be honest, beyond the Smart Lock previously mentioned (and which it sounds like you're looking into as a potential resolution, albeit you're right, not as ideal as having the "keep screen turned off " functionality work as intended), I am at a loss as to how to prevent your device from doing these things other than to turn it off completely -- not good news, I know.

I scanned the thread you linked to and it looks like you're not the only person having trouble with a sensitive device, despite doing your best efforts to set it up to prevent pocket-dialing/activating/etc. From what I can tell, that's a good thing! Ultimately an update for this issue would come from Samsung, so I'm glad they're aware!

On our part, we don't have any known issues listed for these settings at this point, but I'm happy to pass along your feedback to our contact who works with Samsung content. If we hear anything back I'll let you know ASAP!

Thanks!

- Marissa

• smokindog

Please do pass it on, the more reports the better and reports from you mean a lot more.  I fear that we won't see much more development on 7 now that 8 is in beta.  Do you know the T-Mobile timetable for 8?  Can I get on the beta program somehow?

THX.....

• tmo_marissa

Ah, I wish we had a timetable for 8! I do know that we're working on getting our Software updates page ready for Oreo; and you'll be able to check the status of updates there as they start rolling! Regarding betas, those are completed by either the OS or the manufacturer -- but for this one, I'm not I'm not sure if you'd need to go to Samsung or Android! Do you know anyone who's participating? I might have missed something but when I tried to do a little search online for info on a Samsung Oreo beta I wasn't able to find anything about signing up, only a thread on Samsung forums about reverting!

• snn555

I'd love to see you updates on updates that are current for non Flagship modelz personally. It seems as if every software page for every device T-Mobile cells is outdated sometimes two and three versions behind. This goes along with my other post about website issues and it needing an upgrade and redesign so that people can join T-Mobile and Shop and other things without it taking an hour to load.

• smokindog

Funny, the Samsung site says that T-Mobile has Oreo Beta program assignments that T-Mobile can make.  I believe only Sprint and T-Mobile are part of the Beta.program

• tmo_marissa

Hmmm -- I wonder if that's an internal program? Do you mind sharing the link where you saw that info? I'd be happy to forward it and see if we can find anything out!

• smokindog

OREO Beta! - Samsung Community - 205677

There are others but this seemed the most generic!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                                      • tmo_marissa

Ooooh, cool! That's a great find, thank you!

It does offer some instructions there for how to participate -- were you able to follow the steps?

• How can I participate in Galaxy Beta Program?
                                                          • Please download the Samsung+ application from Galaxy Apps or Play Store.
                                                          • After installation, launch the "Samsung Plus" app, submit the "Galaxy Beta Program" application form through the "Registration" menu on the top of the app. If you have a Samsung Account and meet all participation criteria, whole registration process will be completed.
                                                          • Compatible Devices: Galaxy S8 / Galaxy S8+ (Sprint, T-Mobile, Unlocked) Note: If you do not have a Samsung Account, you can create a new Samsung Account on www.samsung.com.

• After finishing Galaxy Beta Program registration process, click Software Update menu (Setting > Software update > download updates) manually, you can download and install beta software. Software update will be expanded gradually, which can cause that some user's update can be delayed.
                                      • tmo_marissa

Hey there! So I heard back about the Oreo beta -- it looks like the only enrollment option that we are aware of is through Samsung. :/ Here's the information we have:

Android 8.0 Oreo beta

Samsung offered a limited number of T-Mobile customers using a Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ the option to opt-in and join a Galaxy Beta Program to experience Android 8.0 Oreo on their device before it is in-market. Participants in the trial will receive the update from an application download from the Galaxy Apps Store when they search for 'Galaxy Beta Program'.

• The Galaxy Beta Program will be available from November 2 - January 9 to T-Mobile, Sprint, or Verizon customers.
                                        • The device will need to be on Baseband version G950USQU1AQJ8 to be able to update to the newest version (Android Oreo version).
                                        • Customers participating in the beta program provide feedback directly to Samsung to improve the software experience for other users.
                                        • Number of applicants will be limited to the first 5,000.
                                        • The beta program requires participants to have a Samsung account for registration and to submit error reports or suggestions through the app.
                                        • Contact Samsung with any Beta software installation, registration, or any other related questions at galaxybeta@samsung.com or 1-800-726-7864 (24 hours / 7 days).

We weren't able to pinpoint any process where we could add users on this side -- it looks like all adds were done through Samsung. I'm not sure how you'd reached out initially, but it might be worth trying the email listed there just to make sure that they've reached the applicant limit!

Regarding the screen issue; I don't have any new info to report, just that we're not aware of a known issue at this point but will keep an eye out!

Thanks again for posting, and thanks for your patience!