What does the cell spot router do...?

rhimbo

Hi all,

Could someone point me to documentation that actually says what the heck the cell spot router does?  Or, if you know, feel free to enlighten me.  My understanding is that the cell spot router provides a stronger signal and "connection" for those T-Mobile users who have bad cellular connectivity.  My questions about the cell spot router center on how it connects to the larger telephony networks.

1. Does the cell spot router connect to the T-Mobile network (and the rest of the telephony networks) via the actual T-Mobile cellular network? 

2. Does the cell spot router connect to the telephone network (T-Mobile and networks beyond) via Internet (either VoIP or other telephony protocol using my Internet service)?

3. Does the cell spot router also work as a regular WiFi and wired router for the home? 

Thanks in advance...

All replies

• snn555

Re: What does the cell spot router do...?

1 no

2 yes

3 yes

• rhimbo

Thanks for the quick reply, snn555.  A  few additional questions....

1. A T-Mobile customer service representative told me that the phone somehow "magically" switches a call from cellular to WiFi when the signal is too weak to prevent dropping a call.  Is this true?  OR, must one just set the phone to WiFi calling when in the area where one gets spurious connectivity?

2. If the "magical" switching occurs, do I need some additional software on my phone? 

3. I imagine the Asus cell spot router has some custom software to support the T-Mobile functionality.  Can I still configure the Asus TM-AC1900 router to operate in Access Point mode?  I want to do this so that I can place the cell spot router in the center of my property.  Currently I have a Synology router in that spot configured in Access Point mode.  It connects via Cat6 Ethernet to the main router in the garage which is where my distribution center is. 

Thanks again....

• snn555

1. No

Wi-Fi will hand off to cellular. Not vice versa.

2. No

Tmobile phones come with Wi-Fi calling.

3. No

The cellspot router is the main router. Your other one can be AP.

Wi-Fi CellSpot Router

• drnewcomb2

The whole raison d'être for the CellSpot router (TM-AC1900) is that many customers were experiencing poor results with WiFi calling, as a direct result of using very cheap WiFi routers at home. Rather than telling the customers to go out and buy a decent router, T-Mobile picked a good router, modified the firmware to be optimized for WiFi calling and loaned them to the customers who requested them or who complained about WiFi calling. Essentially, it's just a decent WiFi router with T-Mobile's custom firmware.

• rhimbo

Thank you,  drnewcomb2.  This gives me the information I needed.

Well, I'll return the cell spot router to T-Mobile.  I can use my existing WiFi routers for WiFi calling if I need it.  Really there is only one remote corner of my home where the cell signal is weak.  

I think those customers with bad WiFi experience probably suffered from bad Internet service more than lousy WiFi routers.  I've successfully used WiFi calling with old 802.11g routers.  But there is no getting around bad Internet service!! 

Many thanks again for your help....

• snn555

Glad I could answer and clarify all your questions.

• rhimbo

Yes, you did, snn555....

However, T-Mobile needs to get its act together.  I asked the same questions of their tech support and it was obvious no one knew what I was talking about. The same is true of two T-Mobile store fronts where I went hoping to get an answer to "why was this product made; what is its purpose; why would I need it?"  Their answers sounded so "off" that I went on a quest for a community forum. 

The T-Mobile web site is in need of serious rework.  It took me 3 days to get here despite already having an account.  Hmm.

I hope someone from T-Mobile is listening.  I've been -- nay, 3 family members have been -- T-Mobile customers for 13 years now continuously. If they don't listen to their best customers, well, that would be disturbing to say the least.  

• magenta4397787

drnewcomb2

afak, (as per the specifications published) the device is NOT a Wifi router, and has nothing to do with wifi-calling.

It is a mini-cellular-mobile tower that accepts cellular communication (LTE, UMTS..) from your phone, and talks over internet to Tmobile servers. This is more similar to what the big cellular mobile towers do.

• codefiant

T-mobile has several "cellspots". The one being discussed is actually just a rebranded / software modified ASUS AC1900 router (product number RT-AC68U). Trust me, I have this one. T-mobile also has LTE enabled routers - those are different and are called "4G LTE Cellspots".

• faceisee

i have a question, i have the 4g lte cellspot and i connected it to my internet, when i connect my tablet to my wifi it says its offline. is it the cellspot eating up my signal? am not sure how cellspot  works, but how can i use my wifi at home to watch nextflix from my tv or tablet and still have the 4g connected, without using hotspot from my phone to hotspot the tablet or tv, actually using my wifi prior to connectong the cellspot. Also i have to say i have a survelliance system that uses my home wifi, but its no longer working after i connected the 4g cellspot, can i just disconnect the cellspot cablet from the wifi ethernet port when i want to use the internet at home, or would that cause a problem, i ask because i kinda tried to, for a little bit, but *i was still offline when connected my wifi and my phone lagged when loading a page on its regular mobile data, got scared that ive messed it up, so i plugged the ethernet cable from 4g cellspot back into the wifi modem. Any help would be appreciated in the most basic way possible am not too much tech savvy.

Thanks