Prepaid Support Won't Unlock an "Unlocked" iPhone

alankchan

Ugh, I had the worst time with Prepaid technical support. It was almost half a year of back and forth with prepaid technical support and a long, long list of case numbers. No one could help me with my eBay purchased "unlocked" phone because I had ported out my iPhone to another carrier already rather than before. Once your account is ported, it is impossible to unlock your phone without paying for new service, like you were a new customer. Lame!!!

Be careful with T-Mobile if you have an unlocked phone. Even if you didn't buy the phone from them, once you put a T-Mobile sim in your phone for any reason, T-Mobile will lock your phone to their network and you will have to pay them money to unlock it.

Eventually, I was able to get support through social media but T-Mobile's technical support department just keeps saying they're going to escalate it and even when you talk to a supervisor, they're not able to help you. T-Mobile's technical support department is pretty much a lame duck. They have zero power to unlock a phone without paying more money.

All replies

• tidbits

alankchan wrote:

Ugh, I had the worst time with Prepaid technical support. It was almost half a year of back and forth with prepaid technical support and a long, long list of case numbers. No one could help me with my eBay purchased "unlocked" phone because I had ported out my iPhone to another carrier already rather than before. Once your account is ported, it is impossible to unlock your phone without paying for new service, like you were a new customer. Lame!!!

Be careful with T-Mobile if you have an unlocked phone. Even if you didn't buy the phone from them, once you put a T-Mobile sim in your phone for any reason, T-Mobile will lock your phone to their network and you will have to pay them money to unlock it.

Eventually, I was able to get support through social media but T-Mobile's technical support department just keeps saying they're going to escalate it and even when you talk to a supervisor, they're not able to help you. T-Mobile's technical support department is pretty much a lame duck. They have zero power to unlock a phone without paying more money.

The person who sold you the phone lied to you.  Has nothing to do with T-Mobile. If the phone was sold as unlocked and it is not then eBay should be able to get your money back.  It may be you got suckered into buy a Reseller Flex policy phone which has NOTHING to do with T-Mobile and everything to do with Apple.  This has been beaten with a dead horse since the iPhone 6 and people are starting to learn about this policy.

• drnewcomb2

Sounds like another person's been bit in the rear by Apple's Reseller Flex Policy.  You might want to Google that.