Is there a link to where the T-Mo cell towers are located?

dc5fan

A couple of weeks ago I thought I found the link. Will this link also show the frequencies that is sent? I think there are at least 2 in my zip code. Also, are the frequencies the same throughout the US?

All replies

• snn555

What link?

• snn555

Open Signal Maps is better at tower mapping.....a little. LTE Discovery hasn't been updated in 6 months. Sprint towers are the easiest to spot here. They are the shortest towers with 3 units.

• snn555

Side note on an observation. You seem to be doing a lot of research into a network for which the tool (AT&T phone) you are using is not ideal for the network you are researching.

• dc5fan

Then why are my calls doing just as good as AT&T's? If I have to call Customer Care I use my landline. The call works much better.

• dc5fan

My research says different.

• snn555

In regards to...?

I suppose I'm not clear on what exactly you are doing.

I understand using an app to find towers and signal strength being stronger the closer one gets to a tower.

AFA frequencies go tmo uses the same across the country. LTE bands may differ based on the phones capabilities and which bands are active in each area.

For example my area uses 4 mainly. I have never seen 12 and never use 2....I may have outside my area and didn't know. Band 66 is available to my phone should it ever actually roll out here. Band 71 will be available shortly but my phone doesn't have 71 capability.

I have 3 towers around me but stay connected to the same one almost always because there is no call for my device to switch to another if the strength is similar and congestion is null.

I have used all manner of mapping apps and each one seems hokey at best with missing towers or lines going from me to nowhere to towers that seem the same in one app to having different owner operators in another. Some don't even show info.

Open Signal, coverage maps (root metrics) sensorly and cellmapper etc show very different coverage based on crowdsourcing than even the tmo coverage map shows.

I have been requesting data speed and signal testing for a much better coverage map via Tmo app for quite some time.

I figure an app that is already on all tmo Androids is the key to network coverage validation and much more direct than using 3rd party apps which vary vastly as to the info compiled and methods by which it is gathered.

Sorry if I missed the point of your posts.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • dc5fan

The T-Mo service works for me. I haven't had one dropped call for the 2 months I have had the account. So far since Oct 30 I still have 26 minutes that are still free until Nov 30. BTW, when you call 611 is there a "part-like atmosphere" in the background? I am not the only one that has brought this to the Community. That's why I tried using my home phone (VOIP), and the background noise is nil. I even mentioned that to a Customer Care rep. I have a feeling it may be the distance I am from the tower I amusing.

• snn555

I never called customer service I use online social media if available. However in the past it depends on which call center you have reached as to the noise in the background. I'm not sure if you meant park or part atmosphere however each call center is different some have more noise than others some Representatives use the mute button more often it could be a different headset for receiver or microphone. I will state that if you do not have v o l t e then you are not getting it high-definition calls on your phone which is a possibility if your phone does not have the capability to do so. That might be why your landline sounds more clear than your wireless call.

• dc5fan

I don't do the social media. I am in my mid-60's, and I tried it (Facebook). Same goes for Twitter. I got a Twitter account to try to win an ipod. WRONG! Shortly after I made an entry my wife came in screaming WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN HERE?! I didn't know I was supposed to set up a different email address just for Twitter. That baby was closed in 10 minutes! As far as the S5 is concerned I get the 4G LTE logo in the top right corner. I don't see the EDGE logo much anymore. It seems when a female takes my calls for Customer Care it sounds like the same one. But you can understand them. I don't think I have VoLTE in my S5. No problem.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, dc5fan! Our 4G LTE Coverage Map doesn't show the exact location of towers, but when you drill down to an address it will tell you if there's only one frequency in an area by letting you know that coerage in that location requires a compatible phone. Internally, we do have maps that offer a little more detail -- but generally as far as third party external sources go the ones recommended here (Open Signal, LTE Discovery, Sensorly and CellMapper) seem to be the ones preferred by our users. Were you able to find what you were looking for with that info? Is there something I can look up for you?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • dc5fan

I went to my eye doctor this morning. It is Champaign, IL. I checked the LTE Discovery and it was on Band 4. At home 10 miles N it is on Band2. In Band 4 all 4 bars looked like a Christmas tree. But with the LTE Discovery I don't know if it's 1700 or 1900. I did find something on line that in Champaign county, IL there is no 700, but 600. So since I just do calls I should be ok. I tried Open Signal, but I felt LTE was something I was more familiar. My S5 does have a Signal Strength reading with dBm and asu. I never knew anything about this when I was using AT&T. I am retired so I have a lot of time to learn these things. Thanks for your input.