BOGO Offer with Deaf and Hard-Of-Hearing Plan

magenta2513421

Hi,

I am deaf and posting this here hoping I can get some answers.

For 2 years I have had the deaf and hard-of-hearing plan that t-mobile offers of text and data only with calling blocked, since I'll never use it. I provided all the necessary documents at the time from my audiologist proving my profound hearing loss.

I am trying to redeem the BOGO offer by adding another line to have both a work and personal phone but was told I cannot because it is only available to customers with the T-Mobile ONE or select Simple Choice Unlimited with unlimited high-speed data plan.

Is there really no way for me to have equal access to this deal?

It is price discrimination off the basis of disability if I have to pay for plans that include calling when I can't call and illegal by a combination of consumer+disability law. I'm hoping this is just an oversight and there is a workaround.

Thanks for any help afforded.

Best,

Chris

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Hey, Chris, and welcome to our Support Community! Thanks for reaching out here!

I took a look and initially, from what I can see it looks like the limitation is based on the fact that DHH plans are single line plans and don't currently include unlimited high speed data. Since our BOGO promos usually require a family plan with unlimited high speed data on both lines, we wouldn't systematically be able to add the additional line required for eligibility so that we could put a second device on EIP and use the second phone on that new line.

I think that this is an awesome call-out, though - I am going to forward the concern up and see if I can find out if we have any suggested workarounds other than switching to a qualified family plan for the duration of the offer redemption period. Do you mind letting me know which particular BOGO you were interested in, and which DHH plan you currently have?

Thank you so much again for taking the time to post!

- Marissa

• magenta2513421

Hi Marissa,

Thanks for your response. Your analysis on why I cannot redeem the promotion is correct.

I appreciate you looking for a workaround. I am interested in the Samsung BOGO promotion and my current DHH plan consists of unlimited texting, unlimited data (2 gb high speed), and voice-calling blocked.

Best,

Chris

• tmo_marissa

Thank you for those details!

I've forwarded the question along to a member of our team who works directly with the promo content to see if there's any leeway here to route the system limitation. I'll keep you posted on what I hear back ASAP!

- Marissa

• tmo_marissa

I just wanted to check in here and let you know that this has been passed up to a member of our promo team and is being reviewed. Thanks for your patience, I hope to have some info for you soon!

- Marissa

• magenta2513421

Thanks Marissa,

I'll keep checking this thread for updates.

Best,

Chris

• nelfar212

Awesome!!! This is why I love T-Mobile. this is a scenario where I can see TMO bending for this very unique situation.  I have a question do you exceed your data limitations with the 2GB lte?  I ask I recently started using my video calling more, my daughter attends the Alabama School for the Death and Blind(ASDB) and my wife works there as well, I've started to learn "ASL", and the video calling is a big help but uses a fair amount of data. I have an unlimited let plan  

• magenta2513421

nelfar212

I'm still waiting to hear back about this so I am not sure if they will bend.

I usually exceed my 2GB data but not until the end of the month and even then, the unlimited 2G/3G speeds hold me over until the next cycle and I have been able to videocall on facebook messenger with those speeds.

When I do exceed my data, it is from using other apps besides video calling so I couldn't give you an idea of whether or not your daughter would exceed 2GB just from that.

However, I know facetime on iPhone uses about 3MB per minute so she could theoretically videocall you for 666 minutes/~11 hours each month, ~3 hours each week, or ~20 minutes a day on high-speed.

If she uses an android phone, there are other videocalling apps that probably use a comparable amount of data as facetime.

And if the school has wifi, your daughter can definitely videocall you for longer than those estimates I gave you.

-Chris

PS: I think it is awesome that you're learning ASL. More parents should be like you.

• tmo_marissa

Hey Chris!

Our promo team is still looking into this, but they returned with a few follow up questions. I know which plan you're currently on, but for the second line, which plan were you interested in adding? Although there isn't an unlimited option for DHH plans at this moment, if there were, would you be willing to switch to that for eligibility (or a plan with a comparable price point), to meet the requirements for the BOGO as far as Simple Choice/T-Mobile ONE plans? Lastly, which two Samsung devices were you interested in purchasing?

Thank you!

Marissa

• magenta2513421

Hi Marissa,

Thanks for staying in touch.

Both lines would have a DHH plan.

My switching to a DHH plan with unlimited data to redeem the BOGO deal depends on what the comparable price point is.

I am interested in the Samsung Galaxy S8.

Best,

Chris

• tmo_marissa

Thank you! I'll pass that along, I appreciate your follow-up!

• magenta2513421

Hi Marissa,

I am leaving on a trip to Europe in a few days and won't be back in the states until mid-January.

It has been two weeks since I came to T-Mobile Support with this issue and I was hoping it would be resolved by now.

Is there a chance I will be able to redeem this offer before I leave?

Best,

Chris

• tmo_marissa

Hi Chris!
                                          I'm so sorry for the delay in response here, I've been out of the office for a few days.
                                          I heard back from our promo team and I think it's great news! This was their response (slightly edited for public posting):

Please proceed with adding a new line with a 2nd DHH plan and purchasing 2 devices on EIP (1 device per phone line).

Then the customer will then need to submit for their rebate and let us know when they have submitted. Ideally, if he can provide the Tracking ID for the rebate submission (it will appear on the last screen when he submits) it will make it much easier to track and ensure the rebate is processed.

We are actively working to resolve this issue for our DHH customers going forward and will be working through this over the next few weeks.

So we've got the go, and a win for customers going forward, too! I'm going to send a PM your way so that you and I can stay in touch through this process and I can grab your tracking info and pass it back to them. <3 Please take a look in your inbox when you have a chance!

Thank you again for your patience, and thanks *so* much for bringing this concern here.

- Marissa