Cant get SMS notifications from my wife

magenta3218302

So this is weird. My wife is the only other Tmobile person I contact.  When I get a normal sms/mms, I get a notification on my smartwatch, and also on the lock screen of my phone.  It also plays through my car speaker.  With my wife, none of this happens.  I can only see that she has text me through the text app itself.  I use the default everything.  are tmobile text messages treated differently than others or something?

All replies

• snn555

Re: Cant get SMS notifications from my wife

The only thing I can think of is that because she is the only other T-Mobile customer you communicate with buy a text perhaps it has something to do with RCS Rich communication services. This is available typically between two people on the same carrier. However I'm not sure why that would be the case if it is the case.

• magenta3218302

Ive also noticed when I send her text messages, its says "delivered" and "read."  she is the only one I get these notifications for.  Is there a setting somewhere I can turn off?

• smokindog

Do you by chance have your wife's phone number stored in YOUR contact as an alternate number?  There's a related thread on texts here someplace and I experienced it myself.   My wife's text conversation would show up as a conversation with myself until I removed her number from MY contact.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • tmo_marissa

Hey, magenta3218302. I just wanted to check in here and see how things were going. Are you still having trouble getting SMS notifications when your wife messages you? What types of devices are you using -- some phones have a settings option where you can turn Advanced Messaging on/off, we can see if that's part of the issue!

- Marissa

• magenta3218302

Yes, I still cannot get them.  car, watch, lockscreen, nada.  We are both using the galaxy s8+.

• tmo_amanda

Thanks for getting back to us, magenta3218302!  Have you tried smokindog's suggestion?

smokindog wrote:

Do you by chance have your wife's phone number stored in YOUR contact as an alternate number?  There's a related thread on texts here someplace and I experienced it myself.   My wife's text conversation would show up as a conversation with myself until I removed her number from MY contact.

Also, can you make sure blocking mode is turned off?

1. From Apps, tap Settings.
                      2. Tap Blocking mode.
                      3. To receive all notifications, tap the slider Off.
                      • tmo_marissa

Hey there! Sorry to send more inbox items your way over this holiday weekend, but we just wanted to make sure you had a chance to see the most recent suggestion. Were you able to rule those items out? How are things going for you?

- Marissa

• magenta3218302

Hello,

I verified her number is stored separately, and also that there was no blocking.  Still no luck.  as a test, I tried doing a tasker profile under "received SMS."  it works for everyone else, but not my wife's phone.  Are messages from other Tmobile numbers not treated as SMS?  I also disabled wifi calling, as a faq on this website said it was necessary for advanced messaging, but it still didn't work.

I'm using a Samsung galaxy s8 plus, same for my wife.

• smokindog

FIRST - Not trying to be anything but clarifying here .   I had my wife as a separate contact AND had additionally her cell number in MY contact as a tertiary number.  That caused the issue of texts from ME to her showing up as a conversation with myself.  I'm guessing it's because my contact is before her contact alphabetically but I never ran that down to completion once because it worked once I removed her cell number from MY contact.  To be covered I then added her contact to my emergency contacts.

SECOND - Have you tested sending email texts to both your numbers for nothing other than seeing how it behaves?  Not sure where this would take the discussion but just thinking of all the ways messages can arrive.  If I send an email text fromme@myemail.com to mymobile#@tmomail.net it shows up as a text from ME (presuming because that's the email I have in my contact).  I'm wondering if it would change if you try the differing permutations beginning with WIFEemail@WIFEisp.com to YOURmobile#@tmomail.net and make sure her email is in her contact???

Just thinking out loud here!!!!

• tmo_amanda

Thanks for the extra info, magenta3218302! Yes, T-Mobile to T-Mobile SMS' are treated the same as T-Mobile to non-T-Mobile.  smokindog  had a few good suggestions. Have you given them a shot yet? Lastly, at this point, I think it's best to contact Tech Support via 611 to have them file a ticket for you. You'll need 2-3 examples that include her phone number, the time of the SMS, and date.