Meitu M8 Connected with "E" but no LTE.

sumii0626

Ok so I googled and ran through all the APN settings for t-mobile for hours on end. I can't get LTE or 4G on my phone even though its capable. Is it straight up just a bandwidth/frequency issue? I'm able to call and send messages just fine. The internet is just SLOW AS CRAP (E/2G). I drive/travel a lot and need my maps to be able to run and function smoothly. Is there no special APN setting to get it LTE capable or is there something I'm doing wrong... lol?

Apparently google results say the only bandwidth that T-mobile shares with my phone is 700 mhz or none at all (which isn't the case clearly since I am using it now).

I specifically have the Meitu M8 Sailor Moon Edition (Chinese version) phone.

I had the same issues of not being able to get my Oneplus 2 (phone I was using before the meitu) connected with LTE at first until a certain APN setting got it working. Hoping its the same case but I have a feeling its not .

All replies

• snn555

Re: Meitu M8 Connected with "E" but no LTE.

The phone needs bands 2 4 12 LTE. Without those there is no LTE on mobile. (band 4 is what my tmobile phones primarily use) No APN settings can make a phone work without the radios being capable.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • drnewcomb2

I looked up the specs for the Meitu M8. It looks like a phone that is designed for the Euro-Asian market. It has no 3G or 4G bands that are compatible with T-Mobile. It has one of the bands (41) used by Sprint, which also happens to be used in China, and one band (7) used in Canada. Both of these are high frequency bands which are only good at short range. This phone is pretty much unsuitable for use in the USA.

• sumii0626

So the phone works perfectly fine with calling and texting. I went over to AT&T and checked with them. Although LTE doesn't work over there, I did get 4G. So I might just jump over to them since thats a lot better than 2G lol..

But I talked to a T-Mobile tech guy and he said they do have the LTE bands 900 and 2100 that work with the phone but he doesn't know why the phone isn't working with the standard APN setting. You guys have any idea? Everyone is saying stuff that contradicts a lot of stuff. So I'm just getting more confused and annoyed haha. I signed up for AT&T forum and the people that replied there were all useless and completely wrong rofl... It doesn't help that it seems like I know more than the tech guys that I end up calling for both carriers and that makes me sad cause I feel like I barely know anything lol...

snn555

dragon1562

• drnewcomb2

First off, this is not your usual phone. Finding the specs for it relies on 3rd-party sites and they may not know everything.

There are hundreds of cheap phones sold on the Chinese, Indian & European markets that are not designed to work with US networks.

A lot of these are imported and sold on eBay. They are like other grey-market goods: completely without a US support system.

As a BYOD (Bring your own device) it's up to the customer to assure that the phone is compatible with the network, not the other way around.

If you get some sort of service with AT&T, more power to you and best of luck.

• dragon1562

drnewcomb2 and snn555 basically answered the question. Which is its not you but the phone. I just wanted to suggest some things that you can do from here to improve the situation. To start I would download any of the locations you plan to travel to before hand so that google maps can work in the offline mode on your device.

In the long term I suggest finding a phone that will fully support the T-mobile network as well as places you plan to travel to. If you frequent China you will want a device that supports CDMA technology. Since I assume you prefer android based on the past two devices you have used I would suggest a unlocked GS8 or an LG v30. If these devices are not within a price range you feel comfortable with I would then look to something like the One Plus 5. If you are not opposed to Apple products the sim free Iphone 8+ supports a very wide portfolio of frequencies used across the world. Its actually my go to device when I travel overseas personally.

I know this isn't the best situation but sadly there is nothing else you can do. If you need any other advice feel freee to post and i'll try my best to help.

• sumii0626

I don't know why I didn't think about downloading the offline maps.... I love you for that <3 haha.

I appreciate you going out of your way to recommend and etc! So nice But yea, I am pretty stubborn about getting this meitu to work since I been obsessed with it the past 6 months. I put so much time and research into this phone that if I really can't get 4G on it, then I might just switch over to AT&T. I was never a fan of T-mobile since the coverage sucks but it's been free for me since I'm under a family plan so just have to weigh whats more important to me right now lol.

• snn555

If you want coverage with T-Mobile then you need to get a T-Mobile compatible phone. If you believe you can get better coverage with AT&T you'll just have to pay for your own plan.  900 and 2100 are frequencies for voice not LTE.

• dragon1562

I personally use both AT&T and T-mobile. I must say that there is a good chance you will run into issues on their network as well since AT&T is not great about supporting BYOD. A example would be the nexus 6p. It is a device that supports Voice over LTE and HD voice but AT&T does not allow it since its not one of their branded phones.

If you believe it to be the best decision then I would try it out. Maybe get a prepaid option with them like Cricket this way if your not happy you won't be tied into them to deeply. I truly understand how you feel btw. I felt this way with my note 4 back when it was a great phone. Its just that the device is not ment for the US market and their is no real options that I can personally think of other then finding a phone that is close to what meets your wants and needs.

Maybe you can look for a US version of the device you bought. Companies do that pretty often. Samsung would be a good example of this. You could also buy a budget device even.

I really do wish you the best in these regards and I'll try to find you a phone or something if you list some things that you want. I'll also try and brainstorm on things that can help make your current device more useful to you.

• tmo_mike_c

Looks like you got loads of help from our awesome community members. I'm just checking in to see if you had any other questions or need more help. Please let us know. Thanks!