Wait I can't keep my number????! HELP!

j_rosser

Hello! I'm very unhappy recent switcher that is now going to have to crawl back to AT&T hoping I can working something out. My husband and I switched last Saturday. They didn't have the phone I wanted in stock, but the store reps said no problem we can order it. (They are the only positive part of this story). I was out of town this week on business, so they had the phone shipped to the store. I went today to port over my number (mind you my husband already ported his and has his new T-Mobile phone with T-Mobile service for almost a week) they said they couldn't port it! Because my phone number is a WV area code thought I live in PA, they said it's not eligible to be ported. What!! The first question I asked was can I keep my phone number, the answer yes and the coverage map is pink in almost of all WV! So now, I can't either have to get a new dumb PA number or not switch. My husband's old phone is gone though and he's already been disconnected from our AT&T account...

I don't know what to do!! I'm so frustrated. I know some would say it's just a number and I logically am trying to get there, but I can't. It's more than a number, it's my last connection to WV, it integrated with my work, on my business cards.  What will happen when work people who have that number in their phone can't contact me. I am so just hopeless feeling at the moment.

Why and when will it be fixed??! This makes zero sense to me. Has anyone else faced this issue. Was IS there a solution.

All replies

• drnewcomb2

Re: Wait I can't keep my number????! HELP!

T-Mobile does not provide service in parts of WV and thus is not set up to have numbers from all parts of the state. It's a bit technical but you could port your number to Google Voice, then forward your new Google Voice number to your new, Pennsylvania, T-Mobile number. This will allow you to continue to receive calls and texts on that number for the foreseeable future.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • j_rosser

I'll see if the store can do it this way. Promotional materials say bring your name, your phone. Why wouldn't this be something they would have checked first? They new it was a 304 number when we started. We were where I lived last weekend and my husband's phone worked fine mostly. I'm hopeful this will work.

• tmo_chris

Hey there! I completely understand wanting to keep your number. I have had the same number for longer than I could remember and don't know what I would do if I lost it. We try to make it as easy as possible for users to port their number in but there are still some technical limitations to this. drnewcomb2 has an interesting solution and I hope this can work for you! Please let us know how it goes.

• tmo_mike_c

Greetings j_rosse.

Just stopping by to see if you tried the suggestion above. Feel free to give us a reply back so we know if that helps. Thank you.

• j_rosser

It's not a perfect fix, but it does work. I have to remember to use google voice app to message and call out of in order to still use my WV number. So, I lose some perks/functionality of the phone (such as saying Siri call whoever or text whoever). My number is safe though and hopefully T-Mobile will find a way to fix these issues and be able to port my number from Google Voice to them eventually. I'm very close to the WV line, so the store reps were very concerned this will cause them to lose ALOT of business in the future. If my husband's phone wasn't already switched we probably wouldn't have settled with this circumstance and not have switched.

It's likely we will be tempted to move again depending on the promotions of other carriers. The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth, because our first question when entering the store was we're interested in switching can we keep our numbers? The reps knew it was a 304 number before we started. I feel like because I waited for the phone I ordered to come in and my husband had already switched over we were very much stuck.

I wish there was a way to be notified if and when this issue is resolved and WV number can be ported. As I said with my number living in Google Voice, its safe and I'm hopeful it can eventually be ported over as my real number. Only time will tell how annoying/inconvenient the Google Voice option is.

• tmo_mike_c

I totally hear you and I'm glad you're still able to keep your number. That's rough being told one thing, and then being told the opposite later. This is more of a rare issue with porting and unfortunately we don't have a way to notify you with any port changes. Keeping a WV area code is really going to depend on if things change for us in that market. As of right now, I don't have any info mentioning that it will. I know that's not the best answer and I wish I could give you something more solid. If this is working for your right now and it's allowing you to keep your number, I'm happy for that. Later on down the road, if there's an offer that peaks your interest and you're looking port in again, it'll be a good idea to give a Care folks another shot at looking into porting and only doing so if you can keep the number you have.

• j_rosser

Ha, that's funny. The store reps were like it's happening now, it should be anytime now that they would be able to do it. I work in the industry so knew it wasn't in the immediate future, but thought maybe a year or something out since they were acting like it would be any day now.

• tmo_mike_c

Ah, I see. Sorry if we gave you the impression it's happening right now. Since you're in the industry, I'm sure you already know changes like this can take some time. It would be awesome if we could give you something more definite, but we don't wanna give you unrealistic expectations. We know we have areas we can improve on so I'm sure T-Mobile will continue to make changes in the future that'll help benefit folks looking to change over to the magenta side.