iphone 5s unlock problem

alejandrochua

hi, i am helping my friends mom, he's busy on work and he have just tried again to request for unlock but tmobile said the device was already unlocked when he requested last january. but when i try to activate it using other simcard, it is still saying simcard is invalid.so meaning it is not unlocked. i am in other country with his mom, and it is not easy to call him anytime due to work. and it is expensive to call also.

so i am asking if there is any help here?

i hope to talk to a operator but it is asking for account of tmobile which for now is i don''t have.

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: iphone 5s unlock problem

Hey, alejandrochua!

That's very kind of you to help your mom's friend get their phone unlocked. When the device was unlocked in January, was it a permanent or temporary unlock? Also, was the iPhone 5s purchased from T-Mobile and is it completely paid off? Lastly, when was the last time the device was used with the T-Mobile SIM? One thing to note when using an international SIM is that not all of them will work on the device.

• alejandrochua

hi, yes, it was paid all by my friend. he finished his 2 years contract. and if i check on tmobile eligibility checker, it said congratulations, your phone is ready to be used etc. i don't know if the unlock is temporary or not when it was said by tmobile that it is already unlocked. he tried to request again last Wednesday and they told him that it was done january 31, 2017. and it was unlocked. and what do mean it would not work on all international sim? it means that the phone is not really going to be unlocked? i am confused. because when my uncle gave me a iphone 6 from at&t and then i requested for unlock, it was working with any sim after. i thought tmobile would unlock iphone permanently as long as the contract is finished and fully paid..

• alejandrochua

i restored it to the latest ios, tried to activate it, still sim not valid when activating. my friend said that when he spoke to tmobile, his account was cleared and cannot be found anymore on tmobile. and they said to him that it was done unlock last january 31, 2017.

anyone could check it please?

here is the imei : 013849004449208

• tmo_amanda

At this point, we'll need you to try a different carrier's SIM to see if the device will show unlocked. I understand it's a bit inconvenient but we would appreciate it if you gave that a shot.

gramps28 do you have any other suggestions for the OP? You're an unlock pro around here!

• gramps28

Outside of contacting T-force to check on the actual unlock status I can't think of anything.

The phone may have been jailbroke and when their was an update to the os it caused it to lock.

• alejandrochua

nope.. jailbrake has nothing to do with unlock. trust me about that. 2nd is, i know tmobile will only relock your phone if, you have an outstanding balance or unpaid bills on your account. sorry to say things like this. but what you're saying isn't true.

i was hoping to get anything from anyone from tmobile side. because the problem is, when my friend called tmobile 2 weeks ago, the representative from tmobile he talked only asked the imei, when he gave it, they told him that the phone is unlocked last january 31, 2017, and his account is cleared on tmobile account because the plan was already done and paid. i was asking for his tmobile account so i can use it to log here but he said he think tmobile erased it or something. i don't know what happened but he cannot use it anymore.

• gramps28

Tmobile will only unlock a phone once it's been paid off so you can take that theory and through it out the window.

Apple controls the unlock policy of their phones not Tmobile or any other carrier. With Apple their is no such thing as a

temporary unlock.

Plus Tmobile blocks the phone not sim lock it.

If your friend canceled his account then his MyTmobile account would be closed and not able to be accessed.

• alejandrochua

1st - phone is fully paid, 2 years contract done. the phone is 3 years old

2nd - when checking on IMEI Status Check | See if Your Phone Works on T-Mobile 4G Network  = phone is clean and ready to use.

3rd - he is going to give it to his mother here in other countrybecause he have a new phone. a new contract.

4th - he called tmobile lassst december i think o2016 or january for unlock and then it was unloked january 31, 2017 by tmobile as what they said to him, he called them again 2 weeks ago and they said that it was already unlocked. or did tmobile lie?

• gramps28

All Apple phones are unlocked by Apple. Tmobile just puts in the request to have it

unlocked, so after that it's all on Apple.

Out of curiosity has the phone ever been through a warranted exchange after it was originally unlocked?

• alejandrochua

nope. it was never exchanged for anything, because it was working perfectly. so i think maybe, tmobile did not request the unlock on apple? or forgot about it or did not made the request.. the only problem is how to contact tmobile. we'll, yesterday, i left a voice message again to my friend's phone stating that maybe he could try calling tmobile again and explain it again.

don't know what is the problem why is tmobile giving this phone a hard time.  it was all paid and it was clean even if anyone will check the serial number on tmobile site.

• alejandrochua

i don't know if my english is that bad for the first post, 2nd, third replies i did that i cannot be understand,..

anyway, i left another voicemail to my friend yesterday and i am waiting for his respond. i am asking him again to call tmobile and tell them that the phone is not unlocked like what they are saying.

tmobile service on this kind of things are awful.

i am not new on using iphone, been using one since iphone 2g was released. and i am getting iphone x this january so i am not a newbie using an apple, from activating, using, restoring, even some troubleshooting is not a problem. i just did post here so i am hoping to talk to any tmobile representative, since the account of my friend is long gone and we don't have any other account on tmobile to use to talk directly to tmobile. he can call but i don't know why it is so hard to talk to them on the phone and they cannot really check what is the problem on their side.

1. apple id does not have in any way connected to unlocking a phone. neither does itunes account = it is the same as apple id.

2. apple id will only affect your device upon activation if and ONLY if the phone was icloud lock and it was not yours and you don't know the apple id and in my case it was never a problem because my friend have already log off his apple id from the phone so it can be used by his mother.

3. i just posted here because my friend hasn't been in tmobile 2 years, his account was lost and even if he called tmobile, they said that his account was deleted or erased on their server but the phone, the iphone 5s which he requested for unlock was already unlock (but just a lie or the tmobile representative that processed it was an idiot and did not know what he was doing and just cleared the account but did not really did the request)

• tmo_mike_c

We appreciate you reaching out to your friend and sorry this is getting to be so tough. If the device was unlocked before, you should have been able to use a non-

T-Mobile SIM card in it. Did the friend unlock the phone the first time or did you go through the unlock process? The reason I asked is because there should have been an email you received with instructions on unlocking the device. You can also find the steps on our Mobile Device Unlock: Apple iPhone 5s but this would still depend on the device being eligible for an unlock.

• tmo_amanda

alejandrochua , was his mother able to use the phone successfully with an international SIM? We truly want to help as much as we can and I know it's hard when you're the middle person trying to relay information to your friend. Thank you for continually answering our questions.

• tmo_marissa

Hi, alejandrochua. We just wanted to touch base with you here and see if you were able to find out whether or not your friend's mom was able to use the phone with an international SIM previously. Thanks for staying in touch with us!

- Marissa

• alejandrochua

no. tmobile are in no help. my friend does not want to talk to them anymore because they could not understand what they did to the phone or tmobile customer service representative thinks that their consumers are dumb.

anyway, i manage to make it work with other sim card by using a interposer sim for the phone to work. it is now working but the problem it poses is it cannot be updated. it might not work again.

i said t my friends and colleagues and families not to get any tmobile phone for it will be a problem when they come for a vacation here or any other country and they want to use it on a local sim from other country. much better to get other phone service providers as they will really help. unlike tmobile.

thanks to all that replied.