Unlock Policy?

magenta3146553

I have a question about the posted unlock policy.... The first requirement says it must be a Tmobile phone.  Does that mean it must be purchased from Tmobile?  My company purchased a Tmobile phone from Apple but I travel internationally and need it unlocked.  Will Tmobile unlock it?  If not, how do I get it unlocked? Thanks!

All replies

• tmo_amanda

Re: Unlock Policy?

Hey, magenta3146553!

Sorry for the confusion regarding our unlock policy. We should be able to unlock your iPhone! You'll need to meet these qualifications first: Unlock your mobile wireless device. Please take a look over those and let me know if you have any other questions.

• magenta3146553

Thanks for responding.... I've read the unlock policy... here's my issue...

I've been a prepaid customer for over 10 years.  Planning to switch to the 57+ plan and add an Apple Watch.  Always bought my phones from tmobile and had them unlocked in the past but, if I buy from Tmobile this time, I would have to switch to the monthly plan and then couldn't get my phone unlocked for two months (I travel a lot) because the store says my prior tenure with Tmobile as a prepaid customer won't count.  If I buy a phone from apple and activate it on my prepaid line to get the unlock, I was told even though it's a Tmobile phone it won't count for unlock because it's bought from apple.  What I want is to buy the phone and have it unlocked so I can use it while travelling.  Thoughts? 

• gramps28

All you have to do with a prepaid plan is add $100 of funds to your account after you buy the phone.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                • tmo_amanda

magenta3146553, both gramps28 and magenta3128589 are correct. Have you tried the steps previously provided if the phone was purchased from Apple directly? You can have only 40 days of tenure with us and as long as you have over $100 in refills then you're good to go!

Also, I want to recognize the 10 years that you've spent with us so far! We look forward to many more!

• magenta3146553

Thanks to Amanda and Gramps.  I'm sorry I'm not being clear enough.  I know that I can add the phone to my prepaid account and/or add money to it.  However, in order to activate my Apple Watch, I have to switch to a Post-paid account.  In that case, I would no longer have a prepaid account to count for the unlock and I don't think I should have to spend (waste) $100 that I'm not going to use.  On the other hand, in order to buy the Apple phone from T-mobile, which I'm willing to do, I have to first switch my account to post-paid and then my phone won't be unlocked for four months because it appears I won't get credit for my ten years as a post-paid customer.  That is the dilemma.  The policy is unclear because it says it has to be a Tmobile phone but I've been told that means BOUGHT from T-mobile, not just a T-mobile phone that is bought from Apple. If I could either leave my phone prepaid and still pay extra for my watch or if Tmobile would unlock ALL Tmobile phones, regardless of purchase origin, that would be the best of both worlds.  What I need is EITHER to know that Tmobile will unlock all phones, even if purchased from Apple, so long as they are on the Tmobile network, or to have the 4 month requirement waived because of my long tenure as a post-paid customer.  Is there anyone who could help with that? 

• tmo_amanda

I totally get what you're saying and I agree that your tenure with our company shouldn't simply be wiped away because you're switching account types, magenta3146553. With our SIM unlocks, it doesn't take into account different types of account's tenure. That's great feedback for me to pass along, though. Have you thought about purchasing the iPhone directly from Apple full-price then moving over to a postpaid account for the Watch? I'm not sure if paying full-price up front is what you had in mind.

If the phone is purchased directly from Apple (not on any type of payment plan through T-Mobile), the device should already be unlocked. If it isn't unlocked, that's a whole different story and something we can help out with.

• magenta3128589

If you bought the phone outright from apple as you said then try these options.

If you have a SIM card from a carrier other than your current carrier

Use these steps to finish unlocking your iPhone:

1. Remove your SIM card and insert the new one.
                    2. Set up your iPhone again.

If you don't have another SIM card to use

Use these steps to finish unlocking your iPhone:

1. Back up your iPhone.
                    2. After you make a backup, erase your iPhone.
                    3. Restore your iPhone from the backup you just made.
                    1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • gramps28

That's why you use a Verizon sim first. It will only lock to one provider.

tidbits

• magenta3146553

OK.. I see what you're saying... Question:  I need a GSM phone for the countries I work in.  I didn't think verizon was GSM -- only Tmobile and AT&T.  Isn't that a problem?  Thx!

• drnewcomb2

It's not a problem because the iPhone has many bands and protocols. If not, how would Verizon customers roam overseas? There are two differences, the Verizon model actually includes CDMA capability, whereas the T-Mobile and AT&T model does not. This means that if someday you wanted to port to Verizon (or Sprint) you wouldn't need to change phones. Also, while I'm not really up on the iPhone X, the 8 used two different main chips. The Verizon model used a Qualcomm chip but the AT&T/T-Mobile model used an Intel chip, which was considered the less capable of the two.

• tidbits

gramps28 wrote:

That's why you use a Verizon sim first. It will only lock to one provider.

tidbits

By FCC regulation and block C rules all devices that support their 700C spectrum they purchased must be unlocked.  So yes putting a Verizon sim on first boot on ANY Flex Policy iPhone will make sure it stays unlocked.

• magenta3146553

These are great suggestions.  Unfortunately, the countries I work in use GSM phones so I have to have a GSM phone, not a CDMA phone like Verizon.  Last time I checked, only Russia and the US used CDMA based phones.  I learned that the hard way.  So the Verizon solution, which would be great for someone using it only here, won't work overseas where I travel.  Thanks so much for your info though. 

• tidbits

magenta3146553 wrote:

These are great suggestions. Unfortunately, the countries I work in use GSM phones so I have to have a GSM phone, not a CDMA phone like Verizon. Last time I checked, only Russia and the US used CDMA based phones. I learned that the hard way. So the Verizon solution, which would be great for someone using it only here, won't work overseas where I travel. Thanks so much for your info though.

Doesn't matter  the iPhone is CDMA/GSM since the iPhone 5.  Here are the iPhone 8 specs.  In bold those are all GSM bands the phone supports

• FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 66)
                                      • TD-LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41)
                                      • TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
                                      • CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)
                                      • UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
                                      • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
                                        • tidbits

Here's it the one for the GSM ONLY one  Notice the same spectrum support?

• Model A1897*

Models A1905 and A1897 do not support CDMA networks, such as those used by Verizon and Sprint.

• FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 66)
                                            • magenta3146553

This is interesting.  I'm getting the Iphone X and their website says there are two versions:

Also known as Apple iPhone 10, Apple iPhone Ten

Versions:

A1865 (USA, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, China)

A1901 (EMEA, UAE, LATAM, Canada, USA - AT&T/T-Mobile, Singapore)

Does this mean that, if you have a us phone that works in canada it won't work in Australia? 

• tidbits

magenta3146553 wrote:

This is interesting. I'm getting the Iphone X and their website says there are two versions:

Also known as Apple iPhone 10, Apple iPhone Ten

Versions:

A1865 (USA, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, China)

A1901 (EMEA, UAE, LATAM, Canada, USA - AT&T/T-Mobile, Singapore)

Does this mean that, if you have a us phone that works in canada it won't work in Australia?

The difference CDMA support it seem between the two.

A1865 is CDMA support.

• TD-SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
                                                  • CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900, 2100 MHz)

A1901 is GSM only.

As long as the supported spectrum is there and is unlocked it should work on that respective carrier.  It is showing what regions the models will be sold in not what works or not work  on what network.  The reason why it says 1901 will not work on Verizon or Sprint for example is due to the fact it doesn't support CDMA.

• tmo_marissa

Hi magenta3146553! I know you've gotten a ton of great feedback from our Community members, but I wanted to touch base and make sure you'd been able to get all of your concerns addressed. Please let us know if you have any questions we can help with!

• tmo_mike_c

Hi! Just checking in to see if you got the help you need. Please let us know if you have any other questions.