No connection without wifi???

magenta3140721

Hello, for about a year my phone has not had connection without using wifi. This means that if I am out and I need a uber and there is no free WiFi available I can not request a car.

This is not good.

I tried to look for networks and it's on auto.

I have been using this phone for 2 years but the problem started only the last year.

How can I fix it besides burning my tmobile account and moving to Verizon, which my husband keeps on telling me to do.

All replies

• snn555

Re: No connection without wifi???

I would have contacted support a long time ago to find out if it was a network issue SIM card issue or device issue. At which point you may have had warranty claim availability. I suggest contacting T-Mobile directly find a resolution and find out if you still have warranty or insurance.

Side note. Have you reset the phone? Do other people have service on tmo with other or same phones?

• magenta3140721

I called and they were quick at blaming my phone for it because it' not a tmobile phone. They were less than helpful. They claim that it doesn't work because it' not a tmobile phone 

BS.

• magenta3140721

I reset the phone and reinstalled everything recently .... I wiped everything out but it didn' help.

I also have very bad phone reception. Can hardly hear the people I talk to their voice goes in an out depending on where I am standing .... it started only a year ago, before it was fine. Have been loving in the same apt and with the same phone for the last 2 years ...  problems started last year.

• snn555

Sounds like you may need to check the APN settings to make sure they are set to Tmobile settings. What phone model was this?  Tmobile should be able to help set you straight if you ask them about APN settings making it sound like you know more than they might think you know.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • magenta3140721

it's a samsung s5 mini.

I wish they would listen to me but all they want me to do is buy a new tmobile phone. I do need one but I don'

Like any of the ones they offer.

• snn555

Truth of the matter is that a new phone built for TMobile is probably going to be the best choice to give you the best service. There are a lot of phones that will work on other networks but usually they're missing a feature or just not correctly set up to make the most of the network. While I have seen other threads that speak about the Samsung S5 for which the mini is really no different other than being smaller I have seen where there are multiple issues especially with data. It's possible that at some point an update or reset put all of those settings back to the Verizon settings. What sort of phone and features are you looking for that you are unable to find on T-Mobile sales site? Perhaps there's something there that fits the bill that was overlooked.  In the end the service and cost would be my main factor in deciding on a carrier and not the ability of a former carriers device to work on my new carriers Network.

• magenta3140721

Mostly size and durability.

I was considering the S7 but my husband has it and it' so heavy and delicate (screen all cracked)  and gets super hot.

My small old s5 mini fell 100 times without breaking.

• snn555

I have to be honest that there are not any phones with a four and a half inch screen available other than the iPhone SE. It sounds like you would most likely want to stay with Samsung. I could suggest the j3 prime even the LG K20 or LG Stylo 3 plus but all of them I have a 5.2 inch or larger display. Any phone available is going to be much better quality and much more up-to-date than the phone you have. But there are a few phones in the 5.2 in range where the bezels are smaller than the S5 Mini and maybe a close similarity in size overall. These phones range from $200 to $500. But in the end any phone you might choose would far surpass the older Tech of the S5 Mini as well as be 100% compatible on the T-Mobile network.

All of that to say that at the time of your phone's release it was a flagship quality and higher spec handset. The options today are less expensive better quality with new features and updated software. As far as the screen size goes having smaller bezels means you can have a bigger display in the same overall size. As far as durability goes glass is glass and depending on how it lands depends on how it's damaged. I have always useused protective cases not Everyone likes to use those. But the older S5 Mini was all plastic with larger bezels and this could account for the durability you experienced.

I'm not sure if any of that helped at all but hopefully you're able to find something that fits the bill and keeps you on T-Mobile. Like I said before if you have good service and you like your rate plan I would recommend buying a new phone. If your service is not up to par or you don't like the cost of your service then it may be more beneficial to go back to Verizon. But so far it sounds like you had good service and T-Mobile is cheaper than Verizon and the only problem was the phone.

• dragon1562

If this happened a year ago there is a chance that they refarmed some of the network in the area or as snn555 mentioned a update occurred that changed settings. It seems like he was able to answer most of your questions but I also wanted to add in my input. I personally believe you should get a new phone as well. Before you do I would ask friends that have T-mobile for their experience in the areas you frequent. Also I know you want a small phone like your s5 mini but I would suggest something like the LG v30 since it is the most future proof device out on the market and you seem to be the type to not upgrade frequently.

Hope this added info helps you make a informed decision with whatever you decide.

• dragon1562

One other device I would recommend is the S8 active that just got officially announced. It supports all the T-mobile network as well as the future spectrum that T-mobile plans to deploy.

• tmo_chris

Hey there! Just checking in here to see how things are going. snn555 & dragon1562 have provided some pretty helpful insight here and I wanted to see if you are still having issues.

If so, have you had a chance to check the APN settings? You can follow our S5 steps here to get to the apn settings and compare what you see to our default internet and mms settings here.

• tmo_mike_c

Hey magenta3140721 .

I see there's been a lot of helpful info given by our community folks. Have you had the chance to give the steps above a shot? If so, please give us a reply and let us know if they help. Thanks!

• tmo_amanda

Happy Thursday, magenta3140721!

Have you tried entering this information listed under APN & Data settings, as Chris mentioned? If so, please let us know if you're able get your S5 working afterwards.

• magenta3140721

Finally I was able to log in!! The system wasn't letting me log in for a week!

Anyway, I added the information under access point names , then edit access point ... and I added T-mobile US LITE...but when I select that network as soon as I get out of the access point names , it goes back to T-mobile GPRS, no matter how many times I go back and selectT-mobile US lite .... and there is not way to "save" the selection when I get out. Only option I get is "reset to default".

I still don't have connection if I am not on wi-fi.

I am considering an iphone, which one is the smaller but still a good phone?

I have the samsung S5 mini and would like something comparable.

does the Iphone let you add a memory card? I have zero experience with iphones, but I do have an ipad mini.

I am so scared of all these new super fragile phones ,,,, not that I drop my phone often but it happens, you know? and I would hate a broken screen

• snn555

The iPhone is going to be a vastly different operating system than you have been accustomed to. The iPhone does not allow using an SD card. As far as size goes the X and the 8 plus are similar in overall size with the screen being larger on the X. As previously mentioned any phone you get now is more than comparable to the old S5 mini.

• magenta3140721

Thanks,

I am sort of familiar with the apple system as I do use an ipad mini but I dont really love it.

so there is not way to make my old s5 mini work somehow?

• snn555

There is another few threads started by a former AT&T customer using an S5 or S5 Mini. They report that they can make and receive phone calls and text however data is very slow and limited.  The S5 Mini just does not have all of the capabilities needed to run on TMobile coming from AT&T.  Again it will work somewhat but the way I figure is that at some point after setting up the Verizon version of your phone something happened on a reset and it changed those settings back to default Verizon settings. That is the only reason I can think of as to why your phone worked and then it no longer work properly. But again anytime you bring a phone from another carrier you are susceptible to run into these types of issues.

My apologies if I confused your phone as a Verizon or AT&T phone when it was the other. However the statement still Rings true about bringing a phone from another carrier to a new carrier.

• magenta3140721

I think there was a misunderstanding.

I was never with another provider, I have had T-mobile since I moved to the US 12 years ago.

I just said my husband wants me to move to Verizon because HE has it and is happy with it.

• snn555

I can say good things about both services however I am with T-Mobile even though Verizon also works in my area because my service with T-Mobile is excellent and I'm paying much much less per month for 2 lines of unlimited internet. I might consider bringing him over to T-Mobile if you are over the age of 55 because there is an excellent rate plan for the over 55 plus crowd. Of course you can also combine with Verizon and get a 2   Line Discount albeit not nearly as steep a discount as the TMobile But there again one has to do what they think is necessary for their own benefit.