Can no longer send group messages

msebc

We use a prepaid account at my work (Microsoft) only using the phone for emergency response awareness. A message goes out to multiple people in our organization so using group messaging is required so we don't have to send the message multiple times. We have had the account for about a year and this process has worked fine all year until sometime near the end of September. We have tried putting the sim in to multiple different phones which non of them work. I took our phone into the Tmobile by my work and we were told that all phones older than 2 years can no longer send MMS due to the 5G upgrade.

Trying to find out if this is true, since we now have to buy a new phone for this process I want to make sure we order one that will work on group messaging. If it is not true then there is something wrong with our account. We have tried this on multiple Windows phone devices as well as a Motorola Nexus 5

All replies

• cesaribenitez95

Re: Can no longer send group messages

The 5G network is only in a handful of cities.  As long as your phone uses 4G VoLTE to should work. Also sim cards do expire, make sure you have a device that connects to VoLTE, and get a new sim card.

• msebc

I have already tried getting a new SIM card with no change, both phones are using 4G VoLTE. The people at the store said when they did the 5G upgrade that it closed down a the lowest bandwidth which prevents phones with older equipment not able to perform certain functions...

• msebc

We've tried Windows Lumia 950 and the 950 XL. my zip code is 98052, no trouble accessing the internet.

• tmo_chris

Thanks for that info! So both of these phones have LTE band 4 and band 2 capabilities which are still available frequencies in your area. What happens when you try to send/receive a single picture message on either of these phones? Have you had the chance to try the SIM cards from the Lumia devices into T-Mobile branded phones?

• dragon1562

The store rep is incorrect with what he is saying. I will say though that it is probably a issue with how the device is handling MMS. Have you had any updates recently or downloaded any apps that might not be playing nice? Have you checked you're APN settings as well? I personally used to have problems like this when it came to unlocked phones like my Nexus 6p. Sometimes it was silly things like my sim going bad but you said you got a new one so that should eliminate that as a issue.

If possible as well try force connecting to HSPA+(4g) to see if that makes any difference when LTE is not working. If worse comes to worse and its still not working try a factory reset. If still after all this then look into another phone. Depending on price range I can try and make suggestions.

• msebc

I have tried resetting both phones as well as setting the APN. I tried doing this both before and after running system updates, no apps are needed so nothing has been downloaded. The phones are not unlocked either. Someone else had suggested it may be because the plan we are on does not have data. HOWEVER it never had data and would work perfectly fine before. Literally nothing was changed on the phone itself when it stopped working in September, which was the same week they did the 5G thing.

How do you "force connect to HSPA+"?

• tmo_chris

Hey msebc

To change the network mode on the phone, you can follow these steps.

Slide your finger downwards starting from the top of the screen.

Press All settings.

Press Network & wireless.

Press Mobile & SIM.

Press SIM settings.

Press the drop down list below "Highest connection speed".

Press the required network mode. Choose 3G or 4g.

Also, what happens when you try to send/receive a single picture message on either of these phones? Have you had the chance to try the SIM cards from the Lumia devices into T-Mobile branded phones?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • tmo_chris

Hey there! What kind of phones do you have and what is your ZIP code? Do you ever have any trouble accessing the internet on your phone when you notice that these group messages are not working?

• tmo_mike_c

Hi msebc.

Just checking in to see if you've given the steps above a shot. Please give us a reply back and let us know how things are going. Thank you!

• tmo_mike_c

Hello again!

Did you still need help here? Please let us know if we can assist further. Thanks!