T-MOBILE ignores loyal customers.

gwprigge

T-Mobile is so intent on stealing customers from the top 2 that they will offer buyouts and other incentives to get customer switches.  They seem to think that this type of customer will stick around when one of the top 2 makes an offer full of incentives.  That's optimistic, at best probably unrealistic.

Meanwhile, customers that have stuck with T-Mobile for years see no such incentives or offers.  Case in point _  T-Mobile just reduced the Mexico data allowance to 5Gb.  I, for one, signed with T-Mobile 5 years ago BECAUSE of the Mexico coverage, and now it is severely diminished..  NOT that I routinely exceed the new limit, but I might need to sometime, and if I do I will be PUNISHED at 128kb speeds.

This recent development, and having been ignored with the incentives offered non-customers, has me thinking.  Thinking about become one of the hordes of switchers taking advantage of the companies generosity toward disloyalty.  Just make the rounds periodically, and reap the rewards.

All replies

• tidbits

Re: T-MOBILE ignores loyal customers.

gwprigge wrote:

T-Mobile is so intent on stealing customers from the top 2 that they will offer buyouts and other incentives to get customer switches. They seem to think that this type of customer will stick around when one of the top 2 makes an offer full of incentives. That's optimistic, at best probably unrealistic.

Meanwhile, customers that have stuck with T-Mobile for years see no such incentives or offers. Case in point _ T-Mobile just reduced the Mexico data allowance to 5Gb. I, for one, signed with T-Mobile 5 years ago BECAUSE of the Mexico coverage, and now it is severely diminished.. NOT that I routinely exceed the new limit, but I might need to sometime, and if I do I will be PUNISHED at 128kb speeds.

This recent development, and having been ignored with the incentives offered non-customers, has me thinking. Thinking about become one of the hordes of switchers taking advantage of the companies generosity toward disloyalty. Just make the rounds periodically, and reap the rewards.

These limits are more than likely set by their partners.  Have remember T-Mobile entered into a deal, and there are other parties involved.  The problem is a lot of people go there and 100G+ on a consistent basis to the point their partners are wanted to drop out of the deal.  If you know a better way of handling it that will have their partners happy I am sure T-Mobile is willing to listen.

In a free market there should never be loyalty you use the company as long as they meet your needs.  When they no longer you walk.  Why?  This thing called loyalty is like a collar and keeps you are for a while even when you should have left weeks, months, or even years ago.  Make them work for you money or walk away as that will ultimately make or break the company.  I been with T-Mobile since they were voicestream(I also have Verizon, and AT&T for that long.  Sprint up until 2009 and they messed up really bad), and if I get better coverage for less money I walk.  I like T-Mobile and all, but the end of the day I work for my money and I expect any company that wants that money better work hard for me to get my money.

• gwprigge

So you are saying that their partners in Mexico (TELMEX, MOVISTAR) objected to the 100GB users, and to appease them T-MOBILE set the limit at 5GB ?  Does the word "overkill" mean anything ?  If that is true, then T-Mobile is acting like the government.  Penalize 99% to get control of the 5% of abusers.

You didn't help.  At least we agree on the ignored loyalty part.

• tidbits

gwprigge wrote:

So you are saying that their partners in Mexico (TELMEX, MOVISTAR) objected to the 100GB users, and to appease them T-MOBILE set the limit at 5GB ? Does the word "overkill" mean anything ? If that is true, then T-Mobile is acting like the government. Penalize 99% to get control of the 5% of abusers.

You didn't help. At least we agree on the ignored loyalty part.

Do you honestly thing Canada for example which for a substantial price go to Canada use 100+ gb, and their own customer base without paying an arm and leg get to get 2GB of data would sit right those carriers?  I have a bunch of friends up there that complain about that.  Canada companies could have just backed out and charge T-Mobile roaming rates again?  You expect T-Mobile to eat all those costs going forward?  So the fact that 95% of those people never get to that mark to even be throttled how are they being punished at all?  Be another thing if they lowered it to were 100% of those people will be throttle as well as those 5% of users.  It only affects those 5% of users. and you could be that 5% at any given time.  those same 5% are never the same 5% every day, week, or month.

We don't agree on ignored loyalty.  I said it should not exist which is different than it being ignored.

• tmo_marissa

Hi, gwprigge. Welcome to our Community, and thanks for taking time to post your feedback here. I'm stoked to read that you joined us for the awesome benefits of Mobile Without Borders -- but I'm sorry that the recent update and addition of a high speed cap are going to be an inconvenience for you.

The truth is that Mobile Without Borders was a benefit designed to solve a pain point for many customers -- unexpected roaming charges when traveling close to home -- but wasn't intended to replace an international plan. From what we've seen, more than 99% of our customers use under 5GB on a monthly basis while roaming in Canada or Mexico, which is to say that less than one percent use more than 5GB. That said, I understand that the math doesn't make up for the let-down if you're in that percentage point.

You're right that some of our running promotions are aimed at new customers -- Carrier Freedom and Get Out Of The Red. We offer these programs because honestly, we want folks to have the opportunity to get out from under their current contracts or device plans and give us a shot! We're optimistic that with moves we've made to eliminate pain points (like surprise roaming fees just for vacationing for a weekend), and great services and perks at an awesome value, we'll keep customers here once they try us out! Many of our device incentives that are BOGOs do have the requirement of adding a line, but existing customers can add that line -- these offers aren't exclusive to new customers! We also offer trade-in promotions like our recent iPhone offer that have no additional line requirement involved.

We'd hate to see you go because of this. I know you mentioned that going over 5GB isn't something that has happened to you often, but it makes sense that if you travel frequently at some point it might. I do want you to know that if you decide to stay with us (and we hope you will), you can use #674# on your device to stay on top of how much data you've used. If you have T-Mobile ONE, you can always add the T-Mobile ONE Plus International feature on the off-chance that you hit one of those months where you're using more than 5GB in Mexico, just for the month, and remove it when you return! I know offering this solution isn't the same as what you've been used to, and I'm sorry again for the change. Thanks again for taking the time to let us know how you feel about it.

- Marissa

• gwprigge

Marissa

Thank you for your reply.  You have obviously had this complaint before, and have answered it many times.

As a brief aside, I find it interesting that a communications company can change the terms of service whenever they wish, but the customer has no rights whatsoever.  I will ask my friends iat the FCC about that the next time we get together.

Unfortunately, although you admitted that T-Mobile has done what I reported, your reply is without a solution.  You said that 99% do not reach 5GB, so your management arbitrarily set the cap at that level, so in case any of the 99% exceed that point, they will be punished with painfully slow rates.  If your managers truly wanted to curtail the over-users, and not damage their legion of common customers, they would have set the cut point modestly higher.  Your attempt at palliation results in having to throw more fees into the T-Mobile maw.  That's something I am now rapidly steering away from.

As for T-Mobile's cold shoulder to the loyal minions, your logic there leaves me unimpressed with T-Mobile's sincerity, particularly the lack thereof.

Now that the Sprint merger has again failed, you will have to work harder to keep what  you have.  We will be like lemmings if the attitude isn't changed.  1 and 2 and now #4 are waiting with gifts galore.

Regards

• tmo_marissa

Thanks for taking the time to read over my reply!

In candor, I haven't actually personally replied to any threads here specifically about the change to MWB; but from time to time we do have folks express a desire for more promotions for existing users. The initial UnCarrier move -- the elimination of contracts -- was about being open regarding the most common practice in wireless promotions at the time, which were device incentives. The industry standard at that point was to offer discounts on new equipment and recoup losses by gaining contracted subscribers. Once we eliminated contracts and decided to just be up front about the cost of phones (set by MFR) and the cost of our service, and offer no contract but interest free device financing instead, a lot of what used to be seen as standard promotions did go away -- but from our thinking, they weren't real discounts in the first place. From time to time in recent years we've offered added value in the form of service enhancements instead -- Mobile Without Borders being a good example of that, and although they're not as relevant now that most of our subscribers are on T-Mobile ONE, BingeOn and Music Freedom are another two that were a big deal when they happened.

Five years ago, you would have become a customer just as we were laying the foundation for these changes -- a lot has changed in the wireless industry since then, as other carriers followed suit with their own financing programs, and services that are similar to JUMP! or JUMP! On Demand, etc. I think your feedback regarding the fact that there are few big incentives for existing customers is valuable, and we can definitely forward that, because you're right -- it is a different scene than it used to be. I want to stress that we strive to offer superior service with more thoughtful consideration of what a consumer wants and needs, along with an ever-expanding network, at a phenomenal value, and that's how we're aiming to keep customers.

I know our CEO did touch on the reasons behind the close of merger talks here -- I am confident that this wouldn't have been the right choice for our customers, and I hope that as time goes on the majority of them will remain happy here as we have no plans of ceasing to innovate to improve the industry. But tidbits is right in that you have to do what is best for you -- if the changes to MWB no longer meet your needs and you're able to get those needs better met with another service, as sad as that would make us, that was part of the point of being the UnCarrier. We want to offer our customers more for the right price, rather than sneakily lock them in to a two year contract that has them salivating but helpless when the other guy offers something that's a better fit for them or their family.

I can't speak to what a better cap on MWB data would be, as admittedly we aren't in the room where it happens when these decisions are made, but I know this isn't a convenient change for those folks who are impacted, no matter how few of them there are. I'm sorry again for that; and we'll pass that feedback along as well.

Thank you again for your time, and sorry for the novel!

- Marissa

• miket

TM has NO contracts.  So - not only can TM change terms or even cancel at any time, so can the customer.

The 1% who abuse various services s/b cut off so the rest of us can maintain the benefits. 

Terms do change, drastically at times, w. intl roaming.  A few years ago Vietnam was one of the 100+ free roaming countries. A couple years ago it was dropped and voice is now $5+/min.