Mobile HotSpot question

mrmosmo

Can anyone tell me why tmobile decided to block the Note 8 from being a mobile hotspot? This is a real bummer!

All replies

• tidbits

Re: Mobile HotSpot question

T-Mobile has not.  They give tethering as part of their plan.  I think the Samsung rep you asked probably gave you a generic message which doesn't apply to T-Mobile.

• cesaribenitez95

Mine works just fine... till I get in my car and drive.

• tmo_marissa

Hey, mrmosmo! A Note 8 should totally be capable of being used as a hotspot -- what happens when you try to tether with your phone? What type of plan do you have?

Also, cesaribenitez95, that's a bummer! I use my hotspot in my car to keep Netflix running for the little people and don't know what I'd do without it. Are you using a Note 8, too? Do you have better service at home than outside?

• cesaribenitez95

(side note: when I tag anyone on a reply the page either scrolls up or down when I type which is a big problem when I am trying to reply.)

I do have the Note 8, and I dont have issues with the internet, but I have notice that from time to time I have to reset the data connection for the Hotspot to keep a connection active. Like right now I had to switch to my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8A to be able to stay online via my laptop running on win 10.

tmo_marissa

• tmo_marissa

That's a little weird, cesaribenitez95! Do you notice any patterns -- does it time out after a certain length of time? Are you toggling airplane mode to reset the connection when that happens, or does turning the hotspot off/back on do the trick? 

Side note reply to your side note -- I am bummed to say that I do know about this tagging/scrolling issue, and I'm sorry you're also experiencing it! The good news is that Chris filed a ticket for it, so hopefully a fix is in the works!

• cesaribenitez95

well I just had the phone for a month which I cant pick a pattern just yet. But what i do have its that it stops working after 5 mins, then I just change the setting on network mode from LTE/4G/3G/2G TO 2G wait a min then go back to lte/4g/3g/2g. That buys me another 5 to 8 mins but in some areas I get lucky and up to 30 mins before I have to reset it. I know its not the network since my tab works just a bit slow due to that i am on a 2GB plan.

• mrmosmo

What app should I use, I can not find the t-mobile hotspot app and I have tried Foxfi which tells me it cannot connect. So I am curious app I should try?

• dragon1562

This is very odd issue. Just for the sake of curiosity do you know what plan you our specifically on? Also what version of software is your note 8 running?

• mrmosmo

So I was able to find the setting through the settings menu and I am able to get it to work now. I have an unlimited plan and have been using my phone as a hotspot for a long time. Then I got the note 8 and it did not have the nice little shortcut app that has been coming on my previous phones. I have used foxfi in the past before tmobile add the app and I installed it and it came up giving me an error(see attached image) so I tried another one( don't remember which one it was now) and it gave me a similar error. So I thought I would ask here. But the issue seems to be resolved now thank you all for your help.FoxFiError.png

• tidbits

Seems like a bug as I don't get that message. The only way I see this happening is if you were on a super old legacy plan that doesn't allow tethering. If that was the cause then the other devices you used wouldn't do it either.

Doesn't makes sense at all for T-Mobile for blocking wireless tethering of devices even though they offer tethering data within their plans.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • dragon1562

Glad to hear that it resolved itself.

• nelfar212

I'm going to echo everyone else, If your one a plan that has Hotspot Data then It should work.  My TAB s doesn't have a hotspot plan because it's an add on to my NASC plan the only difference is, all data usage is counted against my 5gb allotment which is fine. I mostly use it to run my Plex Upnp. I going to try my Note 8 hotspot when I get home to see if I can duplicate the issue.