Branched from an earlier discussion.

$300 Trade in problem

wilsonat

I called T-mobile Ordered the iPhone X and told the rep that I wanted the $300 promo credit for trading in my iPhone 6 that is paid for under the line that was being used to order iPhone X. The rep told me that I would trade it in after I received my new phone. I'm thinking they just wanted to get rid of me to get the next order. It didn't sound right after it was over so I wrote T-mobile chat and they said No, I had to arrange trade in during the purchase of the new phone. So, I called and the rep said that I could return it to a T-mobile store but I highly doubt that. She didn't sound sure at all and now I see this post and it just confirms it. The first rep just decided to screw me over and the last one just lied to me.

All replies

• tmo_marissa

Re: $300 Trade in problem

Oh, no! wilsonat, $300 is no small sum and it's definitely not something we want you to miss out on, especially not if we dropped the ball during the original order. I know you noted the response we gave on the original thread you commented on (I moved your reply since that post had already been marked correct), but you're right, the trade-in does have to be created when the order is completed. The only time the original device would be returned to a retail location after the fact would be when JUMP! On Demand lease upgrade is completed -- the return authorization is created automatically when the new JOD order is placed, and we only complete JOD returns in the store because they must be inspected. With JUMP!, you'd ship back the original using a label made when your order is placed. With an EIP and trade-in, we'd need to collect the IMEI and details of the device you're wanting to trade while we're placing the new order so that the label could be created.

Typically, when a trade-in is missed, we can cancel the order if it's not yet shipped and place a new order with a trade-in attached, or if the order has shipped, then you can refuse the shipment and we can place a new order when the original arrives back. In a limited number of scenarios, we have an internal escalation process for the iPhone promo we may be able to use in a situation like this. A team that can make account changes can review the account to see if this scenario is a candidate for this escalation -- if it is, we'd need to work with an offline internal team to get this resolved. I know you mentioned working with our Care team initially and afterward, and having reached out to Chat in between. If you're active on social media, I'd highly recommend our T-Force team. They're available through Twitter and Facebook, and in those channels they can verify your account details and see what we can do to help out here. You can link to this thread since you've already explained the situation here!

- Marissa

• maginb

Similar problem, but my experience got much worse with the terrible customer support experienced at the T-Mobile Store in Weston, Florida.

On October 27th, I called the T-Mobile number and ordered 2 IPhone Xs and at that time, the representative told me that once I received my new iPhones I would be able to go to any of the stores and trade in my old devices in order to get the $300 rebate for each phone. I received the new phones and when I visited the T-Mobile store in Indian Trace & Saddle Club Rd,284 INDIAN TRCE, WESTON, FL 33326-4509. they told me that since the original sales representative did not take the IMEI of my old phones to process the trade in, they will not be able to give me the credit. The manager at the store (Ahmed Z.) told me that the system was inflexible and that the only option I had was to return my two new IPhone Xs and place a new order for new phones and at that time, they will process the trade correctly. I told him that was absurd and that he should call someone at the corporate office or his supervisor, to escalate the issue until someone with the right empowerment would override the system and process the request. He refused to do so in a very impolite manner. At that moment, I decided to call myself the T-Mobile customer support number, while I was in the store. The representative who answered (named Sasha) not only was very polite, but efficient as in a manner of 10 minutes was able to resolve the issue and sent me the shipping labels by email to ship my old phones back to T-Mobile.

This is the last time I will ever set foot in a T-Mobile store. In this particular case, I don’t know if the store manager was only interested on making a commission on a new sale or, was simply just ignorant of the company’s procedures, in any case I hope that with this complaint T-Mobile will be able to fine tune their customer experience practices.

• tmo_marissa

Thank you for the feedback, maginb! I'm so sorry that you had this experience in our retail location, and we'll forward the concern on. I'm very glad you were able to reach a representative familiar with this escalation process who was able to get things worked out for you -- to be honest, from my understanding this was something that a manager had to complete, so it's awesome to hear that a representative was able to get you the labels and get the escalation submitted to the offline team. I'm sorry that you had to go that route at all, rather than simply being able to complete your trade-ins when your orders were placed as intended, but it's a relief to know you were taken care of -- thanks for taking the time to share your experience here, both the negative and positive.

- Marissa

• maginb

Yes, it was both a negative and positive experience but it should have to be like that, you should aim to make ONLY POSITIVE. The original sales representative could have been better trained on the process and the manager at the store could have been more helpful and he should have made the escalation himself, not me. I lost my time travelling miles to go to the store hoping it would make it quicker and better experience. Your comments make it look like a simple issue with a splendid solution but, it was only thanks to myself and to Sasha (in the phone customer support dept.), not to the other two employees which almost made me lose $600. I can’t imagine how many customers were told the same story and are probably losing their well-earned rebates…it is just not fair and, it could even be called a deceiving marketing campaign. I cannot leave it at that

Please, let me know if this complaint has been filed formally to the highest level possible. If not, please let me know which other communication channels are available to make sure it reaches the right people within T-Mobile.

Regards,

Magín B

*edited to remove personal info - M.

• tmo_marissa

Please know that I agree with you wholeheartedly -- we want every interaction to be a good one! It wasn't my intention to come across as dismissive of the issue, and I apologize sincerely for not making that clear. We can forward general feedback here and will; but to file a formal incident report you'd want to Contact Us to work with a team who has account access so that all details can be recorded. Thank you!

• magenta3447836

I'm having huge issues with T-Mobile and their trade-in program as well. First, I ordered 2 new iPhone X's (for upgrades) and they sent me 3 so I had to deal with returning 1 of them, which should have been simple but was a hassle in itself. Then, I shipped both iPhone 6S phones back (the ones being upgraded -- both Space Grey & 65GB) in the SAME box per the representatives request. What happened after that has been such a nightmare to deal with.

First T-Mobile claimed the phones were not returned and they needed the tracking number to confirm it was in fact delivered back to their warehouse. When the box was finally located, they said there was only 1 phone in the box. Impossible. Then they said there was an "issue" with one of the phones, but they had to further investigate what that meant. I called at least 8-10 times and spent over 7+ hours with them on the phone, and the "issue" turned out to be that the second phone they claimed was returned was an iPhone 6S Plus in Silver, 32GB so they were reducing my credit amount from $300 to $118. This is also IMPOSSIBLE as I have NEVER owned an iPhone 6S Plus. So this is clearly someone else's phone, and the phone I returned has somehow gone missing and T-Mobile insists that this phone was included in the box I shipped back and that basically I just lost $200.

I am beyond livid at this point and am so incredibly disappointed that I switched from Verizon to join T-Mobile only months ago. I never had any issues like this with Verizon and will be looking into switching back immediately. My friend who is on my plan has been with T-Mobile for 8 YEARS. And you'd think that they'd figure out how to a) find my phone and fix this mess or b) cover the $200 in order to keep a relationship with their customers. I mean, why would any sane person spend 7+ hours on the phone with T-Mobile?? It's principle, and I refuse to be cheated out of $200.

• tmo_marissa

Yowch, magenta3447836! This isn't the kind of welcome mat we like to lay out for new customers. I'm sorry to read that we advised you to ship the phones together - I know our Trade in device policy suggests that each phone needs to be shipped with the label that matches its IMEI in order to ensure that it's properly matched to the Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) code that ties it back to your account -- I am so sorry if we recommended otherwise and landed you in this predicament.

When the warehouse team assesses the value for a device as less than originally offered (in this case a lower value than the promotional offer) we're supposed to take photos of the phone to support that evaluation. While we can't look through customer accounts from this user forum, our T-Force team (on Twitter and FB as mentioned above) can take a look for you! I believe that without a photo there may be an escalation process we can follow to make this right for you!

- Marissa