iphone X Jump upgrade confusion

jcs2000

Hi. I have been with T-Mobile for a while.

Switched from AT&T several years ago.

I have used the JUMP program to go from a 5S --> 6 --> 6S --> 7.

I did not JUMP to iPhone 8 as I knew I wanted to get the X.

When I went to JUMP to the X I had to pay $279 upfront where before I paid nothing.

I am wondering actually what I am getting with the JUMP program. I have been told I have the original program.

My JUMP fee is $12 a month. Maybe the program is not worth it given you have these new upfront costs.

The residual on the iPhone 7 was 297.00 so that will be cleared out when I send the phone back but is that worth $12 a month??.

I generally upgrade when Apple release a new iPhone. I have great credit and always pay on time with auto-pay.

Crux of the question--when is the JUMP program worth it given now there are all these upfront upgrade fees?

Thanks

All replies

• tidbits

Re: iphone X Jump upgrade confusion

This has been discussed when they first introduced jump.  It's only really worthwhile if you jump every year or every 6 months.  Any time after the the value drops greatly.  Some devices have very poor resale value and at times it's better to have jump than it is to be stuck with the device and trying to sell it or buying it outright.

You may be paying $12 for Jump and think it should count towards the cost of the device?  The insurance portion the underwriter gets the majority if not all of the device.  They are the ones buying the device from you so you can move to another.  They wouldn't be doing that if they think they couldn't turn a profit. With Jump on Demand which is free and no underwriter you take some of the risk, and T-Mobile does by leasing you the device.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_chris

Thanks for taking the time to post to our community! I totally get how seeing that you have to now make a down payment on a phone where you had not had to in the past can be a bummer! The truth of the matter is that the iPhone X (even the 64GB version) is a super expensive phone and there is a limit to how much you can have on an installment plan per line. Since the phone is so expensive, that limit is reached rather quickly and the extra is what is due up from along with the taxes.

The cost for the JUMP feature includes the device insurance which covers your phone for accidental damage or theft. The standalone insurance feature is anywhere from $7-$10 depending on your device and the extra is for the ability to trade in your device and have the EIP canceled out allowing you to JUMP to a new phone and not have to pay off 2 phones.

• magenta3148370

I have been with T-Mobile for 12 years T-Mobiles choice to make jod customers to pay 280 is b.s.  I purchased a note 8 at 950 my down payment was 0 and my monthly payments are 39 I wanted to upgrade to the iphone x they said I needed 280 down I asked why the iPhone is way expensive I was told  I said my note 8 is 950 and the iPhone is 999 if I put the iPhone x on payments it would be 45 dollars,  6 dollars more than note 8. T-Mobile is ripping off their jod customers off you know next year we are going to upgrade so they keep the 280, they keep the phone and they keep the payments and what do they do sell the phone for 700 used, keep your 280 and your payments that's not fair how can they do this of course for money to me all my 12 loyal years went out the door me and my wife downgraded from the note 8s and got 2 htc u11s which are 300 dollar phones we are paying them off and switching it hurts but what TMobile is doing is terrible it's making money off the consumers in a bad bad way. When I asked customer service what if I put the 49 dollars down which makes it the same price they laughed at me and said wouldn't that be nice.

• magenta3148370

Here is my answer to your the iPhone x is expensive and why you need 280 down.I have been with T-Mobile for 12 years T-Mobiles choice to make jod customers to pay 280 is b.s.  I purchased a note 8 at 950 my down payment was 0 and my monthly payments are 39 I wanted to upgrade to the iphone x they said I needed 280 down I asked why the iPhone is way expensive I was told  I said my note 8 is 950 and the iPhone is 999 if I put the iPhone x on payments it would be 45 dollars,  6 dollars more than note 8. T-Mobile is ripping off their jod customers off you know next year we are going to upgrade so they keep the 280, they keep the phone and they keep the payments and what do they do sell the phone for 700 used, keep your 280 and your payments that's not fair how can they do this of course for money to me all my 12 loyal years went out the door me and my wife downgraded from the note 8s and got 2 htc u11s which are 300 dollar phones we are paying them off and switching it hurts but what TMobile is doing is terrible it's making money off the consumers in a bad bad way. When I asked customer service what if I put the 49 dollars down which makes it the same price they laughed at me and said wouldn't that be nice.