Samsung S8 Android Update

rsnic

Hi,

I have a Samsung S8 and think it's a terrific device! I got it last April and it came with Android 7.0.

Now I am reading about Android version 8.  My question is when will we get an update to the Android operating system?  Also, it has been a while since I got an update from T-Mobile, which normally happens monthly?

Sure would like to at least go beyond version 7.0

Appreciate any thoughts or recommendations!

All replies

• stevetjr

Re: Samsung S8 Android Update

Updates come from Samsung, not T-Mobile.  Samsung has stated they plan on updating the S8/S8+ to Oreo (Android 8) but they never actually give a release date although last year for the 7 they actually offered a public beta prior to release but again that it is all up to Samsung as they have to do the programing for each carrier's variant.  The only part TMO has in the process is testing the software prior to release and approving it or rejecting it.  If they reject it obviously it goes back to Samsung ot fix the issues, if they approve it then Samsung sets the release date and releases it at their discretion.

• tmo_marissa

Hiya rsnic! stevetjr is on point with the way a software update is created and works its way to a phone. We haven't heard any word on upcoming SW updates for the S8, but if you click the follow button on this page: Software updates: Samsung Galaxy S8 you'll be alerted when software is updated!

• rsnic

stevetjr,

tmo_marissa,

While I realize that updates come from Samsung, T-Mobile does some kind of testing and then provides to users over the air -- and I do understand that you all are kind of caught in the middle.

What spurred this question was an article that talked about testing of Android version 8.o

Having said that, however, as one of many who have the "latest & greatest" Samsung phone, am just curious as to why we haven't even gotten the intermediate update to Android version 7 -- I have version 7.0 on my phone??

Really curious?

Thanks

• stevetjr

If you look back at history Samsung has a history of bailing in

intermediate updates like in this case 7.0.1 I once they start working in

the next OS.  One thing I have noticed though again based on history is

that even though they may not do all of the intermediate update items they

will incorporate pieces of them into updates they do put out but since it

may be not a the complete .1 update they can't call it 7.0.1.

Also once TMO approves it, it's still actually Samsung that releases the

update from their servers.

• rsnic

tmo_marissa,

stevetjr,

Understand, just hate to be "left behind" and some of the features seem awfully handy.

Please look at the this site -- hence my questions:  https://search.app.goo.gl/v9dP

Thanks

• rsnic

stevetjr

Thanks