Samsung S8 Android Update

rsnic

Hi,

I have a Samsung S8 and think it's a terrific device! I got it last April and it came with Android 7.0.

Now I am reading about Android version 8.  My question is when will we get an update to the Android operating system?  Also, it has been a while since I got an update from T-Mobile, which normally happens monthly?

Sure would like to at least go beyond version 7.0

Appreciate any thoughts or recommendations!

All replies

• stevetjr

Re: Samsung S8 Android Update

Updates come from Samsung, not T-Mobile.  Samsung has stated they plan on updating the S8/S8+ to Oreo (Android 8) but they never actually give a release date although last year for the 7 they actually offered a public beta prior to release but again that it is all up to Samsung as they have to do the programing for each carrier's variant.  The only part TMO has in the process is testing the software prior to release and approving it or rejecting it.  If they reject it obviously it goes back to Samsung ot fix the issues, if they approve it then Samsung sets the release date and releases it at their discretion.

• majorhavoc

So if you ask Samsung, they say that the carrier is also responsible for the update as they have to add in their carrier specific changes and additions. So Samsung is blaming carriers while carriers are blaming Samsung. Hard to know who to believe.

And, BTW, there are now dozens of sites showing the S8 and S8+ running the new OS as early back as the beginning of March. So the update is obviously out there already (these were not Beta updates.) So I tend to believe that T-Mobile may be the hold back here and not Samsung.

• tmo_marissa

Hiya rsnic! stevetjr is on point with the way a software update is created and works its way to a phone. We haven't heard any word on upcoming SW updates for the S8, but if you click the follow button on this page: Software updates: Samsung Galaxy S8 you'll be alerted when software is updated!

• rsnic

stevetjr,

tmo_marissa,

While I realize that updates come from Samsung, T-Mobile does some kind of testing and then provides to users over the air -- and I do understand that you all are kind of caught in the middle.

What spurred this question was an article that talked about testing of Android version 8.o

Having said that, however, as one of many who have the "latest & greatest" Samsung phone, am just curious as to why we haven't even gotten the intermediate update to Android version 7 -- I have version 7.0 on my phone??

Really curious?

Thanks

• stevetjr

If you look back at history Samsung has a history of bailing in

intermediate updates like in this case 7.0.1 I once they start working in

the next OS.  One thing I have noticed though again based on history is

that even though they may not do all of the intermediate update items they

will incorporate pieces of them into updates they do put out but since it

may be not a the complete .1 update they can't call it 7.0.1.

Also once TMO approves it, it's still actually Samsung that releases the

update from their servers.

• rsnic

tmo_marissa,

stevetjr,

Understand, just hate to be "left behind" and some of the features seem awfully handy.

Please look at the this site -- hence my questions:  https://search.app.goo.gl/v9dP

Thanks

• rsnic

stevetjr

Thanks

• stevetjr

The manufactures in this case Samsung own the code and are not going to let anyone have access to the code or "add their carrier specific changes".  As noted in this article it is the manufacturers who add said code with the carriers blessing and/or requirement.  All the carrier does is test and/or approve it for use on their network.  For a while for instance even though Google made Wi-Fi calling as a standard feature in Android AT&T & Verizon who's network didn't support it, didn't want their customers seeing an option on their phones their respective networks didn't support so they required Samsung (and all other Android phones) to "hide" the menu option.  One thing to understand is T-Mobile has more advanced features on their network active and live than the other carriers, they have pieces but not all combined not to mention frequencies the other carriers don't have or have active yet like Band 66 (AWS-3) which combines/aggregates other Bands. Each carrier even if they have some bands in common have to have specific radio programming so the radio if it see's two bands knows which one to use or with Gigabit LTE combine and use them all.  In theory it should be getting better as it looks like Samsung has moved away from having a -T, -A, -S & -V model number and they are all -U (for US) with just different carrier loads but the technology is all the same which used to add to the challenge because each version had slightly different hardware.

But just Google it and you will see Samsung has always been a lot slower at updates, better phone slower updates :-)

How Carriers and Manufacturers Make Your Android Phone’s Software Worse

"Still, when it comes to system updates, not only do the manufacturers have to build custom versions of Android for each handset they produce, but the carriers also have to approve said update—this can mean long waits for simple updates, or updates never coming in the first place. It’s the grim reality of system updates on Android, and it’s something that hasn’t changed as dramatically as many have hoped it would over the last half-decade."

• majorhavoc

Thanks Steve. I will admit I worked on mobile phone technology (hardware and firmware), but it has been  quite a few years, so obviously things have changed a bit. Appreciate the update.

But I do recall a time when the carrier submitted their software to the build to be incorporated into specific Android builds for their network, and yes, then were required to test everything.  Times have obviously changed.

So let me ask a follow-up question then: I have an S8 I bought and originally started on the AT&T network. I have moved it to T-Mobile, and I am well aware of the different bands that this phone may have that T-Mobile does not use, and ones T-Mobile uses that I don't have. (I like the AT&T version as it seems to work much better in Europe and Asia, because it worked in countries where T-Mobile said their phones would not, but I digress.) So, when a major Android update does finally come out for the S8 on T-mobile, am I going to have issues with that update now that I am a T-Moblie customer and not an AT&T customer? Just curious. Seems you might know.

Cheers

• stevetjr

If you have an AT&T phone it won't have nor will it run the TMO version of the software unless you do something with XDA and load it that way which of course is unsupported.  It should update when AT&T has a the update and you most likely will always have to use Smart Switch to update it since you won't get an AT&T update OTA on the TMO network.  

1 of 1 people found this helpful