verizon phone on t-mobile tech problems

gnswartz22395

just switched but kept our verizon samsung galaxy stratosphere II SCH i415. Yeah, it's old and running Android JellyBean. Some issues with mobile network not always available and also not able to send txt normally. Basically, service is not as good. Our T-mobile phone is working fine in same location. What could be done? Would upgrading to Andorid KitKat help and can it be done? I've already checked with Samsung, Geek Squad and Best Buy and the T-Mobile website. A lot of useless chatting with no consistent, reliable information.

All replies

• snn555

Re: verizon phone on t-mobile tech problems

Well the good thing is is I believe that phone has the necessary GSM bands for talk and text but obviously not for data. If you could change the APN settings to T-Mobile settings you might be able to get limited function from that phone. However it seems from most everything that I have read myself that Verizon has blocked out that menu. So it may not even be possible to manipulate those APN settings to make it work consistently the way it should on T-Mobile. Also note that updating the operating system would make no change.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_marissa

Hey, gnswartz22395, welcome! Is the Stratosphere a slider? If so, I think that was the smartphone I had before I joined the magenta ranks and the Galaxy S series started rolling out! I loved that thing back when I was a nimbly thumbed texting machine.

I think snn555 is right about the SW update -- it wouldn't make a change in the device's compatibility with the network. When you started using the phone with T-Mobile, were you able to locate an APN settings menu where you could manually input the BYOD T-Mobile data & APN settings?

• tmo_amanda

Happy Wednesday, gnswartz22395!

Some helpful info has been passed along here on this thread! Have you had a chance to hunt down the APN settings and try inputting the information that Marissa provided via this link?

Please keep us updated!

• tmo_amanda

Re: verizon phone on t-mobile tech problems

Hey there, gnswartz22395!

I just wanted to swing by one last time to see if you're still having issues with your phone. If so, please make sure your phone mirrors this set-up and let us know how it's functioning afterwards.

• gnswartz22395

Amanda,

Is this the same advice you gave me previously? It still is not working. We have 2 phones in this house, one is a (former) Verizon phone and the other is a T-Mobile phone. Both are on T-Mobile as of several days ago. Two days ago, we downloaded an app called Network Signal Info. Among other things, it indicates that our phones are connecting to different cell towers. Why? The cell tower to which the (former) Verizon phone is connecting is not the closest one. Why? The signal strength is lower on the (former) Verizon phone. Why? The signal is -95 dBm EDGE 220 Kbps (what is EDGE 220 Kbps?).  The T-Mobile phone the signal is -115 dBm LTE. Does this additional information make it possible to get more help?

gnswartz22395

• dragon1562

The former Verizon phone lacks the technology needed to connect  to all of the T-mobile network. It is very likely that the former Verizon phone is connecting to the closest compatible tower. Your only real option is to upgrade to a phone that is compatible with the T-mobile network sadly as this is not a issue of software.

• tmo_amanda

Thank you for getting back to us, gnswartz22395! Yes, that was the previous information I provided but we didn't receive a reply back from you so we weren't sure if you had tried it or not. With the info you provided, dragon1562 is correct in stating that the issue lies within your device. Some unlocked non-T-Mobile devices work flawlessly on our network and others don't work as well. I wish we had better news.