T-Mobile RCS universal profile support

magenta3058433

Hey,

Has anybody heard about the possibility of RCS integration with the universal profile (Google jibe) recently?

this was posted some time ago:

Twitter

Then there was this:

Twitter

Has there been any recent word/plans?

can't wait until I can use RCS with Android messages!

All replies

• tidbits

Re: T-Mobile RCS universal profile support

Everyone when asked says late 2017 which there's 2 more months in 2017 so it should be any day now.  However it doesn't bother me any if I have to wait a bit.  With the Z2 and the problems with it supporting 2 standards in the box caused a lot of problems for those who do group messaging and killing RCS was the only way to fix the issues. 

• magenta3058433

That's weird. Was your Z2 T-Mobile branded or unlocked? Just curious because many times unlocked devices need some modification to APN settings to get MMS to work.

• tidbits

magenta3058433 wrote:

That's weird. Was your Z2 T-Mobile branded or unlocked? Just curious because many times unlocked devices need some modification to APN settings to get MMS to work.

They are all branded.  When you order an unlocked one from Motorola you have to select a carrier for it to initially work on.  MMS work, and SMS worked, but things like notifications from 3rd party apps, and group messaging were broken.  There's a long thread about it and how to remedy the problem which was disabling the RCS packages and everything just works.  We do know the device supports both Universal Profile, and also T-Mobile's original profile.  I think T-Mobile is trying to get both to work for those who have older devices and the newer devices will support Universal.  At this point a lot of these older devices will take a while to get Universal on them.

• tmo_mike_c

That's an awesome question magenta3058433  and thanks for coming here to ask it. I don't have recent word on RCS, but I've heard we'll get some new info on this later. You can always keep an eye out on our Newsroom as we normally release a lot of our service related updates there.

• magenta4017932

Would love to hear news on this. Been waiting and waiting.

• ja_duran

I think they've delayed it twice. Now they won't give updates. The Samsung version they use is terrible but I suppose it's better than nothing. Can't wait for them to implement the universal profile

• tidbits

There's a misconception.

Universal Profile = Samsung or Google.

What is currently being used is T-Mobile own.

There is honestly no difference between them other than interloping.  They all work the same.

• tidbits

They both use the same Universal Profile which interlopes with each other.  So if you have either or they'll work with each other.  Now T-Mobile has their own which they are phasing out and replacing it with UP.

Jibe

https://www.gsma.com/newsroom/blog/new-samsung-galaxy-s8-smartphone-pre-installs-rcs-messaging-based-gsma-universal-prof…

• ja_duran

I'm not a tech expert but I have done a lot of reading online and I found that T-Mobile does use Enhanced Messaging, it's Samsung's product. And while it works the same way, I don't think it works as well. Pictures don't always send and sometimes when they do send, they are compressed (when sending to another Samsung devices on T-Mobile). Videos are limited to 8MB and while I'm not positive, I thought that Google's universal profile allows for larger video transfer. It may not mean much to most people but I like to send hi-res pics/videos to family members. It's the one thing I miss about iMessages.

• magenta4017932

Yes, t mobiles version isn't very good. I'm not sure why everyone won't just go to Google jibe. It's all business I suppose. Everyone takes a side. I would switch to Sprint just to get jibe RCS if their coverage wasn't so bad in my area.

• tidbits

magenta4017932 wrote:

Yes, t mobiles version isn't very good. I'm not sure why everyone won't just go to Google jibe. It's all business I suppose. Everyone takes a side. I would switch to Sprint just to get jibe RCS if their coverage wasn't so bad in my area.

What's the difference between Jibe and T-Mobile version other than interloping?  They are one in the same aside from that.  I am just saying this as people has this misconception because of brand.

• tidbits

ja_duran wrote:

I'm not a tech expert but I have done a lot of reading online and I found that T-Mobile does use Enhanced Messaging, it's Samsung's product. And while it works the same way, I don't think it works as well. Pictures don't always send and sometimes when they do send, they are compressed (when sending to another Samsung devices on T-Mobile). Videos are limited to 8MB and while I'm not positive, I thought that Google's universal profile allows for larger video transfer. It may not mean much to most people but I like to send hi-res pics/videos to family members. It's the one thing I miss about iMessages.

T-Mobile still doesn't use Samsung version because Samsungs product uses UP which we are asking for T-Mobile to support.  There's a lot of misinformation going around.

All UP all up to 2GB of data transfer, but its up to the carrier.  10MB is the limit worldwide so far unless someone can show definitive proof otherwise which not one Sprint customer who uses Jibe has shown it can send over that limit.

iMessages has limitation on what you can send to and the resolution is a lot smaller than people think, and iMessages has 20MB limit iirc on video. Try sending a 30 minute video in 720P video and it will not send.

• alarsen77

I am also wondering when this will be supported? I have a google pixel xl on the t-mobile network and would love for the RCS features in android messages to be supported.

• lloydgm

Ditto. I even asked in another thread for anyone of T-Mobile to respond...it's been a week and nobody has responded, only public forum members and they're just rehashing their own opinions as if they merely love seeing themselves in chat.

I really wish someone from T-Mobile will officially state if & when they'll support the RCS infrastructure. I really could care less about any chat clients...I will pick the best client for my needs, but it must support RCS in a purely cross-platform manner and that means no brand ties.*

* E.g. would you buy TV cable if it only worked correctly with 1 channel, "kind of" worked with a few more channels, and totally failed to work with all the rest? Well I won't use T-Mobile's RCS implementation if they do the same thing. Branding...hah!

• tidbits

lloydgm wrote:

Ditto. I even asked in another thread for anyone of T-Mobile to respond...it's been a week and nobody has responded, only public forum members and they're just rehashing their own opinions as if they merely love seeing themselves in chat.

I really wish someone from T-Mobile will officially state if & when they'll support the RCS infrastructure. I really could care less about any chat clients...I will pick the best client for my needs, but it must support RCS in a purely cross-platform manner and that means no brand ties.*

* E.g. would you buy TV cable if it only worked correctly with 1 channel, "kind of" worked with a few more channels, and totally failed to work with all the rest? Well I won't use T-Mobile's RCS implementation if they do the same thing. Branding...hah!

They already said they were, and working on it.  The standard was only finalized on Nov 2017.