T-Mobile RCS universal profile support

magenta3058433

Hey,

Has anybody heard about the possibility of RCS integration with the universal profile (Google jibe) recently?

this was posted some time ago:

Twitter

Then there was this:

Twitter

Has there been any recent word/plans?

can't wait until I can use RCS with Android messages!

All replies

• tidbits

Re: T-Mobile RCS universal profile support

Everyone when asked says late 2017 which there's 2 more months in 2017 so it should be any day now.  However it doesn't bother me any if I have to wait a bit.  With the Z2 and the problems with it supporting 2 standards in the box caused a lot of problems for those who do group messaging and killing RCS was the only way to fix the issues. 

• magenta3058433

That's weird. Was your Z2 T-Mobile branded or unlocked? Just curious because many times unlocked devices need some modification to APN settings to get MMS to work.

• tidbits

magenta3058433 wrote:

That's weird. Was your Z2 T-Mobile branded or unlocked? Just curious because many times unlocked devices need some modification to APN settings to get MMS to work.

They are all branded.  When you order an unlocked one from Motorola you have to select a carrier for it to initially work on.  MMS work, and SMS worked, but things like notifications from 3rd party apps, and group messaging were broken.  There's a long thread about it and how to remedy the problem which was disabling the RCS packages and everything just works.  We do know the device supports both Universal Profile, and also T-Mobile's original profile.  I think T-Mobile is trying to get both to work for those who have older devices and the newer devices will support Universal.  At this point a lot of these older devices will take a while to get Universal on them.

• tmo_mike_c

That's an awesome question magenta3058433  and thanks for coming here to ask it. I don't have recent word on RCS, but I've heard we'll get some new info on this later. You can always keep an eye out on our Newsroom as we normally release a lot of our service related updates there.