Poor data coverage in DC

magenta3050140

I have been dealing with a huge data black hole in the DC area; specifically on the 495 highway between exit 9 and 11, where it shows full bars, and voice communication works but there is no data. I have complained to the Tmobile twitter reps on multiple times over 2 months, but they keep closing the tickets saying everything is fixed. I go through this area daily on my commute and it is extremely frustrating to have to deal with this ever since I joined tmobile, 2-3 months ago. I understand that their coverage my be slightly inferior to the big two, and coming from Verizon, I did expect this. But having such a huge data black hole on the main expressway around our Nation's capital city, despite numerous complaints is really quite surprising. I feel no one is listening, and more importantly, can't seem to do anything about it. Anyone else has this experience? Any suggestions? I feel I have no choice but to take my lines elese where.

All replies

• dragon1562

Re: Poor data coverage in DC

Hey, sorry that your having issues with your coverage in such a popular location. I'm just a fellow customer like yourself so I can't tell you anything that isn't avaiable as public info but what I can try to help you with the issue.

To start I want to ask if you brought your own device when switching from Verizon? Sometimes things can be a bit wonky with other carriers phones. I'm also curious if you know of anyone else that is being effected in the location mentioned or if you have any other device to use as comparison. I know that I have personally for example had issues with my iPhone where it would have a hard time transitioning or misread a signal.

Also if possible you should try and gather us much info as possible when reporting your calls. I'm sure someone is listening since no normal human wants other people to be unhappy. Also I'm curious if this area is effected 24/7 or just specific hours? I apologize for all the questions I'm just trying to get a better idea of the situration and to see if its something simple that can be fixed.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
        • tmo_amanda

Hey, magenta3050140!

I see that you're new to our Support Community! Welcome!

dragon1562 provided some helpful information as well as asked some questions that would be extremely helpful to know the answers to. While I used to live near Northern VA, I'm not familiar with the exits that you're referring to. Can you give me a bit more info about those street names? Also, do you happen to have one of the ticket numbers that was previously submitted to our Engineers?

I looked at the general DC area and see a TON of upgrades and new towers being built along with congestion. This could be the culprit but I want to be sure that's what's going on.

• magenta3050140

Thank you for both the two comments. So I have have had this issue with a variety of devices, both unlocked and from TMobile. Essentially, in the geographic area in question, I get full bars, and the LTE signal, but almost zero data connectivity. Voice calls work normally. Ever since I have been on tmobile, I have continued to have this issue every day as I pass this area. It is extremely location based, and always happens at the exact same spot for about 500 yards or so. It happens at various times of the day (early morning, at 5 am, noon, and early evening around 6 pm), so is unlikely to be explained by congestion.

I was given multiple ticket numbers, most recently 24156580. The best address I can provide is for a motel in the area in question : 4783 Allentown Road, Camp Springs, MD, 20746.

I have been bringing this to Tmobile's attention for almost 3 months now, on various social media platforms. I have every type of explanation given to me from congestion, to interference from other network signals, to work in progress on a tower. Whatever the real reason is, there is absolutely no justification to have such a huge data blackhole in such a central area of our Nation's capital. I hope that someone in Tmobile can take this seriously and actually do something about it.

• tmo_mike_c

I'm sorry this has been going on for so long, but filing a ticket was definitely the right thing to do. This sounds like coverage changes will need to be made specifically for this area in order to improve the data service. Just referencing the ticket you posted, this is largely due to congestion. There is hope though. The ticket's saying there's site development being done to help ease this data issue. As of right now, the estimated time is Aug of 2018. We do appreciate you bring this to our attention and our engineers are gonna continue to work hard to make changes that'll help.

• magenta3050140

To be very honest, i do not believe this is due to congestion at all. As someone who goes through this area at least twice a day at all hours (I work in a nearby hospital), I have had the same problem at 4-5 am as well as at noon. So, I really feel if you are sincere in resolving this issue, you would relook at this problem, and listen to your customers (me!). I think in this day and age, to have a huge data black hole in the middle of the DC outer loop is really not acceptable. Therefore, I hope you realize that promising a fix 10 months from now may not be compatible with the level of service this area should be receiving. After all, this isn't a rural area by any stretch of imagination!

• dragon1562

Your best bet is to call in every so often and filing tickets for the coverage area until things are fixed. Record the ticket numbers and when you called. Thats what I did when I had coverage issues in my hometown. I brought as much attention to it as humanly possible and kept gathering more and more information to site. I'm sure they will fix it in time as well so long as they are aware of the issue since it is in T-mobile self intrest to have coverage in as  many locations as possible.

I honestly just believe though that this is a issue of ether congestion or a misread from the device.

1 of 1 people found this helpful