Cell Spot or Booster for voice only?

dc5fan

My phone is an S5 (G900A, unlocked) that is set up for voice only. The phone bounces back and forth between Edge and 4G LTE. Lately it stays on the 4G LTE. I have been a customer for a month. I live about 6 miles south of a a tower in Rantoul, IL, and 9 miles north of a tower in Urbana, IL. The phone shows 1 or 2 bars until I get close to either towns. Which gadget, Spot or Booster, would help me? Remember, I just do calls on my phone.

All replies

• snn555

Re: Cell Spot or Booster for voice only?

Booster might be the easiest. It takes the number of bars outside and sends them inside. So if you have 3 outside you get 3 inside.

The LTE Cellspot connects to your high speed internet modem but will give 5 bars inside. Keep in mind that calls started at home may not handoff to the network when you leave and vice versa.

The Wi-Fi cellspot is probably a no go because your ATT phone probably doesnt have tmobile Wi-Fi calling.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • dc5fan

snn555: Thanks for some good info. My S5 does have a setting for WI-FI calling, but I would never use it. My phone is using a Mediacom router for my calls. I have a company who supplies my internet service. The BOOSTER makes the better sense. If I get 3 bars instead of 1 that will help. If you know this should the gadget be placed in the window pointed towards the closest tower? What's nice about my part of Illinois is it is flatter than a pancake around here. I think that I am getting the same reception that I got from AT&T. What's nice the Booster only needs a $25 deposit.

• drnewcomb2

What would probably help you more than anything else is a new phone. The G900A lacks band-12. I doubt it has WiFi Calling. Either of which would solve your problem.  Really, it's like you've got a '58 Nash and are asking if you should fit it with Michelin or Pirelli tires.  

• dc5fan

drnewcomb2: Right now an updated phone is not an option. When the time comes that T-Mo makes this null and void I will continue to pay the $3 a month until I can find something. It will be a T-Mo phone. The phone works well as it is. Thanks for your input.

• snn555

These boosters and cellspot are only for post paid customers I believe. Prepaid plans are not eligible I don't think.

• snn555

I second DrNewcomb2.

You really need to get a tmobile phone.

• dc5fan

Another phone at this time just ain't happening. Perhaps I should have stayed with AT&T.

• drnewcomb2

Some of AT&T's MVNO's have good deals, particularly for voice-only plans. You might want to check out Consumer Cellular and Cricket Wireless.

• snn555

I've heard great things about ATT Go and Cricket.

• snn555

I've noticed you've had a lot of issues lately with your AT&T branded Samsung Galaxy S5. I applaud you for trying to make it work however it seems like the case is a round peg in a square hole and forcing something that is not the most ideal almost seems like it may or may not be worth it.  I realized that your budget is a concern. Of course I would always at least in my opinion persuade someone to go with what makes sense for their budget if keeping that phone is of the utmost importance then I would think one may stay with a network for which that phone is 100% compatible. I also realize that you use it for voice only which of course opens the possibility of using that phone on any gsm network and perhaps other networks if they are LTE only however a lot of networks still don't use LTE only so you would have to fall back to typical voice bands where your phone would find issue in being compatible. I would think that again if you were to keep that phone you would need a network that is best suited for it and if you found T-Mobile's Network better and the budget was more apt to be met with TMobile then perhaps you would stay and get a phone at some point that works with it 100%. However in the end most people choose their service based upon their coverage success and the price of that plan. Once you find a plan that works you can usually hold on to it for a great long while whereas with phones and devices those are much more easily changed and updated.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                    • dc5fan

snn555: Before I left AT&T I did about 2 weeks of research. I learned that both T-Mobile and AT&T were the closest of bands used. T-Mobiles $3 a month plan includes 30 minutes free then 10 cents a minute. At AT&T I was able to stop texts, but only to receive them from AT&T. My average monthly cost was $7.50, and I didn't get any free minutes. This plan with T-Mo was perfect, and I don't receive any texts from anybody. I now see the 4G LTE logo at the top of my S5 screen most of the time. I live in a flat farm area near Champaign/Urbana, IL. I mean this area is FLAT for miles around. I may have cried wolf when I shouldn't have. The phone works just as well here as when it was on AT&T (1 bar). I hope I am here to stay, but I probably should behave myself. Thanks for your post!

• dc5fan

Yesterday I learned that my S5 has a SIGNAL STRENGTH meter. I understand dBm and asu. The meter shows I have T-Mobile and the LTE signal. This morning I went to Rantoul, IL where I received 5 bars, -95 dBm and 45 asu. Once in awhile I see the EDGE logo.The meter is a big help. A fully charged battery also helps. Imagine that!